Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

allergies to red wine

Posted by annette 
allergies to red wine
November 21, 2004 06:19AM
Is this a common problem or just me?
I find even with one glass of Red Wine I feel like I have been hit by a bus for about 2 days.
I have started drinking Organic Wine and have found that o.k. Our local bottle store sold a Red Wine with a 'V' - vegans symbol stating that was Organic - I don't think so, as all weekend I have been laid low after 1 glass of this wine on Friday night.
Does anyone else have this problem, I would love to have feedback.

Re: allergies to red wine
November 21, 2004 07:06AM
Perhaps it's your liver trying to tell you that it can't tolerate alcohol, have you tried drinking anything alcoholic other than red wine?

I used to drink alot more - and am now unable to - a couple of glasses of wine is my limit these days - or I pay the next day.

If the wine was certified Vegan - it probably was - I think it's just alcohol in general that your body can't tolerate - or perhaps the tannin in red?

If you try to eliminate something then introduce it a few weeks later you can tell if it s the allergen - clear as mud ??- but an elimination diet is a reliable way to cheaply diagnose yourself.

hope this helps...
Re: allergies to red wine
November 21, 2004 08:28AM
Thanks Lynley,

I must say since visiting a Health Resort in Thailand 18 months I have cut out caffine altoghter, just drink lime/lemon water, so perhaps that has abit to do with it - I have never been able to drink much.
Re: allergies to red wine
November 22, 2004 01:58AM
Wish I had that problem!!!:}
Re: allergies to red wine
November 22, 2004 07:45AM
I have a friend who is a bit of a wine buff, but there are certain wines she cant drink, or she feels just like you Annette. She's found that some wines contain more preservatives than others, and its those with more preservatives that cause her grief!
She is fine with pure NZ wine, but if it has been blended with a wine from another country that uses a higher percentage of preservatives, then she has trouble.
I just checked the cask of white wine I have open at the moment and its is a wine from Argentina (didnt realise that before) and it has preservatives 220 and 202. A bottle of red I have here from Australia has preservative 220.
There could be something in that theory I guess ??

Re: allergies to red wine
November 22, 2004 08:42AM
Hi Annette,
Yes I too have a bad reaction to red wine. Half a glass is enough to give me a headache and leaves me sleepy.The fumes from it also make my skin itch.
I can have half a glass of white occasionally, any more than that and I'm oh so sleepy.
Raewyn G
Re: allergies to red wine
November 22, 2004 10:53AM
Oh! you poor darlings with your allergy to wine!
Glad to say that I don't have that problem, maybe one day will get to have a glass or two with Lynette PNG, and a little crayfish to tantilize the taste buds!!
Re: allergies to red wine
December 17, 2004 05:31AM
Guys, so happy to see you!
For a long time i have been saying that i had an intolerance to red wine, however i can drink white with no problems. I drink beer regularly , with no problem. Last weekend i attended a company xmas party, i had 2 glasses of white wine with supper, i ended up completely drunk, i have no memory of most of the evening after. I behaved inappropriately , apparently. I had decided that i could not drink wine at all, then my husband told me that another person at the party who is a habitual wine drinker experienced a similar reaction to mine. We believe that the restaurant may have been serving home made wine under the guise of 'house wine' and that they may not have controlled the sulphites properly, and we were having a reaction to the sulphites. Both he and i have adverse reactions to msg's. Any ideas, comments?
Raewyn G
Re: allergies to red wine
December 17, 2004 07:30AM
Sounds like it was spiked with something!!!!!!?:-(
Re: allergies to red wine
December 19, 2004 11:04AM
I haven't been able to drink white wine or bubbles for a few years now, half a glass and the next day or two I feel hung over. Its very sad. I can drink red wine though but have to limit that to two classes. I can drink Bourbon no problems at all, so that tends to be my staple8).
Re: allergies to red wine
December 19, 2004 07:56PM

Some weird and wonderful pictures in my mind: do you sit at your school desk and drink red wine while the teacher is teaching? Are you fit for the classes that follow the two you drink through. :}:}:}

Re: allergies to red wine
December 20, 2004 10:18AM

Ggggggggggg as in "glasses" .... ah what a difference one letter can make and change the whole context of whatever it was I was trying to say. Glad I sent your imagination into a spin though and put a few cheesey smiles on your dial.


Re: allergies to red wine
December 21, 2004 10:48AM
Wine contains Histamines, this is why so many people feel so bad after a few wines. I believe red wines contain the most. Leighton Smith often comments on this subject. I know heaps of people who wake up with sinus and headaches after 1 or 2 glasses. Many people in NZ use antihistamine sprays, best to cut down if you can! I personally love a glass of red wine or bubbles but pay for it the next day.

Re: allergies to red wine
December 30, 2004 05:09AM
Hi there,

I know that if I have 1 glass of wine,perhaps not even a whole glass the backs of my hands get hot and red and blotchy.
Then my neck and chest and arms begin to get hot and blotchy too.

Is this an allergy?

I am not a drinker but was just wondering.

Re: allergies to red wine
December 30, 2004 10:31PM
Interested in this thread, as my 2nd daughter is home on holiday, and she has for a while suspected that she is allergic to something in wine. She has been having problems with eczema and has got to the point where she isn't too sure whether it is her imagination or not, but after a glass of wine gets very itchy and blotchy. She has been to see an allergy specialist and has started keeping a food diary, but due to study committments hasn't been back to see him and discuss it since the diary. He did suggest to her, that some people are sensitive to the preservatives in foods, and we are wondering if that is what is happening with the wine. Isn't it a pain though....??
Re: allergies to red wine
January 01, 2005 11:32AM
If I drink a couple of glasses of cheap red I get a thumping headache very soon afterwards, and various people have told me it's probably the histamines in it. Good quality red, white wine, spirits don't bother me. Since I haven't won Lotto yet I just don't buy red any more.

Connoisseurs should stop reading now:
I was also told that decanting and nuking red wine for about 4 minutes will get rid of the histamines, but I've never been that desperate to test it out. I figure the time it would take to nuke it and wait for it to cool down is better spent opening a bottle of white or pouring a gin instead.

Re: allergies to red wine
January 03, 2005 02:17PM
Re: allergies to red wine
January 03, 2005 11:30PM
Many years ago I thought I was a hay fever sufferer until I made the connection between the daily glass of red wine and the allergic reaction. Stopped the wine and the allergic reaction stopped.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.