Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Copper bottom saucepans

Posted by Josie 
Copper bottom saucepans
November 22, 2004 12:12AM
Hi, has anyone got a "tried and true" receipe for cleaning them??
Thanks,
Josie
Jennifer
Re: Copper bottom saucepans
November 22, 2004 12:32AM
To be honest, I just don't bother (I've got three). Life's too short and mine don't hang from the ceiling for all to see. Having said that, I do tend to be a tidy cook, so they never seem to get very dirty - nothing a "Goldilocks" scrub won't fix. Every now and again I've been surprised by how all the black stuff falls off when you've accidentally overheated the pot on the element (boiled dry, etc) - this method possibly does unrealised damage to the pot but certainly gets them clean!smiling smiley
November 22, 2004 12:38AM
I'm sure my mum used to use salt & vinegar?? like a paste? rub on then clean off
November 22, 2004 02:10AM
I thought it was a paste of baking soda and vinegar.
November 22, 2004 02:17AM
maybe baking soda & vinegar with salt to give it some body - i.e. so you've got something that will stick to the base for 5 mins.

or maybe it was the hot chips and salt & vinegar....
November 22, 2004 05:03AM
grinning smiley
Lemon juice and salt. Rub, Rub, Shiny Shiny.
Cheers
November 22, 2004 07:38AM
I've got a round brass kitchen sink. I planned on changing it when I bought my house, but never quite got there. Its a bit of a curse sometimes with a large roasting pan - the square peg into a round hole idea!.
Brasso cleans it really well, as it would copper bottomed pots. I have copper bottomed pots but like Jennifer, I long ago gave up trying to keep them shiny.
On the sink I usually use salt and vinegar - doesnt clean quite as well as Brasso, but a heck of a lot cheaper.

Paula
November 22, 2004 09:15AM
Thanks for all your help, although my pots don't hang up I still like to have them clean even tho they are stored in a cupboard! Not a problem!
Josie
November 22, 2004 09:34AM
I.ve had my copper bottom saucepans for 30 years. Every so often I sprinkle them with salt and rub with a cut lemon, squeezing out the juice. They come up like new every time.
Raewyn G
November 22, 2004 11:06AM
My dear old Mum had the cleanest copper bottom saucepans you ever did see. She always had a small container of homemade cleaner in the cupboard and she cleaned them after every use. They were shinier than the stainless steel.

Equal quantities of flour and salt. Mixed with enough vinegar (She used malt) to make a paste. She would rub it on with a cloth, and then wash off and rinse in very hot water.

If you try to mix baking soda and vinegar together it will bubble up. It is great for cleaning sluggish plug holes and waste pipes. Do mine every couple of months. Put a good tablespoon of B.Soda down the plug hole and then pour some vinegar down. When it has finished bubbling and fizzing, pour some freshly boiled water down behind it. Clean, Clean, Clean!!!!!!!

Hope this is helpful
Raewyn
November 23, 2004 01:32AM
You're quite right Raewyn - of course baking soda and vinegar will fizzle. Sorry about that!:/
November 23, 2004 05:37AM
I always used a commonly named soap pad starting with "S"!!! Worked like a dream, and they used to glisten!
Raewyn G
November 23, 2004 07:23AM
I should have said too that the salt needs to be plain salt not iodised. Don't ask me why, just what Mum used to do.winking smiley
November 24, 2004 03:00AM
I use iodised salt. That's what is in my salt pig on the bench. Still cleans the copper.:-o:-o:-o
November 24, 2004 03:45AM
Ours are all copper, not just the bottoms, and they hang up, so they get cleaned with Polaris cleaner, every time they're washed. They are a joy to behold! The cleaner is available in all supermarkets, Mitre Ten and so on. It lasts for ages. It's the only thing that takes the 'blueing' (like petrol on a wet road) off the gas hobs in the commercial kitchen where we make our mustard.
Stephanie
November 24, 2004 10:04AM
In reply to Raewyn G - I totally endorse the baking soda and vinegar for sluggish plug holes. I regularly treat my shower to this, and have tonight (after cleaning blasted said brass sink) done the same with baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water. Its now flowing freely again.

Cheers
Paula
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.