Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Free standing towel racks

Posted by Linda 
Free standing towel racks
November 24, 2004 01:38AM
Does anybody use those wooden free standing towel racks to dry towels? Do the towels dry OK?

In our upstairs bathroom we have a heated towel rail, which only hold two towels, which our two kids use. Shortly we will be getting two homestays who will also we using this bathroom - boy I love having an ensuite in this house.
So I'm looking at a few possibilities to accomodate getting the extra towels dry.

Thanks.

Linda.
CR
Re: Free standing towel racks
November 24, 2004 04:57AM
I have two free-standing heated towel rails and wouldn't be without them.
November 24, 2004 06:08AM
I wouldn't be without my free standing towel rail, it is a spare, which I keep in the spare bedroom, works great in airing clothes after I have ironed them, or before. Great for airing bedding, before being put away.
November 24, 2004 06:16AM
I've got two - a wooden one in the ensuite - the rods on this are thickish, which keeps the towels separate, and they dry well. Occasionally I pick the whole thing up and put it out on the deck, so that's an advantage.
The other is a white enamel one, which has a wrack thingy on the bottom. It sits over the central heating vent in the kids bathroom, so they always have warm dry towels, and the kids tend to put their clothes on it too, so after their showers, they have warm clothes. Janet
Raewyn G
November 24, 2004 07:14AM
I have a clean towel every time I shower = sometimes twice daily. I've got a thing about using a towel twice. Maybe I'm mad but that's me!:-o
November 24, 2004 08:19AM
Me too - I don't like using a towel twice if I can avoid it!! Hehehehe - it's great having house staff to do all the washing also!

I'm the same with sheets. I did try having clean sheets every night but it was costing me an arm and two legs in laundry detergent so we're down to clean sheets on Monday and Friday nights only!!!:/
Jennifer
November 24, 2004 10:04AM
Yep, I'm the same as Raewyn. I change the handtowel and teatowel in the kitchen every day too - must admit it makes me go "urk" inside when I see them in other people's homes, looking like the same one's been hanging there all week...
Raewyn G
November 24, 2004 10:25AM
I'm with Jennifer re the handtowel and teatowel in the kitchen. Even though we have a dishwasher they still go out at least once a day and the dishcloths are constantly on the move to the laundry.
I'm very much like my mother when it comes to washing.
When Les and I began to live together over 10 years ago, I would get up on a Saturday morning and rip into the washing. Les would arise in his own time and ask for a pair of shorts or trackpants that he had worn the day before......claiming they weren't dirty. I had to admit, "Oh sorry they're washed and on the line" His reply "Lucky I got out of them then!!!"
My late Mother used to rewash everything in the linen cupboard when she was bored or it was a nice windy day. Then there was the HUGE pile of ironing!!!! URHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess who's job that was? No wonder I hate ironing today, but do it begrudgingly.

Lucky you Lynette, having staff at home! I have one too but he goes on strike with monotonous regularity!!!!!! Should sack him, but he lives here too!!!!:}
November 24, 2004 10:24PM
I have now bought a chrome one. We've had homestays before where English wasn't too good. It was only for 2wks, but these girls (Korean) put the towels between the mattress and base to dry. ?:-( Not sure if its a Korean thing, or just a thing these girls did. But I didn't like the idea of damp mattress and base. Only discovered it when I went to change their sheets. Tried to explain to them, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) understand.
This next lot are Korean so I want to be more prepared.

Thanks everybody for your imput. We don't do clean towels every day, but I do with the tea-towels. Bath towels are about every 3 days in this house, thats if our 7yr old son doesn't dirty them before then. I'm sure his defination of washing his hands is to rub all the dirt off onto a towel.

Linda.
November 25, 2004 07:22AM
I consider, that when I shower and dry myself, I am clean. I have no trouble using a towell twice. And that's how I've brought my girls up. We have had 2 full time students since 1990.....not the same ones, naturally, but they automatically hang their towells on the line after their morning shower and use them twice. Nothing wrong with that, I figure.

I feel drying towells or anything else in the sunshine is so much more hygenic. Nature reigns !
Cheers
November 25, 2004 08:34AM
I too don't have a problem with using a towel twice but my hubbys side don't and Donalds mum (who is honestly a real saint) does all our washing so at this point in time it doesn't bother me. in the future i dare say it will.
Kind regards
lisa
Marion 2
November 27, 2004 10:10PM
Hi This reminds me of my Children when they were teenagers or + . I was working full-time(Still am ) and they all arrive home for Christmas . Delighted to see them etc!! .However after 24 hours one --Female - stated -Mum there are no towels in this house !!.I went to the bedrooms and there were 2 towels for morning --Shower and Hair -2 for Afternoon ditto -and 2 for evening -I flipped 6 towels per person per day !! Recycle !!. I proceeded to reshow them the Washing machine etc etc . Families and how to survive them !!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.