Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How to clean a bath

Posted by jenny 
How to clean a bath
December 05, 2004 05:10AM
Have just bought a 1945 vintage house with a very dirty bath.
The enamel surface is well worn and the bath is very grimey.
Has anyone got a good method of cleaning it without tackling it with loads of vim and elbow grease, which would probably remove more of the enamel surface.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jenny.
Nellie
Re: How to clean a bath
December 05, 2004 05:39AM
If it is very yuk, try oven cleaner!!!! Tried this once on shower walls of a flat my son shifted into. Leave it on for no more than ten minutes tho.
Hope this helps.
Nellie
December 05, 2004 05:46AM
Lemon juice, or vinegar with baking soda mixed to a thick paste and left on for an hour or so is great. Used this on a 1920's claw foot "white" bath and it came up a treat.
Sue
December 05, 2004 10:26AM
I woulnt try the oven cleaner I think it would pit the enamel. Make a paste of Baking soda and paroxide. spread on the bath and leave to dry then wash off. I have used this on a bath that had iron water stains and it worked great.
December 05, 2004 10:40AM
Maybe.............try some dishwasher granules or you may just have to have the bath resurfaced !!
December 06, 2004 01:59AM
I read the other day to use "steradent" or any other denture cleaner in the toilet (for stubborn stains below the surface!) - just dissolve & leave overnight - it could work on a bath if you used enough....
December 07, 2004 01:15AM
Using steradent myself, for the intended purpose, it would be hugely expensive !
December 07, 2004 07:42AM
Thank you for all the ideas. Iwill try a few.
Jenny.
December 08, 2004 02:55AM
A cleaner called Shower Power will do the job...just tub it on and let it do its thing.....may need to rub a bit with a non scratcy scourer to get off the yuk bits
Good luck

wendy
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.