Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pet fish

Posted by Linda 
Pet fish
December 06, 2004 07:30PM
Well we've ended up with a fish tank and 6 fish, from school, for the holidays. We've never had fish in the house before, as we always thought it was too risky with two cats. However, we're down to one cat now. sad smiley and the remaining cat is pretty old and we thought wouldn't be interested in them, as he was never a hunter.
But this cat is watching the fish with great interest. Hasn't put his paw in YET, but hey the school hasn't even broken up yet.

Anybody got any tips for looking after fish, with a cat. Also any general fish info would be great. We've got the pump thing, plus the food.

Thanks

Linda.
Jennifer
Re: Pet fish
December 06, 2004 08:16PM
Don't overfeed them.

Don't put your hands in the tank, and don't touch the fish.

Put some wire mesh on the top of the tank, to stop the cat, if necessary.

Keep the tank out of direct sunlight.

If the fish spend a lot of time gulping air at the water surface, they need more oxygen.

If your house is on town water supply, with chlorine in it, never replace more than a third of the tank water at a time (and even then I'd err on the side of caution).
December 06, 2004 08:46PM
Maybe a visit to your local library would be worthwhile Linda??

December 06, 2004 10:15PM
We have a water filter so I filled the tank using filtered water. Teacher gave me some anti chlorine stuff in the water, which I've added. Also, does anybody know do fish sleep? These 6 fish are always swimming around, even when hubby had to get up at 5am this morning.

Linda.
December 07, 2004 12:40AM
If you adhere to Jennifers advice then you can't really go wrong. She has covered everything that I have ever thought of and we have had several lots of goldfish. Our problems were not so much the cats but more little fingers....
Jennifer
December 07, 2004 07:39AM
(Helen, thanks for those affirming remarkssmiling smiley)

Linda, this website answers your question about fish sleeping:
[www.newton.dep.anl.gov]
CR
December 08, 2004 01:26AM
Please be sure to take Jennifer's advice about not touching the fish and not putting your hands in the water. Disease lurks therein, and can enter the bloodstream through a tiny cut or even a ragnail.
Jennifer
December 08, 2004 09:58AM
(Although my advice was meant for the benefit of the fish, not the human.)
CR
December 08, 2004 11:32AM
Whatever, keep those hands out of that water!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.