Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Help Please....Penny !

Posted by Lynne 
Help Please....Penny !
December 08, 2004 05:51AM
We are having some landscaping done in our 100 yr old back yard and the "Man" has unearthed an old penny. We are having a water feature incorporated and would love to have said Penny imbedded somewhere as it is an old family home. Question is, does anyone know how to shine up an old Penny ? Have only tried soaking it in vinigar, to date.
Thanx
Re: Help Please....Penny !
December 08, 2004 05:54AM
What about something like brasso or silver polish.
Or maybe a jewellery cleaner, such as Avon used to sell???
Hope you find somethinf that works
Kaye
December 08, 2004 06:12AM
doesn't soaking in coca cola remove tarnish from old coins (& the whole coin if left too long! - so be careful!)
December 08, 2004 09:37AM
Yeah,
Heard the Coca Cola one, but will probably give that a miss ! Disolving nails and all that. Think I'll try the Brasso and see what happens.
Thanx as always for anyone's input.
Cheers
December 08, 2004 09:37AM
Yeah,
Heard the Coca Cola one, but will probably give that a miss ! Disolving nails and all that. Think I'll try the Brasso and see what happens.
Thanx as always for anyone's input.
Cheers
December 08, 2004 09:39AM
OOPPS. Don't know what happened there !
CR
December 08, 2004 11:35AM
We used to shine our pennies with lemon juice and salt...in the 'olden days'.
December 08, 2004 11:36AM
Lynne I can only think of the Coka Cola, it's also good for cleaning toilets I believe, great drink too. Merry Christmas.
Kay
December 09, 2004 07:06AM
Jenny, please ring a coin dealer and find out what they do, be careful what you use as you can damaged it.
What year is the penny?

Kay
December 10, 2004 12:43AM
It's a 1915 ! So far, everything above hasn't cleaned it up. Haven't been brave enough to try the coke, tho'.
Kay
December 12, 2004 12:32AM
Hi Lynne,
Was talking with my husband and he seemed to recollect that we used the stricker part of a match box by burning it on the penny and then wiping it off while still warm. He thinks this is right but see if you can find something on the 'net'
Kay
Lyn ( P. Nth)
December 12, 2004 04:21AM
lol....the match comment above reminds me of another ' olden day' thing.
Stricking a match in a loo for swift odor removal!! :}
Never tried it but just think what we could all save on spray??!:/
hehehehe

Lyn ( P. Nth)

December 12, 2004 08:37AM
don't laugh - I actually do this!! it's burns the ethanol (or is it methanol)...and voila....ixnay on the ellsmay....
December 12, 2004 09:28AM
Reminds me of a notice in a DOC composting toilet about the dangers of not relaxing on the toilet, with a cigarette...... be a bit careful with those matches!!!winking smiley
Kaye.
Raewyn G
December 12, 2004 11:39AM
Kaye, I too would be weary about the matches. I wouldn't my little room to be blown to smithereens!:-o :}

December 12, 2004 10:34PM
Try Repco, there is a German brand of metal polish in paste form, comes in a toothpaste type tube. Used for polishing all metal surfaces, if used hard enough will take brushed stainless steel to mirror finish. The name aludes me at this point, but give Repco a try.

Regards

Stephen
Lynette - PNG
December 13, 2004 02:13AM
I'm with you Lynley - we do this as well! Far more environmentally friendly than a can of air freshener and very effective too.

As the saying goes... if you think you might offend, light a match and that's the end!:}:}:}
December 13, 2004 08:07PM
Thank you Lyn, for reminding me about the 'olden day thing'. On my two trips to Fiji and Tonga aboard a catamaran, there was a box of matches in the head for just that reason. Am I right in thinking that the working end of matches are made of sulphur? Perhaps one bad smell kills another!!

:/

Lorna
CR
December 15, 2004 08:13AM
Always have matches in the loo, and on my person if out. Never fails to extinguish any unpleasant odour. My Mum always said that the flame burnt the gas which creates the smell. Is that the case?
December 15, 2004 08:41AM
I read somewhere that for a coin to be "valuable" they have to be in mint condition.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.