Jennifer
Smelly chestnut tree
December 08, 2004 10:36AM
We've inherited a chestnut tree which I thought was the Spanish chestnut. However, when it's flower catkins arrive, the tree starts smelling like rank swamp water, and I'm beginning to think it may be the Chinese chestnut. Before I search my botanical books etc, I thought there might be someone out there who can tell me in an instant whether I have the Spanish one or the Chinese one. - i.e., does the Spanish one smell at all?
Raewyn G
Re: Smelly chestnut tree
December 08, 2004 07:17PM
Spanish or Chinese.......whatever breed........sounds like you need to bury it!!!!!!!:}

December 09, 2004 03:26AM
theres a few more of these trees than first thought,

[www.treehelp.com]

this link talks about the flowers giving off an odour, but have not been able to find out which one you have yet.

if i get time ill do some more digging of info for you.

beetle
Jennifer
December 09, 2004 05:09AM
Since my posting, I've discovered a reference in one of my books wherein it says the Spanish one has a malodorous smell as well, so my tree could still be either one. Ah well, as Raewyn says, either way it smells! It'll be staying though, as in all other respects it's a lovely tree.
Raewyn G
December 09, 2004 06:57AM
Oh Blow, what a shame Jennifer. I was hoping as was everyone else on the forum, to be invited to the 'Bury the Tree" afternoon, BYO of course.
Could do with a stress release right now..............sad smiley
hehehehe:}
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.