Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Who's tired of this weather!!

Posted by Bev 
Bev
Who's tired of this weather!!
December 16, 2004 02:35AM
I don't know what its like where you live but here in Christchurch the weather has been lowsy over the last few weeks. It seems like summer has deserted us!! Everyday seems to be grey, windy or wet!!!
Where for out thou summer!!!!!!sad smileysad smiley

Re: Who's tired of this weather!!
December 16, 2004 02:51AM
Bev, it's not much better up here in Hamilton. I don't feel we have had a start to spring, let alone summer!!!! It's 'warmed' up a tad, but still grey, breezy and wet. I am looking outside right now and looks like there will be more rain this afternoon - yet the sun was out when I was at lunch.
I had built this year a lovely deck and bought cape cod style chairs for it last weekend - I don't think I will ever get to sit in them to enjoy the sunshine. Very depressing - I haven't heard any weather forecasts for next week yet, I wonder what Xmas Day will be like - rugged up in woollies, eating inside with heaters going ?:-(
karen
December 16, 2004 03:05AM
It`s not much better up here in Auckland, thunder storms last night, hail the week-end before, at this rate we might end up with a white christmas, even if it is only hailstones on the ground.
You are about right Irene, I heard a long range forecast yesterday and its for cold southerlies, and rain for xmas day so no doubt fires will be going the further south you go!!!!
Like you all I wonder where spring is and if summer is ever going to come. Its raining now in central Hamilton, so you are right Irene and it looks by the sky that its here for the afternoon, yet again.

Helen CB
Bev
December 16, 2004 03:16AM
It is still raining here today with no sign of it stopping. On the 2pm news they said it was only 12c here. I have just lit our logburner, I can't believe it, here we are Dec 16 and the fire is on!!!! Mind you, with all my Christmas shopping etc done I can curl up in front of the fire with a magazine and not feel guiltygrinning smiley
Michelle
December 16, 2004 03:50AM
Oh great sad smiley I hope the weather clears up by the time I get over there next weekend. I'll bring along some of weather from here.....its been 34degrees most days this week with me smiling smiley
December 16, 2004 04:24AM
All sounds like a re-run of last Xmas, if my memory serves me correctly

Stephen?:-(
December 16, 2004 04:30AM
Last christmas it was 38 degrees for two weeks running here. Where are you Stephen?
December 16, 2004 04:35AM
I should have taken up Lynette's offer and headed back to PNG for Xmas when I remember how beautiful the weather was, and swimming in the pool etc. I shall definitely remember back to last year when I am sitting here shivering here this year then sad smiley mmmm just had a late thought... will have to imbibe lots of bubbly to warm me up and not notice the weather winking smiley
December 16, 2004 05:45AM
I don't think the weather was ANYTHING like this last Christmas (Waiheke Island) unless my memory is playing tricks on me. I am sure it was fine, maybe overcast, but certainly not wet and windy. We did have rain around the end of January last year but that was about it.
Only two of my about 20 seed varieties matured because of lack of sun and the temperature. I think this is the ABSOLUTE WORST Spring / Summer we have had for many a year. It is TERRIBLE.
I just hope Christmas day isn't the same and also hope the weather improves as Waiheke as a whole is dependent on tourists and tourists only come in numbers if the weather is fine. Us locals hibernate as we go from a permanent population of around 7500 to between 20,000 and 30,000.
I wonder what Winter will be like ?:-(?:-( Ha ha ha
Bev
December 16, 2004 05:56AM
I don't mind winter in winter but I HATE it when we get winter in summer!!!!! I cannot remember a December like this before, not so many cold days continuously. We are BBQ'ing on Christmas Day so fingers crossed it will be dry, at least there are only 6 of us this year so if we need to do the cooking inside it will not be a problem.
December 16, 2004 05:58AM
We are coming to Waiheke for Christmas Day this year Mnemosyne to spend it with our daughter and partner!! Can't say I'm looking forward to the ferry trip loaded with food and pressies and complete with our waterproofs and gumboots!!!

- It's ghastly in Titirangi too - and wet as only Titirangi can be when the trees are dripping!!

Jennifer
December 16, 2004 06:12AM
I'm sorry, it was me. We have acres of new lawn and I wished for rain so I wouldn't have to water it. That was four weeks ago...
December 16, 2004 06:49AM
Isn't it just like it. When we milked the cows in the 60sand 70s we had droughts. Every christmas came and the cows were looking for grass. The paddocks were like billard tables. Now with all this wet weather the lawns don't stop growing. I managed to get the lawns done today. Then it rained. I was going to clean my car, but what's the use, it will only rain again.:/:/:}:}
At 9 months pregnant this humidity is just awful and although I try to be kind to nature the tui that "sings" outside my window relentlessly - even when I am trying to get comfortable at 4am is due for an aim with a slug gun (joking of course but that is how I feel!).
Raewyn G
December 16, 2004 07:38AM
Sorry to be a "me too" but I'm sick of this weather. I hope it's not too bad on Xmas day, as that's how we got to host the family affair in the first place, as it was raining and they all relocated it to our place. We have a huge garage, and we barbequed under cover. Room for everyone, moved the outdoor tables and chairs inside etc. I spent most of the day, in between showers ferrying food from the house to the garage, and did any one help.................? Then the clean up.....did any one help?
This year it is NOT here, whether the sky's open or not! I've done my bit!
My windows need washing before next weekend, but dare I put the hose on.........perhaps not!!!!!
On a happier note, I did see a Pohutukawa in flower here in Palmerston North last week. That is supposed to be a sign of a long hot, dry summer! Only trouble is I couldn't read when it was due to start!!!!:}
Just think of the big potatoes that will be in our garden with all the moisture we have had today!!!!! Have a few little ones in the pot tonight!!!
December 16, 2004 10:43AM
One consultation those of us on tank water dont have to conserve water yet!!! But here in the Manawatu it has just continued on since the floods in February. I was envious of my friend who has just been to Melbourne and complained of the heat.
December 16, 2004 07:25PM
And Whitianga's weather report is similar to everyone elses. Wet and oh! The wind!! We've had some beautiful sunny days, but that wind seems to be relentless, even on the hottest days. Actually, that's when it's at its worst: a hot wind is enough to drive one insane. Help, hope we don't have a hot wind and a full moon at the same time, imagine the consequences.

Right now I'm looking out over the township and it's really quite beautiful. The sun's trying to shine and there are rain clouds coming in from the distant hills, suffusing the whole bay and valleys beyond with a soft light. The huge pine tree in the paddock in front of me is lit up all down the sunny side while the other side is so black it looks as if it's been burnt.

Lorna
Ang
December 16, 2004 08:05PM
It's the wind that has got me. I haven't had hayfever this bad since I was working at WTC 3 - 4 years ago - where naturally I was amongst the pollen. It seems that the pollen is thick in the air at the moment, blown in from all directions smiling smiley

Hi Ma,

I remember those drier than dry summers, good for haymaking but that was about it. The rain would be falling in the Hunua Ranges and in the Maramarua Forest - I think we were geographically challenged being in the middle of the basin. Still we survived. Can't kill weeds smiling smiley
December 16, 2004 10:30PM
I havn't got the "Christmas Spirit" yet this year and I'm sure its because of the weather apparently its going to be wet here in ChCh until at least Monday sad smiley
Sandra.

Nellie
December 17, 2004 07:14AM
We have just had a hail storm here and yes, this weather is so depressing.
It plays up merry hell with my arthritis and I have just had some bad news from my older brother and I have been asked not to tell my siblings. How can I hold on to this? If only the sun would shine I'm sure my spirits would lift just a bit. I suppose its like looking for a light at the end of the tunnel !!!! At this point in time there isn't one. Oh dear, I'm as depressing as the weather. sorry.
Nellie
jen
December 17, 2004 09:20AM
At least the cooler weather is keeping the flies at bay, that's gotta be a bonus! And no sign of Huhu bugs yet... I'm happy!
December 17, 2004 11:12AM
Jen, we must be getting your share of the those darn flies... Along with the heavy rain, gusty winds and falling temperatures.
We have just had our heating system taken out, as a new system will be going in January. Thought we had planned it well, with the summer months of Dec and Jan, hah hah. I hate being cold!!!!!!!
Nellie, yes the sun does lift your spirits, and I hope it's not to long in coming for you. That's a terrible burden for you to bear. Take care
regards
Lyn
December 17, 2004 09:17PM
I've had enough of it had my windows cleaned on Tuesday, I wonder why as they are almost as bad as they were grrr....
Bev
December 17, 2004 09:22PM
We have yet again woken to rain here in ChCh with a high forecast of only 12c today!!!!! Who would have thought we would be having temps as low as this so many days in a row in Dec....grrrrrr
You have probably guessed I am a summer person not a winter person. ?:-(
Raewyn G
December 17, 2004 09:45PM
Nellie, dear,
I hope the sunshine smiles on you very soon.
I also hope that you can talk to your brother about the enormous pressure, keeping his secret from your family, is placing on you. And of course the repocussions of "Why didn't you tell us, we have a right to know, he's our brother too", sort of thing. Ask him to please reconsider his decision.......I think it is a little too selfish of him to place that burden on you.
Try to keep smiling. If its any help.......we too here in Palmerston North are SICK of this weather. And man alive.......my left thumb aches with the cold and damp. Nothing to what you are suffering I imagine!
Happy Christmas Nellie!!!!
Kind Regards,
Raewyn Gsmiling smiley
jen
December 18, 2004 02:12AM
The weather can only get better! And with all the rain and cold weather so far, perhaps "the" day will turn out nice after all? If we all pull together with positive thoughts guys, we can do anything!!!! If we all huff'n'puff at the same time all together...

Hopefully, we all have provisions for Christmas, a nice tipple, friends and family, so things are looking good, aren't they? Maybe there's a bright side to Murky Dismal??? Snow on the Desert Road this morning, hey, white Christmas???
jen
December 18, 2004 05:24AM
The weather is foul here today..............

Handing out heaps of umbrellas today for the people staying here for an outdoors wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh the poor people.

sad smileysad smileysad smiley

but it is cold and almost continous rain and a very brisk breeze to.

not nice so we tucked up inside, and the kids in their sleeping bags watching telly!!! LOL

and me here. may need some socks soon though.

but the seasons just get later...soon we'll be having winter at xmas time and summer in winter.... it is all up the wop.

probably good to be a hybernator(sp?) about now???

beetle
December 18, 2004 08:53AM
Absoulte lousy weather here too, so only thing to do was to meet a friend for lunch with a wine or two of course. Very enjoyable. Only thing was didnt want much tea but other people did. Wow I only have four days work left this year then 2 weeks holiday - not going anywhere though saving up for an OE midyear.
Lyn
December 18, 2004 10:28AM
Can you believe it on the north shore, Auckland it hailed quite heavily late this afternoon the grandchildren loved it gathering it up as it was quite thick, quite a bit of excitement for us all. It surely can only improve, our son conducted a wedding today about the same time as the hailstorm. I'm sure th bride & groom were not feeling it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.