Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

lavender ironing water

Posted by Lorraine Horn 
lavender ironing water
December 18, 2004 05:53AM
Does anyone know how to make lavender ironing water - it is so expensive to buy - well the imported French one is.
Lorraine
Re: lavender ironing water
December 18, 2004 09:01PM
Lorraine

I'm not surprised the French stuff is so expensive if it contains the ingredients in the recipe below, taken from Sir Hugh Platts "Delights for Ladies" (1594). Please note the spellings are his:

To make a special sweet water to perfume clothes in the folding being washed. Take a quart of Damaske-Rose-Water and put it into a glasse, put unto it a handful of Lavender Flowers, two ounces of Orris, a dram of Muske, the weight of four pence of Amber-greece, as much Civet, foure drops of Oyle of Clove, stop this close, and set it in the Sunne a fortnight: put one spoonfull of this Water into a bason of common water and put it into a glasse and so sprinkle your clothes therewith in your folding: the dregs, left in the bottome (when the water is spent) will make as much more, if you keepe them, and put fresh Rose water to it.

A simpler solution is to come to Whitianga and visit the local Lavender Farm where Judy makes a wide number of lavender products. It's in Mill Creek Road and Judy often has a stall at our local Saturday morning market.

Lorna
December 19, 2004 02:29AM
I sometimes add a drop or two of essential oil (what every "flavour" I fancy at the time) to the water I put in the iron. I have also added a few drops of perfume, but that is (depending on the fragrance) a more expensive option. I used to have a business which, among other things, produced essential oil blends so by all means use lavender, but don't limit yourself to it. Shop around and find other options you enjoy. With a bit of research you can chose an oil for a purpose, ie stress relief. A eucalyptus based one is good when coughs and colds abound, etc, etc. A small bottle of oil lasts a long time, and is very affordable for a little touch of luxury. Janet
Lyn ( P. Nth)
December 19, 2004 02:31AM
Try a few drops of an essential oil on the filter pad of your vacuum cleaner too. Leaves the house smelling great.smiling smiley

Lyn (P.Nth)
December 20, 2004 01:42AM
I've just found the advertisement for Mill Creek Lavender here in Whitianga. They have: Lavender Gardens, River Walk, Wide Range of Lavender Products, Teas, Espressos. Open Daily 10.30 - 5.00. 445 Mill Creek Road, between Whitianga & Coroglen. Ph. 07-866-0088.

Myself, I would be hesitant to use any sort of oil to sprinkle on clothes before ironing. Lavender water would seem to me to more suitable.

Lorna
Lyn ( P. Nth)
December 20, 2004 02:14AM
The oil ( a couple of drops) isadded to the water that goes into the iron Lorna. You are right, sprinkling oil on clothes would not be a good idea at all!!grinning smiley

Lyn ( P. Nth)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.