Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Slow loading

Posted by Lynne 
Slow loading
December 19, 2004 10:01PM
I wonder if it's my computer, but I notice this F L site is very slow in loading in the last week or so ????? No other sites are affected.
Re: Slow loading
December 19, 2004 10:03PM
fine here Lynne - although we do use jetstream here at work, and I haven't had time to look from home.
December 19, 2004 10:18PM
I agree Lynne - and we have jetstream - at home.

I put it down to christmas computer overload - too many letters to Santa!
Raewyn G
December 19, 2004 11:16PM
It's been a pain alright!!!!! When ya wanna fix of FL, I want it NOW!!!!! or Sooner!!!!!!!:-o
December 20, 2004 12:16AM
Thank goodness, I thought it was my computer.
The darn thing seize completely while I was scrollling down this thread.
Probably trying to tell me, get back into that kitchen!!!!!
I DON'T THINK SO!*!#
December 20, 2004 12:34AM
I'm on dial up and it's fine. Have you got ad-aware and spy-bot programmes? If not, that could be your problems. Little things getting into your machine and slowing it down. These programmes are free to download. Find them through Google. Good luck. :-o
Raewyn G
December 20, 2004 02:09AM
I've got ad-aware and have been running it and ridding the computer of the s...t. Thought that would cure the prob.......but no. Sometimes of the day are better than others. Seems the evening is the worst for me. I usually end up giving up.sad smiley
December 20, 2004 03:05AM
I have Norton's AntiVirus,It seems to scan everything in sight. Very slow. I thought it was just my computer. I don't get any more pop up's or spam, so I shouldn't complain.
December 20, 2004 10:16AM
Regular Defrags of the computer (system maintenance) is often good to for a slow down of the computer. found in start> programs>Acessories> sysem tools > disk defragmentor.

run it and it will help.

but also check your anti virus updates and spybot, adaware, this is good computer maintenance as well.

beetle
December 20, 2004 01:26PM
I'm on dial up also.
Some days like you say are worse than others.
A few days this week it was bad.
And peak times of usage slows things down to a crawl.
I keep my temp flles and cookies cleaned out regularly, that helps too.
Raewyn G
December 20, 2004 10:37PM
Hi Beetle,
I have defragged my computer this morning, apon your suggestion.
Just one question, how often would you recommend I do this?
Would appreciate your opinion
Thanks,
Raewyn G?:-(
December 20, 2004 10:47PM
Raewyn, will stick my nose in here - I always try and do it weekly. I find the more often you do it, the quicker it is.
Raewyn G
December 21, 2004 02:55AM
Irene, your nose is very welcome.........thank you. I certainly need to do it more often than I have. You're an angel (Oh and b.....well organised! huh!)
Cheers,
Raewyn G
smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

December 21, 2004 10:38AM
Just about gave up on getting through tonight talk about slow. Merry Xmas everyone
December 21, 2004 10:39AM
LOL yeah weekly, forthnightly or monthly, depending on how much time and work you do on your comp....

if you spend heaps of time on it yes weekly is better.

but keeping all Windows updates - updated if you use microsoft, - windows,
I dont use IE anymore, or microsoft programs where possible not to use them, very suseptable to greeblies in the system.
and make sure your firewall is running at all times, especially while on the net.

and all virus definitions updated, and all spyware catcher programs updated as well,
will help keep you safe in the long run.

beetle
December 22, 2004 01:27AM
:}
Today, Wed, all is fine again. Wonder what it was..........
Cheers
December 22, 2004 02:46AM
It has been fine at my end.
If you do have any queries in future with this then do let me know as we may be able to look into it and clarify what is happening.
Lyn
December 22, 2004 09:51AM
It certainly isn't fine on mine Lynne. It has been mostly painfully slow for a couple of weeks now and I often get a time out error. I have wondered if it is getting "overloaded" (for the want of a better word) with the thousands of messages we have posted. I also find Delia's site very slow, again I wonder if it is the sheer volume of content on the site.
?:-( Lyn.

December 22, 2004 10:32AM
beetle mentions to keep windows up to date. I find it impossible. I have tried and tried to do the essential upgrades. It loads to about 76% and there it stays and won't move. I just don't bother any more. I run a fire wall and symantec, spy bot and adware and hope for the best. If I do my online banking I use mozilla firefox instead of IE. Would anyone know the reason why windows won't let me do the upgrades? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
December 22, 2004 08:59PM
Chris

You've maybe got a few too many 'protections' and they are preventing MS downloads, or maybe they are incompatible with each other. I have Norton Internet Security which incorporates a firewall, intrusion detection, and anti-virus protection, all updated automatically every week, and whenever else necessary. My microsoft windows also downloads updates weekly, on a schedule I have set to suit myself.

Lorna
Lyn
December 22, 2004 09:21PM
I have a firewall, run ad-aware and spybot, and have AVG virus protection. Have never had a problem until this week when my computer for some reason cannot download the quite big AVG update. It begins to do it then for some reason throws in the towel so to speak.
A dialogue box tells me there is a priority update, my emails tell me my virus definition is out of date , yet when I try to manually update I am told there are none available!
I defragged, and cleared out cookies, temp internet, and history files yesterday and it still won't do it.
Any ideas anyone? ?:-( Lyn.

December 22, 2004 10:03PM
Hi Lyn

I also have AVG and was getting the same priority update message in the dialogue box for a day or so. I couldn''t manage to do anything with it either. However, when I used the computer at a later time, when it didn't seem so busy and downloading wasn't as slow as it has been lately, it seemed to do it then. I have just checked now, and everything is up to date.
Hope it comes right for you too.
Heather

Lyn
December 23, 2004 04:50AM
Heather, thankyou so much for that. I changed the time for my update and it has just successfully done it. Now I can relax knowing my computer is protected.
Also for the first time in nearly two weeks Foodlovers is loading a bit faster.
Lyn.

December 28, 2004 01:54AM
Hi,

I've pasted below an email that I've sent to Renee, as some of you others may wish to contact your ISP's helpdesk. The cullprit is likely to be a major server somewhere between your ISP and the Foodlovers host, however, your ISP might be able to route around the problem:

--
Hi Renee,

The site is working at normal speed for me. The site is hosted in the US, and what is probably happening is that there is a server somewhere between the foodlovers host and your own ISP that is having problems (such is the way of the internet, neither foodlovers, nor your ISP is the problem, but someone who provides part of the 'path' inbetween).

If this has been happening for a few days, I would suggest contacting your ISP with the results of a "tracert" (explained below), and tell them that some users in NZ are experiencing problems and not others, an you suspect a server somewhere between the ISP and the US is havng a problem. They may be able to route the traffic around the problem for a few days.

How to do a tracert (in Microsoft Windows):

Click on START
Click on RUN
Type COMMAND and click OK
Type the following without quotation marks:"tracert www.foodlovers.co.nz" and hit ENTER
Click on the tiny icon in the top left corner, which will give you a menu, click on EDIT and MARK
Now highlight the results
Click on the tiny icon in the top left corner, click on EDIT and COPY
Go to a blank email and hit CONTROL-V to paste
Send the email to your ISP's helpdesk with my suggestions above.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Claire
December 28, 2004 02:42AM
Thanks for your trouble Claire
Lynne
Happy New Year
Raewyn G
January 04, 2005 06:03AM
Heavens! just when I thought all was fixed and working, all is on a go slow AGAIN!!!!!!. In fact I cant stand it any more!!!!!!sad smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.