Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Deleting computer files

Posted by CR 
CR
Deleting computer files
December 28, 2004 06:40AM
I want to get rid of my old computer (give it away) but would like to completely delete the file/folder content on it. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there some programme to use?
Cath
Re: Deleting computer files
December 28, 2004 07:37AM
I was having a flick through a computer mag a friend left here the other day and in it was a computer problem forum - press f1 I think it was called. I guess if you put it in google it will come up. Might pay to ask there.

Just a thought smiling smiley
December 28, 2004 11:58AM
LOL I know PF1 well.

[pressf1.pcworld.co.nz]

It is run in conjunction with the PC World computer magazine, its a NZ site so you get people from all over NZ posting, similar to here.

Its a great place to ask any computer related question, and also a chat -non computer related page like here.

beetle
CR
January 01, 2005 12:36PM
Thank you for your suggestions, but isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what to do?
I went to the site suggested and couldn't figure out how to ask a question. I need truly user-friendly sites as I think and learn in a particular way which isn't always catered for. What I want to do is permanently delete the files on my old computer. I don't want to give it to someone and them be able somehow to access deleted files.
I'd really appreciate some help here.smiling smiley
January 01, 2005 08:58PM
I have a Mac and just drag my old files, etc to the Trash then delete them and that's it. Can't you do the same on a PC?
CR
January 02, 2005 12:13PM
Yes I know about deleting to trash, but that doesn't get rid of the files completely. Those in the know can access them. I accidentally deleted an important essay while at Uni ( I was new to computers). I took it to the Uni experts and they found it again. Don't have access to them or I'd be back getting them to permanently remove my files. Maybe I should just take a hammer to the hard drive - it is an old comp after all.:/
January 02, 2005 09:25PM
Reformatting will truly do it, but render the OS non existant. You could also run defrag and ensure it tags and clears all sectors used or not, this will also fully delete any files that are no longer on the File allocation table. Also with regards to the Trash Can, ensure you empty it before running defrag.
January 03, 2005 06:51AM
A Hammer sounds a good option to me!
From an absolute computer wizard at the other end of the scale !
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.