Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pot plant fungi

Posted by Linda 
Pot plant fungi
January 03, 2005 10:22PM
Was just watering an indoor hibiscus that we've had for 3yrs. It needs watering every day, and is in a very sunny spot in the lounge which it just loves.

Anyway, today I noticed that literally overnight, all these fungi, like toadstools have appeared all over the potting mix.

How is the best way to get rid of them? Repot the plant in fresh mix? Or will there still be some spores??

Thanks.

Linda.
Raewyn G
Re: Pot plant fungi
January 03, 2005 11:03PM
I have the same problem with a houseplant that I think is a begonia or some such variety. My sister informed me last week that the potting mix is sour, so time for a repotting session I think. Many of my plants are looking neglected so that a job for this week whilst I'm on leave.

I have a unproven theory about these toadstools too, that they perhaps appear when the humidity is up, and probably because my watering isn't when needed but a soaking when poor plants are desperate!!!!! Plus of course the sour potting mix.

= NEGLET!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't report me to the GREENIES!!!!!!

Regards,
Raewyn G:-o

Re: Pot plant fungi
January 03, 2005 11:36PM
Fungi needs damp and humidity to thrive. So, too wet. I'd repot, baring in mind that once you disturb the fungi the spores fly everywhere, tho unseen. Discard the old soil wrapped up and put in the rubbish bin, never in the compost or elsewhere in the garden. It would be a good idea to put the pot outside and leave quite dry until the fungi die, first.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.