Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What can take the itch out of a bee sting?

Posted by Johanna 
Does anyone know of something that will or might take the itch out of my bee sting? I got stung two days ago on the bottom of my foot and it is now itching and burning like crazy.
Try phenergan,b utt hat might make you drowsy.

Calamine lotion?

White vinegar?

Zeetra
apis mel, which is a homeopathic remedy - available at Down to Earth at Ballance St Village. Otherwise try white vinegar or baking soda. Janet
I just use malt vinegar.
Raewyn G
Re: What can take the itch out of a bee sting?
January 13, 2005 07:42PM
My dear old Mum (now departed) used the old blue bag (used for whitening whites in the old wash-house) on Bee Stings.
Shame these are not available now.

Vinegar was always used on a wash sting.

Thanks for jogging my childhood memories, and I hope you're rid of the itch.

Kind Regards,
Raewyn G
jen
January 14, 2005 12:39AM
This might be a bit late, but I found that very cold water immediately is the best. I found this out when I tried to rescue a bee out of a water bowl that was being used for horses. The ungrateful so'n'so stung me on my finger so I plunged said finger into the water...it was freezing cold but took my mind off the sting and after a couple of minutes didn't feel it. Wasn't itchy either.
jen
The sting has finally settled down - I did put an ice pack on it straight away. That helped the 'sting' go pretty much straight away. However as it was on my foot, whenever I walked on it it would flare up again. I tried vinegar and regular application eventually helped with the itch.
Johanna

I suffer badly when bitten by mosquitos etc, and bees are the worst. I swell up and itch for what seems like weeks afterward. Someone on this forum, can't remember who, but I'm eternally grateful, recommended I try Anthisan. It's absolutely marvelous. Instant stop to the itch and lasts most of the day. Just a smidgen applied as necessary is all that's necessary. I now carry a tube with me, in an old spectacles case so as not to squash it.

Lorna
Elaine E
January 16, 2005 12:59AM
I was always told.....

Bicarb for Bees

Vinegar for Vasps (intentional spelling mistake!)
Isn't it Bicarb for Wasps and Vinegar for Bees ~ maybe not ??? It would help if somebody knew for sure because for anyone with allergies the right antidote makes a BIG difference. I remember when our dog got stung in the mouth the vet said to pour vinegar down his throat but I can't remember what it was that stung. The dog we have now eats bees. She LOVES bees they make her have this terrible throaty cough and she has saliva dripping from her mouth but she keeps going back for more. The Vet said if they were going to affect her more adversely they would have done so already, she's been doing it for the past five years and it makes me wonder if it is the venom that helps her aches and pains. She's only 8 but is a very large Bull Mastiff/Boxer/Ridgeback cross and has been abit stiff for a few years.
Anyway.......... if anyone does REALLY know what is the correct antidote for which insect..... please tell us. Thanks ?:-(?:-(?:-(
Elaine E
January 16, 2005 03:59PM
Hi,
This site gives info on wasp stings:

[vtvt.essortment.com]

and this one on bee stings:

[www.betterbodz.com]

Hope this helps.winking smiley

Too late now for this attack - but next time if you put 1 drop of pure lavender essential oil on the sting immediately your symptomswill be minimalized.

It must be good quality stuff tho - not those imitations that you see where all the oils are the same price. The price should be related to the price of the raw materials used - and how much is needed to make the oil. e.g. you can naturally expect Lavender to be cheaper than Rose.

After the initiial 1 drop make a cold compress with a bowl of iced water and 2 drops of Lavender E.O. . Put a cloth or flannel in it and lay it on the site for up to 20 mins - redoing the flannel to keep cold.

Hope this helps for the next time............

I have done several courses in Aromatherapy and use it in my practise as a Hospice Nurse - but comes in handy for every day life too.

Regards
30 years ago I was stung and a neighbour came rushing with a cut onion, ,which she rubbed on the spot and let the onion juice do its work, which it did - so if all else 'aint about, cut an onion.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.