Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Coal flowers

Posted by Lynne 
Coal flowers
January 17, 2005 10:59PM
Anyone remember growing coal flowers years ago ? I have a hankering to make some again, but where the heck do I get some coal this time of the year? I'm in Auckland and only need a few pieces.
Lynne
Re: Coal flowers
January 18, 2005 01:31AM
Great, I've just found a source for coal, but I have to buy 25kgs......only cheap so dosn't matter, but if anyone else wants some........
January 18, 2005 01:35AM
Hello Lynne

What are coal flowers?:-(

A.
January 18, 2005 01:45AM
Hi Alaine,
Will post the recipe later when I get time..........but basically, it's coal fed with chemicals, harmless stuff like ink and salt and amonia from memory. Grown in a glass bowl......the chemicals combine and grow these beautiful crystals forming "flowers", something akin to cauliflower form. Kids especially love the experiment. Esp big ones like me ! It can be kept going for a long time if fed every 2 days. More later today when I get home and find the recipe.
January 18, 2005 01:48AM
Great thanks Lynne.
Always looking for fun kids stuff for the holidays.
A.
January 18, 2005 03:12AM
That sounds a great idea can't wait for the recipe to be posted, than you.
January 18, 2005 03:42AM
Here'tis....Coal Flowers. My ole Gramma got us kids doing this about 50 odd years ago.

Use a glass bowl approx 20cm and into this put 4 or 5 pieces of washed and dried coal. The shinier the better.
Mix 2 tbsps Common salt, not Iodised, 15grs blue washing powder, or prussian blue, [available from some chemists ] 1x small bottle red ink, 3 tbsp clear household ammonia [as against cloudy, don't sniff!!! ] and 3 tblsp water. Pour this mix over and place in a warm place. For eg, my kitchen bench gets morning sun and it's fine there.Growth should start in about 24hrs. Every second day, after growth begins add 1x tsp salt and 1x tbsp water mixed together.
Very Important:
Pour salt and water mix carefully down the sides of the bowl NOT over the coal, so as not to disturb the coal flowers.
This plant is pink and white but you can use other coloured ink. More ink can also be added to the brine feed if colour starts to fade.
Have fun folks, and would love your feed back further down the line. This is especially nice for kids because the action starts in a day or so and it grows quite quickly.
Any further ? I would be happy to help. Ohhhhhh, Spose I'd better start thinking about the food dept with the family looming.
Cheers
January 18, 2005 04:07AM
That would have to be genuine coal and not the "coke" or so called coal sold in bags in supermarkets I would imagine...... right? They sound fascinating and would love to do some too. We have quite abit of coal found on the beach, is that good.
MUST get the "ingredients when I next shop ~ grand daughter coming over for anniversary weekend which will be a very good experiment to start then.
I can't wait :-)))))))
January 18, 2005 06:19AM
No Idea about "coal found on the Beach" Just real coal.........like from a mine. Defineately not coke !!!
Lyn
January 18, 2005 09:38AM
Lynne, I asked a chemist years ago for some prussian blue for coal flowers and he just about had a blue fit. He told me prussian blue is cyanide!
I can remember my Nana always having a bowl of "flowers". I have never been able to grow them using "blue bags". Doubt if you can still get them.
Lyn.

January 18, 2005 10:31AM
Lyn,
As I stated in the original recipe, blue washing pdr is fine, or leave either out altogether. Still works.
Be adventurous. Add other coloured inks too. Not intending to poison anyone, just suggesting a fun thing to do. !
Cheers
January 18, 2005 10:41AM
Just done an extensive search on Perussian blue........it's all just basically Iron. "Non Toxic" comes up often. Do a Google search, anyone who is nervous. Or for goodness sake just use blue washing pdr.
January 21, 2005 11:16AM
Do you mean any soap powder that is blue, is this right
January 21, 2005 10:57PM
Yes, Surf or suchlike.
Cheers
January 22, 2005 01:19AM
Thanks for that. I too remember them at my Nan's and my memory of them reminds me of fairies down at the bottom of the garden, magical.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.