Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fun for kids.....all sizes !

Posted by Lynne 
Fun for kids.....all sizes !
January 18, 2005 03:19AM
Entertain yourself: Exploding milk.
Take one large dinner plate, or serving plate. Fill with milk. On opposite sides, put a couple of drops of 2 different colours of food colouring. Red and green are impressive but whatever. Then put a drop of a GOOD quality detergent [ the bulk s/market stuff dosn't work] on top of the colours and watch in awe as the colours explode and make amazing patterns. Dosn't last too long......so gather around !
Hint :
If letting your kids do this, use an eye dropper with the food colouring to avoid the mess !
Cheers. Love to hear how you get on.
Re: Fun for kids.....all sizes !
January 18, 2005 06:16AM
OOps. Meant to say low fat milk is no good. At least dark blue top, or add a litle cream if you have it.
Nellie
January 19, 2005 01:23AM
Lynne, I'm curious as to how you discovered this!!!!!!!!! The mind boggles. Will have to get some 'blue top' milk and share your experience with my little grandies.
Cheers
Nellie
January 19, 2005 04:00AM
I am am a lab technician who worked at the UNI for many years and every year we would have a "kids Day" and we had to come up with a day's worth of entertainment to get them interested in the world of science. Much fun...........and I have many more up my sleeve to entertain kids if anyone is interested. Most just using everyday household stuff. Found mostly the big kids were the most attentive ! The exploding milk is all to do with surface tension........but I don't want to get too technical on this site...........just a bit of fun.
Cheers
January 19, 2005 04:31AM
Hi Lynne

Would be interested in your other entertainment in the world of science. Sounds a great way to entertain my grandchildren who are very interested in the world around them. Thanks Marion.
Megan
January 19, 2005 05:03AM
Yes I too would be interested in more. These would be great to share with the kids something to make a note of for the 'What can we do now days'

Thanks
January 19, 2005 05:32AM
Lynne I think we are all interested in more ideas. Perhaps each month you could share another experiment with us all.
Michelle
January 19, 2005 06:00AM
Oh dear this sounds right up my 7 year old daughters alley! She seems to think shes a bit of a mad scientist sometimes and I find her in the kitchen concocting all different experiments made out of things in the pantry. Will definitely have to give this one a go.
Cheers
Kay
January 19, 2005 06:30AM
Lynne,
Please approach your local Kea or Cub leaders and share your ideas.
As a Leader myself I am always looking for good easy science experiments that the children can do. I know that they will welcome you with open arms, i know i would as my childen are now adults and I don't get thedse ideas so often.
If you need a name and number of your nearest group please contact me and I will endeavour to get a contact for you.
Kay
January 19, 2005 06:58AM
POST MORE, POST MORE.

Always looking for ideas to entertain kids!

Excellent thread!

Cheers, Wilm
January 19, 2005 08:35AM
Going away for a few days but I will thru my little book and post soon.

In the mean time, has anyone bothered to try the exploding milk !!!

Anyone who is serious about science things for their kids I would be happy to contribute. I need feed back before I expend a lot of time and energy in posting my ideas.
Cheers
Megan
January 19, 2005 09:04AM
I tried it but I only had raspberry essence, so unsure if I got the same effect. Next time I'm at the supermarket I will be buying food colouring.
January 19, 2005 09:34AM
I can really recommend this experiment. As a primary teacher I have done it many times in the class and the kids just love it. The colours mix together quite quickly so it's best to choose colours that don't end up making 'mud'.
January 19, 2005 10:04AM
Hi Lynne

I tried it with my 7 year old son and 9 year old nephew today. (After my coconut ice and fudge disaster - on the foodlovers forum)! Used red, green and blue in different corners. Although it didn't "explode" as such the colours and patterns were amazing.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards

Jude winking smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.