Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

earthquake preparation

Posted by LynneR 
LynneR
earthquake preparation
January 31, 2005 08:08PM
we just had another earthquake this morning in the lower north island, 5.4sad smiley. i hate them BUT am prepared for the 'big one'. how many others are. i notice that people look really suprised when i say that we have about 15 water filled bottles in the shed!! (for 4 people). it takes such a short time to do, 5 drops of janola per litre. also we have matches etc in the shed area.
i guess it is the usual story, people think it will never happen to them! i would be interested to see what others think. maybe it is a case of thinking i will do that tomorrow and tomorrow never comes!
Re: earthquake preparation
February 01, 2005 12:22AM
Don't forget to change the water after 3 months. That is the recomended time for keeping water.
I have about 20 litres of water on hand, I bought it in big bottles from the supermarket and it has at least a year before it supposedly "expires".
I also keep candles and matches and a good selection of canned food, a first aid kit and torch but that is about it. I must admit that they are not all in the same place so the organisation could be better.

I also have a plan with Ed as to who gets what chidlren from their beds in the night in the event of a fire or other emergency. Mind you we haven't discussed it since the arrival of Freddie so it may be up for review.
February 01, 2005 11:22PM
Question - they say you should have 3 litres of water per person per day. For how many days should you stock up. As a family of 4, it means 12 litres of water per day for us.

My husband grew up in Chch and his parents never had a kit. We are in Ashburton where apparently we are more prone to quakes than Chch. Having lived in Auckland for all my life, I am just starting to get my head around all this - we never had anything set up in Ak either.

Ali
February 02, 2005 01:33AM
Always have shoes or slippers by the bed and make sure you put them on before you leave the room. (broken glass)
February 02, 2005 02:30AM
Don't forget clean underware????? Oh!! I think that is case of a accident.:}:}:}:}
LynneR
February 02, 2005 09:17AM
Helen - i thought i was the only person who had the night time thing worked out. my family at home are teenagers now, but my husband would go to one childs door and me to another. its the protection instinct!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.