Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fitted sheets

Posted by Diane 
Fitted sheets
February 02, 2005 01:25PM
A silly question! Does anyone have an easy method of folding these wretched things? - they drive me nuts.

The only neat way is to fold them on the floor and then they get covered in fluff, cat furr and whatever! I'm not a real fusspot, but would like my sheets to look somehow folded rather than stuffed!

Raewyn G
Re: Fitted sheets
February 02, 2005 07:24PM
I fold them width ways. Now explaining it could prove difficult!!!!:-o
Here goes:

When you launder and put on the line, I put mine over the line, so that the top and bottom elastic is at the bottom. When taking off the line, I use the fold/crease where it was resting on the wire as my guide. I fold in half, and in half again widthwise, then proceed to do the same again, lenghthwise. Works well and is never messy to put away in my ultra tidy linen cupboard.

Clear as mud?
Hope it works for you,
Regards,
Raewyn G.
February 02, 2005 08:20PM
I saw an Oprah show once where Martha Stewart showed how she folded fitted sheets. Looked great, but can't for the life remember how she did it. But look where it got her.......lol!grinning smiley

Cheers, Wilm
Cindy
February 02, 2005 08:37PM
Raewyn G I'm looking forward to trying your method next time TY!!
February 02, 2005 09:36PM
Fitted sheet are a pain in the &%$#@* to fold, huh. I usually end up just doing the best I can on the dining table then budling them in a heap in frustration. Who cares if they're wrinkled up.!
February 02, 2005 09:46PM
Sounds like your fitted sheets look like a dog's dinner in the linen cupboard Lynne - just like mine winking smiley

I sometimes leave them until my husband is at home and between the two of us - one at each end - we manage to make them look more respectable - but in the end I don't agonise if they are crumpled - c'est la vie :}

February 02, 2005 09:52PM
Oh come on.... who cares what your fited sheets look like, they are clean, that is what matters...winking smiley
actually have to confess I can't get the @%$//** things folded neatly either, but have long since given up getting uptight about it. I think Raewyn's method best explains how I fold them, won't try to improve on her fantastically clear description.
Kaye.
February 02, 2005 10:15PM
Well mine don't exactly look neat, but I roll them loosely into a roll, then have the fitted sheets sitting on top of the flat ones (which are folded neatly) in the cupboard.

You need to have quite a lot of shelve space to do this, though, which fortunately we do.

Would love to know an easier and neater method too.

Linda.
February 02, 2005 10:17PM
hey, just bundle them in like I do. Better things to worry about.lol
Regards, Jeanette
February 02, 2005 11:23PM
I use Raewyn's method. I saw that Oprah show with Martha Stewart - can't remember how as I work, but must have been sick - and she used Raewyn's method. I wonder how Martha is folding her prison sheets now :} or if they even give her fitted sheets in there!!!
February 02, 2005 11:29PM
I use to lay them out on the bed, then fold them. The most ghastly things that I ever bought, Never again.:/:/
February 02, 2005 11:30PM
Oophs! - the clothes dryers doesn't do line creases very well! :}

February 03, 2005 12:13AM
I scrunch and throw them in the linen cupboard grinning smiley
February 03, 2005 12:20AM
I only fold then when my husband is at home. We hold the corners of the fitted top part, and 'encourage' the sides to go in to the middle of the sheet, then fold it as I would a normal sheet. That way, the sides of the sheet end up folded in the middle and you can treat it as a flat sheet for folding.

Ali
February 03, 2005 12:32AM
Pleased to read that there are other scrunchers amongst us!!!

Cheers, wilm
Bev
February 03, 2005 12:52AM
I kind of roll them up and toss into the linen cupboard and shut the door quickly:}
February 03, 2005 01:45AM
Be positive - don't let the sheets think that you are scared of them!

I gave this advice to my sister-in-law many years ago, and she said it helped her with the same problem.

February 03, 2005 06:57AM
I'm with Ali - grab the peaks of the "darts" in the corners, shake the edges inside, then fold as a normal sheet, enclosing the loose bits. I know it shouldn't matter, but I do feel better if the shelves look tidy. Janet
February 03, 2005 11:16AM
I sort of use the same method as Raewyn G. but it depends on my mood, they often just get rolled op in a heap, horrible things
Lynda
Raewyn G
February 03, 2005 12:05PM
Just to set the record straight, I did not learn how to fold fitted sheets from Martha Stewart!!!!! And I have no association with the woman!!!! I haven't got time to go where she has gone, cos I have too much bread to make!!!! hehehehehhe:}
Raewyn G (not american!!!):}

February 03, 2005 06:53PM
I must be the only person who doesn't know about Martha Stewart. What's she done to be where she is?

Lorna
Jennifer
February 03, 2005 09:06PM
Heh, you don't know how appropriate your question is Lorna!:}:} This link will explain a little:
[www.cbsnews.com]

There's even a movie made about her, and it's very watchable too:
[us.imdb.com]
February 03, 2005 10:27PM
She was had up for insider trading. As if she neened to. She is a millionairess. Doing a stint in prison. Other than that , was a TV personallity on home making etc. I heard this morning that she is going to be sighned up with one of the TV outfits for the apprentice. Only in America. Be come a crim and get selebrity status. I heard that she is not doing it too hard in clink.
February 05, 2005 01:33PM
Better late than never - this is what I do. Place the top half of the sheet on a flat surface - elastic side facing. Take the bottom of the sheet up and tuck the elastic section up inside the hem of the top of the sheet, - the bottom hem can be turned the other way. So now left corner is tucked into left top corner and right corner is tucked into right top corner. Continue folding sheet to desired size.
February 05, 2005 01:59PM
I must be insane as I love fitten sheets.

But I do the scrunch,hide and slam the cupboard door...

Zeetra
Jennifer
February 05, 2005 09:49PM
If you've got a double/queen/king bed, it's a great place to lay them while "tidily" folding them up.
February 08, 2005 01:18AM
Hi there,

The things you find when you go exploring a website!!

I use the Martha Stewart method thanks to Oprah! You put the wrong side of the points together which has the sheet folded in half. Lay it on a table and fold the edges in so they are flat. Then fold to desired size. I don't get perfect folded sheets but they manage to look reasonably decent in the linen cupboard.

I can't believe I owned up in public to doing something of Martha Stewarts, watching Oprah and folding fitted sheets in the same posting. Must be time for a stiff coffee!

Regards Petrina

PS Having reread this, if you can visualise and do this.....your amazing!
February 08, 2005 11:33AM
I do the Martha Stewart thing too. When you see how it works, it seems so...simple.

Claire
lesnic
February 09, 2005 08:02AM
Here you go Diane, click on this link for martha stewarts demo

[www.marthastewart.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.