Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cloth nappies

Posted by Zeetra 
Cloth nappies
February 02, 2005 07:35PM

Hi all,

Now I dont want to seem rude but i am asking this question as I know a lot of you are older mums and would have used cloth nappies in the past.

Now we are headed up to Auckland overnite next weekend.

Now I want to use cloth nappies on Abi as last time we went, the disposable were really smelly...plus I cant be bothered with buying any...lol except for sleeping.

Has anyone used cloth while away from home over night and if so what did you do to take care of the nappy?

As I cant soak them in a bucket as we wont be in one spot for long...so busy...

Plus I do have a bucket with a lid on it for rinsed out ones.

Zeetra
Cindy
Re: Cloth nappies
February 02, 2005 08:34PM
I would tend to go the opposite way definately using disposables for travelling and cottons for home. I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to sort cotton nappies out while away. JMO
February 02, 2005 08:49PM
Oh yes, I totally understand that one.
But I am honestly sick and tired of forking over money for nappies...

I know its only one night/day but then again it IS only one night/day...
It would kind of be like at home except the way i am "storing" them..

Any help is appreciated....
February 02, 2005 09:02PM
Zeetra

Believe me, disposables are the only way to go for travelling. I can't understand why you think cloth nappies would be best for that. They're certainly not convenient. I am one of the older mums who used only cloth nappies - disposables were just beginning to come on the market when my first baby was born, and I never used them except for the flight over from England to NZ.

If you are sick of forking out money for disposables, buy yourself a couple of dozen cloth ones and use them at home, but for travelling you can't beat the disposables.

Lorna
February 02, 2005 09:23PM
I do use cloth at home...
I have since I had Alex...

Maybe I shouldnt have asked this question......

Zeetra
February 02, 2005 09:38PM
Hi there Zeetra

Maybe you could take a small container of napisan or whatever you use for soaking and just give the nappies a good scrub-a-dub-dub in your bucket. Then a quick hand wash with sunlight soap, rinse and wring out & pop them into a plastic bag with the zip type seal thingy (don't know what it is called). I understand you not wanting to spend $$$ on disposables that are not necessary.
Have a safe trip.
Lucy
smiling smiley

February 02, 2005 10:02PM
I used cloth nappies on our 3 children, and it was only with our youngest that disposables had improved to the point that I used them with him, when we went away from home. From memory, ( and it seems like a very long time ago, when I try to remember details like this!!!) I took a 20litre bucket with good fitting lid, and put it in the back of the station wagon, and put the nappies in it, to soak, with the minimum of soaking solution during the trip, I washed them out and even travelled on with them wet, but clean. Occassionally it even meant washing them by hand. Oh the joys of nappies. I agree with using cloth ones at home, but wouldn't feel in the least bad about using disposables on a trip. Reminds me of how cross I felt once, when I was buying some and the young girl on the checkout took it upon herself to lecture me about how bad they were for the environment. Just as well it was me at 30, she told that to, and not me at 45....... I felt bad enough buying them at all, even for outings, and would never have used them all the time. So her comments were toatlly unecessary for me. Wow if I was spoken to like that now, I hate to imagine what may have happened... I must be getting old and cranky.
Have a happy break.
Kaye.
February 02, 2005 10:27PM
When Monique was a baby (she's 9 now) she had clicky hips, so we had to use cloth nappies as disposals just didn't fit around her harness, which she was had.

We went away one weekend, and I just put the wet nappies (which I'd rinsed out) into a plastic shopping bag, which was inside a heavy plasitc type of bag. This was during winter, so not sure if the summer heat would affect the smell. But then you say you're only going to be overnight, so you'll probably be OK.

I always used a liner in cloth nappies, which made any dirty nappies, easier to deal with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Linda.
February 02, 2005 11:26PM
Zeetra if they had been available when my 2 were young I would have gladly bought them. After all it is only over night that you need them. So swallow your pride and buy a packet. For convenience sake.:-o:-o:-o
February 03, 2005 01:05AM
Good on you for using cloth naps Zeetra, each disposable nappy takes 700 years to biodegrade. Plus they are not good for the young ones skin and who knows what else. I hope you find a way to make the cloth ones work on your trip, as every disposable we prevent from getting into a landfill is a good thing.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.