Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Removing bubble gum

Posted by Linda 
Removing bubble gum
February 03, 2005 01:56AM
Our homestay boys have been eating gum in their bedrooms, but according to the school, they're good boys and don't eat food in their bedrooms. GRRRRR!!!!

Well there is gum on their sheets and PJ's, plus it was smeared on the tiles in the bathroom. Fortunately, none is on the carpet. I managed to scrape it off the tiles, but its still on the sheets, despite me doing a hot wash. I'm not to concerned about their PJ's, but I am about the sheets, which we only bought 3mths ago, as I needed to get some more linen.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Linda.
Re: Removing bubble gum
February 03, 2005 02:06AM
Hi Linda

You are having a bad run arent you. According to my mothers CWI book, eucalyptus oil removes chewing gum or the other one I know of is to put it in the freezer and leave it overnight, and it peels off quite easily. I have tried that with a pillow slip, where one young son many years ago went to bed with chewing gum and it ended up on his pillow slip, through his hair and in his ear. Quite messy. Taught him a lesson though.

Hopefully one of these will work.

Helen CB
Cindy
February 03, 2005 02:06AM
I have heard of people putting stuff in the freezer and then chipping it off. Not sure if this works as I haven't tried it myself.
February 03, 2005 02:23AM
Thanks for your prompt replies.

Once you'd said freezer, I do vaguely remember having heard that before. And I guess cos the bathroom tiles are hard and cold, thats why it came off so easily from there.

The boys go in two weeks, and its countdown. I know that sounds awful, but just how I feel about it, right now.

Linda.
February 03, 2005 03:34AM
Eucalyptus oil is great for removing sticky things.
Smelly though!

Since it's sheets I would try the freezer thing - the oil may leave a bit of a stain maybe.

Countdown until the boys leave and congratulate yourselves on surviving it!!!! You have enough on your plate at the moment without their hassles.

Cheers, Wilm
February 03, 2005 04:17AM
Hi Linda,

I was only going to suggest the freezer too. But How the heck would the school know if they eat in bed or not?

Must be a damn good school...

Zeetra
February 03, 2005 07:29PM
Linda

You must have a tremendous amount of patience. By now, I would have taken these two little darlings, and all their bags, and left them on the doorstep of the school. How dare they tell you that they can't find anywhere else for them to stay (as you mentioned in another post).

Lorna
February 03, 2005 11:13PM
I have used the Orange De-solve-it product, with success can't blame the kids that time as it was me ... eeek:-o . You can purchase at supermarkets/hardware outlets. Leanne

Michelle
February 04, 2005 08:19AM
Gee that makes you angry huh Linda?? I've had a recent experience with my daughter and chewing gum on her nice new skirt. Of course she tells me AFTER it went through the wash! I'm left with an oily stain on it and its unbeknown to me how I'm to remove it. If anyone knows how to remove it please post. I might give the eucalyptus oil a go and see how it all pans out.
February 07, 2005 02:28AM
Try De- Solv- It worked great on silly putty & you can use it on most surfaces eg carpet clothing etc can be purchased from supermarket or hardware shops- good luck!!:}

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.