Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

IBS

Posted by arnya 
IBS
October 19, 2005 11:03PM
no doubt there has been plenty talked about this subject in the past ,but its all new too me...first experienced 2 yrs ago and was brought on by nerves from exams etc,even thou i felt ok & not at all stressed or nervous,now having bouts for no apparent reason.Having tests done to rule out foods etc but wondering if anyone has had any sucess in treatments,have to travel at xmas and the worry of it happening seems to be enough to bring it on ,appreciate any feed back
Re: IBS
October 20, 2005 12:28AM
Hi Arnya
I had my first attack about 5 years ago. It happens every year about Queen's Birthday. I can not find out what triggers it. I have tried diet, stress etc. So I just live with it. But I do get a bit nervous every Queen's Birhtday. Sometimes it is in the next month but so far only once a year.
Stephanie
sue
October 20, 2005 03:05AM
What is IBS
October 20, 2005 04:29AM
Irritable bowel syndrome??
arnya
October 20, 2005 07:27AM
yeah, it stands for irritable bowel syndrome,just learnt that it doesnt always mean you have unpredictable/uncontrollable diahorra,it can be constipation based also,so i'm very confused
October 24, 2005 10:42PM
Hi all, are you sure it is IBS?
It could be Divaticulitus, I thought I had IBS years ago and after some ( not too pleasant) tests, it was dicovered I had the dreaded Diva.....

It has the same symptoms and comes on for no apparent reason, very unpleasant indeed.

I found I had to keep off most greasy things especially cream, and have a diet very high in fibre, that worked most times but always it reoccured.

after some 10 years it was decided I should have an operation for it, I had it in March this year and it was the best thing I have ever done, my life is now no longer dictated to by my bowel.

so there it is, I think the only difference is that in Divaticulitus there are pockets in the bowel, but all the rest is the same.

Kiwi fruit is the most wonderful thing for the constipation! 2 a day or more.
October 27, 2005 03:44AM
Irritable bowel is a dreadful thing. I've discovered that tomatoes & some other unknown something starts mine off. When a bout comes on I take Metamucal for a week them I'm right for ages. Tomato season is upon me so I'll have to be careful for a while.
Cheers
Carol
arnya
October 27, 2005 08:10AM
thanks for your posts lots of helpful advise & i will follow up on the diva
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.