Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

On Line Gift Buying

Posted by Angela 
On Line Gift Buying
November 10, 2005 12:57AM
I am a great fan of shoping on the internet (unfortunately!) and readily get caught up in the idea of having something delivered to myself or friends for a special occaision.

I have recently discovered a new gift site [www.bigsplendour.co.nz] which is probably more at the top end of the market but has some gorgeous, really different things.

Worth a look for that hard person to buy for!
Re: On Line Gift Buying
November 10, 2005 01:56AM
Does anyone else have any sites that they have used for shopping online and been pleased with, in terms of quality and service?
This year the idea of shopping without going anywhere is growing in appeal.
So I may try online for a change.
jj
November 10, 2005 05:58AM
Has anyone tried online gift buying for friends and relatives overseas?
November 10, 2005 08:46AM
I would also like to know of sites to purchase gifts in the UK for my family it is so expensive to post I would rather spend that money on the gift
November 10, 2005 07:12PM
I have a son in Cambridge UK and typed "Cambridge' into Google and came up with a list of local shops etc

Emailed a wine celler and choose some NZ wine and had it delieved (at no cost) to him
Paid by credit card and had no problems.

Have also done this for flower delivery, avoiding the Interflora fees which are a good part of the cost.

Daughter in Law has done this for her parents in Perth Aust. Just used Google to find the site

Bev M
Hot and sunny Whitianga
November 11, 2005 01:56AM
These sites are brilliant for children's pressies. I've used them for years...iqtoys.co.nz and edex.co.nz and toyplanet.co.nz. I have only used toyplanet this year but the others many times and their services is A+++++++++++++ smiling smiley
November 11, 2005 08:39AM
<www.letterland.co.nz> has a great range of educational products that can be ordered on-line.
November 11, 2005 08:45PM
I have family in the UK and have tried Amazon a couple of times. The first ones went quite smoothly. The last one they took about six months to tell me the books I had ordered were unavailable. Which is not really ok if you are sending some one a gift! So now I am wary of this option. But after saying this I would love to find out any other options for sending gifts in the UK. I looked up mag subscriptions, but they work out quite expensive.
November 12, 2005 12:13AM
For perfume i use Strawberrynet which I think is based in Hongkong.

They have free posting - packaged very well in a solid cardboard box with foam chips etc, a gift card if neccessary, comes with a purple ribbon on the outside and is sent registered courier post. They give you a tracking number so you can see where it at in the delivery process.

The prices are better then duty free, and I can ensure that I get what I want - which is often not the way with duty free - or do I wear unusual perfumes???

Can get all sorts of other female and male products
too

Have never had any problems with these guys at all

Cheers

Wendy
November 12, 2005 01:30AM
I have a site that you can send NZ wine in the UK only problem is you need to order 12 bottles. I have not used it though, also has gift/hamper baskets as well. It costs around $37 dollars just to send wine from NZ from one of the wineries I have a brochure from.
Another site I am looking at also is ukonlineshopping.org.uk.
November 12, 2005 02:22AM
I agree that Strawberrynet is great.
Good selection and prices.
November 12, 2005 04:33AM
This UK one looks amazing.I haven't used it- but have seen it recommended in a magazine and its been in the top 10 websites in the UK, so assume it's OK is <www.firebox.com>
November 12, 2005 06:34AM
I've just been looking at thebiggamecompany.co.nz...... not cheap but if you're into games it's a great site.
November 12, 2005 08:26AM
I need to find a good online store in the US for buying gifts for children.
I've done books and don't really want to buy GAP - any other ideas?
November 21, 2005 01:02PM
I was really tired of roaming shopping centres, and coming up with the same gift everytime - a necklace or lipstick, for my friends. This year I decided to shop from Amazon instead, and I've even prepared a gift guide that might help you out if you're planning to buy a gift for children or teenagers. It's at

[mycrumblepie.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2005 08:03PM
Helen - I have ordered some lovely Wizard of Oz things from the US

[www.wbshop.com]

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
November 24, 2005 09:23AM
I recently found this NZ gift buying site, only suitable for Kiwi recipients. It sends vouchers for experiences, and it looks pretty good, I thought.

[www.remember.co.nz]
November 11, 2006 08:19AM
Hi Bev, can you remember which wine cellar you emailed as my daughter and son in law moved from London to Cambridge in September and would like to give them some wine again for xmas, can you just order single bottles as last year when looking most of the sites I looked at required a case.
November 11, 2006 08:02PM
Have sent you a PM

Bev M

Sunny Whitianga
November 12, 2006 04:19AM
Thanks Bev but the PM didnt come through
November 12, 2006 08:01PM
Sorry about that

Go to www.cambridgewine.com

Good luck

Bev M
November 13, 2006 04:17AM
last year i bought about half of my xmas presents of trade me(all brand new) , they have loads of brand new things on there and they cater for all ages

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.
They also have secrets they don't share."

November 13, 2006 09:22PM
We have just received a great booklet from World Vision - in it are many choices of "gifts" you can give to families (in Africa in our case) on behalf of your family or friends

we are giving to all our family something from this list:

$12 - school materials uniform shoes
$20 10 x trees
$30 - school text books
$45 a beehive
$50 vegetable seeds
$52 piglets
$80 school fees etc
$87.50 supplies for a farmers group
$120 four school desks
$155 a bicycle for a health worker
$160 school for one year
$175 seeds and fertiliser for a farmers group
$215 school fees and materials for HIV child
$250 entrepreneurs loan (Cambodia)
$790 sports equipment
$1050 a dairy cow
$1575 a tree nursery
$5575 - house for a child-headed family
$6320 rainwater tank for a school
$9000 Visionfund community bank

something for every budget!

they advertise a link to [www.giftsofhope.org.nz] but it doesn't work yet or you can call on 0800 24 5000 for more info

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 09:23PM by lynley.
November 14, 2006 03:59AM
Oxfam have a similar programme.
November 14, 2006 08:42AM
Thanks Bev, will do an order when it gets nearer to xmas, just thought I should think about xmas, I would rather buy online than spend heaps on postage sending a gift by snailmail or post if you like.
November 16, 2006 01:05AM
Some of reading this thread may think you are "excluded" from buying
online as you do not have a credit card. I don't have one and don't want one.
However, I have approached a handful of NZ sites asking them to provide me with their bank a/c details in order to make an internet transfer.
Most have been delighted to provide this option (even though they don't offer it on site). Foodlovers has been great like this, IQ toys, Ginny's herbs, and just last week I ordered the best apron I have EVER had from wallace cotton.
Just thought I'd let others know that it can be done without a credit card !! (but only in NZ of course)
November 16, 2006 10:47AM
Have just been glancing at a T V Guide and saw this site www.giftmall.co.nz
I havent had a look at it but someone might be interested.
Jean
November 16, 2006 08:47PM
Yes, Ive just seen that site advertised too. Have it on my list of web-sites to investigate after I've finished my daily Foodlovers fix.
December 13, 2006 04:10AM
Further to Angela's message posted in November, I have just received at my door a special gift I purchased on-line from www.bigsplendour.co.nz for my daughter for Christmas. I am absolutely thrilled with their service and the gift is beautifully wrapped all ready for placing under the tree. They were great girls to deal with so I really recommend this website - thanks Angela and thanks Foodlovers as I would never have heard about them otherwise!
December 16, 2006 09:47AM
Bev, I have placed my order on the site you gave me, they advised me one of the NZ wines I ordered was unavailable so made another choice so should be delivered next week, thanks for you help. So easy online shopping and no hefty delivery fee if sending from NZ to the UK
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.