Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Scapbooking HELP!!!

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
Scapbooking HELP!!!
January 29, 2006 10:26PM
Hi all, well I have been told that i need to take up something just for me. So I have decided I might try scapbooking, i like drawing but because my hands get sore i can only do little drawings over a ferw days. I thought I could incorporate them into scapbooks with photos etc.... but I was wondering does anyone have anything on how to get stasrted that I could borrow or buy?
I have a laminator and lots of card, colored paper pens etc but the tips of the trade elude me.
I thought it might even be possible to incorporate crossstitch into it too?
But any beginners guide type stuff would be sooooooo appreciated?
Kindest Regards
the new novice scrapbooker
lisa
Re: Scapbooking HELP!!!
January 29, 2006 11:30PM
Hi Lisa

There's a multitude of websites you could surf to on this topic - beware - just like this website, it's an "easy-to-gain addiction" - but sooooo much fun.

www.diynetwork.com is a great site - they have a scrapbooking section with myriads of ideas. There is a programme on the (Sky) Living Channel called DIY Scrapbooking and any projects they undertake on the show can be found here - complete with instructions, templates etc.

www.learn2scrapbook.com is another good site to check out.

You may find your local schools run night classes or there's bound to be craft or stationery shops in your area with classes you can attend.

Another avenue to try is friends who are already into scrapbooking - have a look at what they have done and get some inspiration from them - and it's always fun to scrapbook with a few friends.

All the best with your new hobby - I KNOW you'll enjoy it!

Cheers
Nozzie

PS: Any card, paper or stickers etc you use should be acid and lignin free - this helps to keep your photos safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 11:32PM by Nozzie.
January 29, 2006 11:34PM
Damn it Lsa WHY DO YOU LIVE IN TIMARU AND NOT PN...........

Scrapbooking is one of my biggest hobbies and I would've been happy to lend you my books and equipment to try out.

BE WARNED - IT CAN BE A VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY.

However, - probably the best piece of advise I can give you at the moment is about what you need to decide BEFORE you start.

Are you doing this to create "pretty" scrapbooks with memorbilia/journalling/photos - OR are you wanting to archive stuff to keep.

Depending on what you want to produce will guide you in how you should go about it and how much you will spend.

Just be aware that if you are wanting to "preserve" stuff you need to do it totally acid/lignim free - that's EVERYTHING - the albumn, the paper, the pencils/pens, the stickers. the photos, the page protectors - THE LOT.

Personally I am totally archival. I am onto my 3rd album - the first one took me a year to produce for AJ's 21st birthday. At present I am doing my family heritage with photos, marriage certificates, newspaper cuttings and heaps of journalling with all the family history and snippets. I think that if I am doing this - it will only be done the once and I want it to last for my grand children. The top quality albumns are guaranteed for 100yrs - so I won't be around to see if they do start to deteriorate - however you need to stay "archival" in your practise to ensure that. If you put newspaper clippings etc in you can't have them close to a photo as they will eventually affect the photo. It is the potential danger to the items which keeps me true to preserving the memories. I copy EVERYTHING onto the hard drive, and have 2 discs - 1 here at home and a copy at John's office - rememeber in the case of a tragedy like a fire you could lose it all if you only have 1 copy and if you are the only one with all this family stuff and it is lost....................... shudder

To put your drawings, cross stitch in is a wonderful idea and it is part of you and who you were - they are treasures - however if you want it to last it needs to be done correctly.

Have you got any scrapbook shops in Timaru. These stores often run classes - I started with an Introduction to Scrapbooking day - and I was away - hooked/addcited the lot - but I can see now how important it was to get the basics. I also have a consultant from Creative Memories whom I get my quality albums from. Be VERY careful with choosing your albumns. They need to be good quality and while a big expense - it is ALL your hard work contained in ther. I think if you are going to go to so much work and expense you need to guarantee it is archival - and the album won't fall apart with all the looking it is going to get. This happened to a friend and she was devastated. Had to start all over again. Took her 2 yrs to finally complete.

I could find out thru my C Memories consultant if you have anyone in Timaru if you would like. I would love to send you my books - but I am unfortunately using them at the moment for ideas for Mum's one - have them all bookmarked with a page I liked the look of. Perhaps your Library has some books - or your scrapbook shop may have a library system.

I don't know if I have helped in anyway - but feel free to email me if you want - happy to share.

Good luck and do think seriously about what I said about deciding HOW you are going to do it - it will have an impact of what you should do next.

Gosh - hope I haven't put you off girl - take a breath.

There's some quite good sites too I am told including the kiwiscraps one - but I don't use them - I prefer to spend my time actually creating the pages. Just do a google search - or someone else who uses them may be able to advise better.

Watch this space - and I think it is great you are thinking about what LISA can do for LISA.......................... It is an immensely rewarding hobby and boy what you produce in the end makes your heart burst.

Creative hugs from Raewyn
January 30, 2006 01:11AM
thank you! What is the best Glue to use. I bought a glue stick that is supposed to stick fabric paper etc......... but it does not seem to be at all sticky enough?
January 30, 2006 01:45AM
Just a note re: acid free - if you want your albums to last 100 years or more then acid free is the way to go. However, if you are only wanting something to last your lifetime & maybe that of your children, any materials will do. (This tip from a well respected American scrap guru!)
January 30, 2006 01:47AM
Another thing - 12 x 12 is not always "best". All my scrapbooking is A4, which here in NZ is much easier ( & cheaper) to source! I cut any 12 x 12's to size & my materials go further too!
January 30, 2006 02:37AM
Hi there,

Well Scrapbooking is my favourite hobby in fact im having a break from it while I look at the net..

If you need to start off get a few small suppilies such as a

metal ruler
self healing cutting mat
scissors
acid free glue
photo splits/tabs
acid and ligin free card and paper.
pencil
acid free pens

They say to buy acid free as have you noticed that after a while when you write on something it kind of turns yellow, well thats the acid, and when you see photos go yellow too, it beacause the photo album isnt acid free so if you have those stick back type of album from years ago, try and get your photos off there as the glue could be damaging your photos.

ANYWAY, to buy this stuff for scrapbooking, go to The Warehouse as they have paper, card, glue, pens, embellishements etc.But Spotlight has stuff there too. CHCH has 3 scrapbooking shops and Ashburton has one.

As for A4 being easier size to do, it can be but 99% of the stores do not stock A4 acid free papers so you have to buy 12 x12 anyway so you might as well do 12 x12.
But i have done a couple of A4 and I am liking it.

If you need any more advice feel free to email me or even send me a private message I can help you as much as possible,

here is a link to Scrapbookin Annies a scrapping shop in Putaruru. She is very helpful and will post you anythign you need, check out her crop boxes,even better sign up for her Gin and Tonic newsletters.

[www.scrapbookin-annie.co.nz]

here is link on that website to look at my pages i have done

[69.73.172.20]

Also grab a couple of scrabooking mags they may give you ideas, but as Raewyn Mc said, it can get very expensive but also very addictive.

Good Luck

Zeetra

January 30, 2006 02:38AM
Lisa, Please dont use your fabric glue on your scrapbooking, unless it says acid free......
January 30, 2006 05:39AM
I am not into scrapbooking but I love the idea. There is a wonderful website which I love to browse around in and it is called Two Peas in a Buc

Gaylene
January 30, 2006 06:18AM
Thank you!!!! Absolutely Wonderful to see your work Zeetra.
Well i'm going to try and go home via the warehouse ;-)!!!!
I have done books over the years but they are more diary's with photos and dried flowers etc..... Not particuarly professional and now after fifteen or so years they have pictures falling off writing that has bled etc......... Will check out acid free glue too!!!!!!!!!!!!
The card I have is 12 x12 but for somethings I will cut down to A4 and I saw on sky the other night mini scrap books which looked like lovelly gifts. Also i am keen on making wee art gallery books for the children with all their picture from creche and school in. (when i find this wonderful time i am not sure but gotta start somewhere i guess!)
Warmest regards
Lisa
January 30, 2006 11:40AM
Hi Lisa,
Please take Raewyn up on her offer of asking her contact re contact for you in Timaru the next best place to ask would ne one of the larger Stationary Shops who sell the albums etc. While there check out the prices of the equipment you will need.
good luck
Kay D
January 30, 2006 09:07PM
The site I mentioned is Two Peas in a Bucket Not sure what I was doing when I wrote the above. Sorry
January 30, 2006 10:11PM
www.twopeasinabucket.com - US

www.kiwiscraps.co.nz - Wellington

www.scrapbookin-annie.co.nz - Putaruru

www.nzscrapbook.co.nz - Auckland

www.craftwarehouse.co.nz - Rotorua

www.craftco.co.nz - CHCH

www.scraphappy.co.nz - Ashburton

www.artstamps.co.nz - CHCH

www.thestampingground.co.nz - CHCH

Hope this helps in any way

As most of these places you can buy online and have a great website.

Zeetra

lynner
February 01, 2006 06:10AM
my sister gave me the new zealand scrap booking book for christmas. i went in to the stationery warehouse and the warehouse today to have a look at what was available!! i certainly see that it would work out very expensive if you went in for all the equipment. i priced an album at $14 for a 12 x 12, and thought i will have a go using the very basics to begin with. if you photocopy newspaper articles will they be ok? i have two years to produce a scrap book of my sons cricket achievements!! after reading all the above i think i will also do a scrap book rather than what i had planned which was just to stick all the newspaper articles in a scrap book (the old fashioned type).
February 01, 2006 09:57AM
Hi there,

You sure can photo copy newspaper, but make sure its on acid free card or paper or else it will yellow with age.

You can buy a product called archival mist, you spray your paper/card all over and it prevents it from yellowing,

OR you could laminate but thats costly.

yes, it is very expensive but $14 for a 12 x 12 album is pretty cheap. They normally range around $30.

Zeetra
February 01, 2006 11:22AM
Hi Zeetra

I have recently acquired from my Mum newspaper articles on my great grandparents. Now we are talking mid to late 1800's. I had also thought of using the archival mist and discussed this with both my consultant and the scrapbook shop I frequent. They both said "No way" as this has only recently been produced and has not had the ":test of time". If my Mum has kept them safely for so many years it would be devastating if a can of solution ruined them. Once they are gone they are gone..... We don't know the long term affects of these sprays - and I am not willing to be the guinea pig - however it is of course a personal choice.

So - I have copied them onto acid free, loaded them onto the hard drive(and added them to the 2 discs that we have all the photos on) and I plan to put the originals in the scrapbook. At least this way they will be safer than in the tin box under my Mum's bed.

Checked out your pages - congrats on your lovely work. It is VERY time consuming isn't it - but great fun.

Regards
Raewyn
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.