Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Wooden bench tops

Posted by PatMac 
Wooden bench tops
May 09, 2006 04:58AM
Thinking about putting in an ''Island" bench soon but because the formica used on the existing benches is no longer available wondered if anyone had any experience with wood? If so, what sort of wood, and polished versus oiled? Would love some feedback as my husband is not with me on this and he would prefer granite, but unfortunately I don't particularly like the colours available as the existing benches will be hard to match up. He (husband) thinks wood will not be very hardwearing. Your comments please.
Re: Wooden bench tops
May 09, 2006 05:49AM
We have a jarahh oiled island bench and we have no problems with it, if there are anymarks on it I just use a polishing oil and give it a wipe down.
May 09, 2006 08:21AM
Karen

Jarrah is a hardwood isnt it? Was told that wood can also be expensive as much as granite, but that was kitchen maker talking I don't know myself. Would oil be better than poly then?
May 09, 2006 10:55PM
I`m not sure of cost, but our kitchen maker of the time told us it would cost as much to put a jarrah bullnose around the island as to have a whole top. Not sure if this was due to the labour involved. I personally think that at least with oil you can do it yourself, if you need to have it re polyurathaned, you`d have to get it done properly by someone, which would mean stripping it back. We have had our for over 5 years, and still love it, jarrah is alovely deep red wood.
May 10, 2006 11:12AM
Oiled wood is best in my opinion, although - on the granite topic you could look at a granite composite material like Quarella or Caesar Stone - they should both have websites. They have some lovely neutral colours to choose from and look really smart. Pretty much just as hard wearing as granite.
jen
May 11, 2006 12:59PM
We too have a jarrah wood top and it is stunning. It makes the kitchen warm and inviting. Had matching wood trim on the formica bench which looks great.
Granite apparently is very unforgiving on stem-ware. Loved it so much that we had similar top made for the bathroom. Use Danish oil on both.
jen
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.