Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Books

Posted by helen 
Re: Books
October 01, 2018 07:54PM
My Brilliant Friend was a book club read and I persevered with it but wish I hadn't bothered!
October 01, 2018 10:37PM
Lynette Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Brilliant Friend was a book club read and I
> persevered with it but wish I hadn't

We all have differing ideas about what constitutes a book that we enjoy and that is a good thing.
October 02, 2018 07:32AM
I have just finished Dear Mrs Bird, a very English but quite lovely novel.
Has anyone else read it?
It seems to be a current book club favourite.
November 13, 2018 05:22PM
"Malazan Book of the Fallen"
Pure gold.
November 16, 2018 04:09AM
Best book I've read this year is "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman, Soon to be a major motion picture produced by Reese Witherspoon (I hope they don't muck it up!) I loved the book.
November 16, 2018 08:13AM
The Lost Man is my pick for 2018. By Jane Harper (author of The Dry) and set in the Australian Outback. I felt as though I was living in the outback myself by the time I got to the end. it is so well written and a very moving story.
November 17, 2018 06:37AM
Danube, I will second you on "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine". Loved it.
June 22, 2019 06:33PM
Yesterday, I just finished Sanderson's Mistborn, which I read at the suggestion of my wife. I dont often read fantasy novels, and ended up really enjoying it. My wife happens to have the next two books in the series and so I am really looking forward to reading them :-)
J1
August 06, 2021 04:04AM
Some I've enjoyed reading so far this year:
Arbitrary Stupid Goal by Tamara Shopsin which contains lots of little anecdotes about her family’s grocery store/restaurant in Greenwich Village, New York and the people they know (friends, customers, people who live on the same street, workmen, etc).
Consent – A Memoir by Vanessa Springora. Eloquently written, with beautiful tone throughout.
Nomadland by Jessica Bruder (a film's been made of this).
Observations of a Rural Nurse by Sara McIntyre - a book of photographs that captures the land and inhabitants this NZ rural nurse sees. Daughter of artist Peter McIntyre.
Two Shakes of a Lamb’s Tail – The Diary of a Country Vet by Danielle Hawkins. NZ author, also writes fiction. Funny.
Hungry – a memoir of wanting more by Grace Dent. Food is quite central (as for many) and memories around food and family.
Currently reading The Undying by Anne Boyer, published 2019. Brilliant. So much so, I looked up the author and discovered the book won (tied) the Pulitzer Price for Non-Fiction in 2020.
August 13, 2021 03:01AM
Latest recommendations
Still Life, Sarah Winman
House of Kwa - Mimi Kwa. I have just started this and so far so good. The reviews are great.
September 04, 2021 11:01PM
Just reading ‘Black Teacher’, by Beryl Gilroy, an excellent read about a young black girl from Guyanese who goes to London & tries to seek work in a white world. Very touching & inspiring and very well written about how the white people reacted to black people.
October 23, 2021 12:45AM
Im not sure if this book has been recommended in this Books post - but Ive just finished reading "The Dressmakers of Auschwitz". It is a true story written by Lucy Adlington who is a British dress historian & who interviewed the few surviving women who were imprisoned in this camp. So lots of childhood memories, courtships, faith & friendships. And so much more.

I realise the stories may be very harrowing to read for some but the recollections also were around the wives of the SS who many of these women stitched for, the fabrics & designs, the skills used - & also how so many of them were "saved for another day" just by the SS wives selfish wants for fashion.

Incredible & frightening to think of so many, many people who disappeared because of.
December 11, 2021 04:15AM
For fans of Richard Osman I recommend The Appeal by Janice Hallett. It's an epistolary novel, composed mainly of emails and texts, very funny and easy to read, ideal for a break from end-of-year responsibilities. I'm half way through it and am having to exert great self-discipline to tear myself away and do some dinner prep for tonight.

[www.amazon.com]
February 22, 2022 10:26PM
I share and recommend books I have enjoyed on FB and have forgotten to do so here. Sorry!
Sarah Hall is a new writer to me, her new novel was reviewed last week on Radio National and I immediately looked her up and read about her ... reviews et cetera and something she herself wrote about The Wolf Border, a novel published in 2015, the first book in which she felt she really hit her straps. It is superb. I was enthralled.
Five stars! The Wolf Border by Sarah Hall.
March 03, 2022 10:04AM
I have just read The Lincoln Highway and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the journey and self discovery of 4 boys whose paths are varied and complex. i found it slow in parts but over all a really good read. I particularly liked the character of Billy, the youngest of them all.
I am now struggling with whats next so if anyone has recommendations then I am keen to hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2022 10:04AM by helen.
April 07, 2022 12:23PM
Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is a great read & so is Sunflower Sisters & Lilac Girls both by Martha Hall Kelly.
All quite different to each other but very interesting.
July 20, 2022 12:19AM
I am loving Kate de Goldi's novel 'Eddy, Eddy.' A reviewer in the Listener found it as stunningly good as Barbara Trapido's 'Brother of the more famous Jack,' and Dodie Smith's 'I Capture the Castle.' As these are two of my favourite books ever I was compelled to obtain it!
July 20, 2022 05:34AM
Stephanie, Kathryn Ryan interviewed Kate de Goldi yesterday. Yes, she is a remarkable writer and from what I gather, the most loved one when it comes to young adult novels.

I finished Anne Tyler's latest book yesterday; French Braid. I just love her books because she deals with families who appear just so ordinary but there is always something coming to the surface, like a grudge held or something going way back to childhood. She and Elizabeth Stroud are firm favourites. I can thoroughly recommend both authors.
July 20, 2022 06:30AM
Chris, I share your affection for Anne Tyler and Elizabeth Stroud. Kim spoke with Kate De Goldi too in recent weeks and they talked about Eddy, Eddy being slotted into adult novel category rather than YA. Reading it I agree completely. Not for the themes it handles but it is so layered and richly allusive I think it requires an older and more experienced reader to fully enjoy it. I see awards in its future!
January 22, 2023 04:11AM
I have had Nici Wickes’ book The Quiet Kichen on loan from the Library. I can really recommend this book. It’s part recipe book, part autobiography. She is so open, honest and authentic and I like the recipes too
Anonymous User
May 31, 2023 10:40AM
I started reading The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede, great book.
March 07, 2024 01:17PM
It's a shame when a book doesn't quite hit the mark, especially when it's a book club selection. Persevering through a book that doesn't capture your interest can feel like a bit of a slog. But hey, at least you gave it a chance.
Speaking of books, I've recently found solace in revisiting the Harry Potter books in order. There's something timeless and comforting about stepping back into the magical world of Hogwarts. If you're ever in need of a literary escape, I highly recommend immersing yourself in the enchanting world of Harry Potter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2024 08:04PM by Worlden.
March 25, 2024 03:08AM
As for what I've been enjoying lately, have you tried "Funny Story" by Emily Henry? It's a light and funny summer romance that left me with a big smile. If you're looking for something with a bit more depth, I recently finished "Splinters" by Leslie Jamison - it's a beautiful and thought-provoking essay collection about love and loss.thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.