Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Off The Rail Timaru

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
Off The Rail Timaru
April 05, 2005 03:38AM
If you are in Timaru be sure to Stop at the Off the Rail Cafe on Station Road. Craig is known for great coffee and affordable scrummy meals. He has been in the hospitality trade for over 25 years. He also offers outcatering for all occassions. Everything is always fresh and most of the food is baked on the premises, with the exception of a few special goodies. Gluten Free foods are also available.
A great atmosphere with funky comfortable seating, great music and easy parking close by.
Kind Regards
Lisa
(P.S Craig is my big brother but I assure you the praise given is genuine and well deserved)
Re: Off The Rail Timaru
July 03, 2005 11:13AM
Last night we attended a private function at Off the Rail Cafe. I've had previous experience of Craig's culinary skills so was looking forward to the meal with great anticipation.
The atmosphere was brilliant. I remember when the site of this cafe was the NZ Railway cafe and waiting room. Craig has retained the character of the original use of the building with, as Lisa said above, funky seating. It was almost a trip down memory lane! The jukebox was a great hit after dinner. And the dinner......yum yum yum! It was perfect. We had a choice of 3 dishes for each course.
I had Thai Pumpkin Soup and it was sooo creamy and a lovely 'afterburn'. I could have eaten that all night! My partner had Warm Ham
with Tamarilo Chutney. He HATES chutneys and relishes, so I was surprised at his choice...but he ate with gusto!
For a main I went with poached Gurnard with a smoked salmon and dill sauce. It was perfectly cooked and so delicious. Steve had a ribeye steak wrapped in bacon with a mushroom sauce. Again he doesnt usually go for anything with mushrooms, but he scoffed the lot! The steak was cooked to (our) perfection..lovely and pink the middle. The serving proportions were just right. I hate when my plate is so overloaded that I return it with half uneaten.
I couldnt manage dessert, but Steve had Chocolate Mud Cake with a berry sauce..and whipped cream! I managed a taste or two to appreciate just how yummy it was.
As I said...I had expectations of this meal and there was not one part of the dinner that I was disappointed in. We were in enjoyable company, in a friendly atmosphere.
Off the Rail Cafe comes highly recommended by me!

Paula
PS. Lisa....if you could get Craig's recipe for the Thai Pumpkin Soup, I'd be a happy camper!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.