Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Roses

Posted by joy 
joy
Roses
November 03, 2015 12:56AM
Just made a new rose bed, and after a trip to the super market have 6 lovely new HT roses to plant. I also ordered 4 more and that should fill up my new bed. So off this computer and out side to get planting. I love roses. Hubby hates roses and calls them prickly brutes he would rather have any other plant.
Re: Roses
November 03, 2015 07:02AM
Get them in fast, Joy. Mine are only a week or two away from flowering. I love roses and my husband wasn't keen because they were so much work in Auckland and never really flourished in our garden despite best efforts. However, down here in the South Island they are doing very well and with minimum care. The severe frosts seem to deal to the bugs and the low humidity helps keeping them at bay as well.
joy
November 03, 2015 11:57PM
We are in SI too Chris. Six of the roses are planted and the rest should be here by Friday. Had a nice shower on the planted ones last night. Cant wait to see them in full flower.
I just love roses and the ones I have had,in for several years are doing so well. Dont like spray, though, so dont do it. I keep them feed and watered and they seem to thrive.
J1
November 04, 2015 12:35AM
I don't spray either so my roses look pretty ghastly at times. I've found the best solution for myself is to plant them amongst perennials (peonies, foxgloves, delphiniums, etc) and/or green foliage shrubs, etc. This means their worst features are hidden but their flowers show well. Keeps me delighted with them and stops me from pulling them out in disgust! smiling smiley
November 04, 2015 02:56AM
I love the David Austin roses and have many in my garden. I do like you J1 and surround them with lots of perenials. Mine are just starting to flower now.
J1
November 04, 2015 09:01PM
I'm a big fan of the David Austin roses too, Griz, although they have their growing problems (too tall, too lax, too inclined to disease, etc). Their perfume, flower form and colouring are so lovely. I bought Glamis Castle years ago and it has to be one of the most awful rose bushes ever - spindly, disease magnet, tiny leaves, hates being pruned and grows so poorly it never needs it anyway, etc - but its flowers are so beautiful it stays in my garden.
joy
November 08, 2015 09:02AM
My favorite David Austin roses are Claire and Abraham Darby, as you both said they dont look very nice at times and I have decided not to prune them every year, just when they need a tidy up and they are far better for it. The perfume is so nice and makes up for their scraggy look.
November 08, 2015 09:51PM
Love roses but didn't have any until three years ago. The West Auckland climate put me off but I planted a patio climber and it seems to do quite well with neglect. Yes it gets bugs but nothing has killed it off yet!
J1
November 09, 2015 04:39AM
My roses get bugs (aphids) too. The silvereyes/wax-eyes and ladybirds enjoy eating them off. Nature's balance.
joy
November 09, 2015 05:25AM
Yes and a little dish washing detergent in cold water is good to help wipe the aphids out. I just tip over the bugs.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.