Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bog Plants

Posted by Kay D 
Bog Plants
May 29, 2006 01:15PM
Hi everyone,
My son has asked me to do a small area in his garden which is realy swampy and I would like to know what I can put there that has some colour.
there is a bush backdrop and a stream eventually he intends to build a weir type dam in the stream and finish the bridge..
Kay D
Re: Bog Plants
May 30, 2006 03:35AM
Taro (oops no colour - but the black taro leaves look fantastic)

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 03:36AM by lynley.
May 31, 2006 12:42AM
Hi Lynley,
They have just taken out the black taro as they didn't like it. I was thinking more of blues , pinks, reds etc.
It is next to a stream which my sone would like to put in a small dam to create a water feature.
kay D
P.S. the property is in West Auckland.
May 31, 2006 01:55AM
Hi Kay
I find that plant places are usually very helpful and you can see the plant and not just a name.
Many irises and I very much like the Japanese iris (probably not its correct name)
many ferns.
Gunnera has big Huge leaves and purple blu flower spikes
primulas
some salvias I believe
some lobelias
Astille they have feathery leaves and flowers
Hostas
chatam Island forgetmenots
flaxes and grasses
But it also depends on shade and how wet it is all year or if it tends to dry in summer
Just a few I can think of
Jean
May 31, 2006 02:09AM
Kay, here is a cut and paste from Mitre 10's website re some suitable plants:

Aquatic plants grow in the water with their roots in soil and their leaves floating on or above the surface. Waterlilies and lotus are aquatic plants.

Marginal plants grow at the water`s edge, with their roots in shallow water. Japanese iris, Siberian iris and papyrus tolerate wet feet.

Bog plants grow in damp areas near water or in an area of the garden with poor drainage. They do not like their roots sitting permanently in water. Astilbe, hosta and gunnera are bog plants.

I also checked out Palmers website for you, but whilst they refer to water gardens/bog plants, they don't give specific plant names

Cheers, Irene

May 31, 2006 11:06PM
I regularly receive a newsletter about what's new in gardening from
[www.liddlewonder.co.nz]

Liddlewonder is a wholesale nursery so they don't sell to the public, but their website is a mine of information on what to use where, colour-schemes and themes etc. There is a place to register to receive the newsletter, and the chance to win a monthly draw for some plants.
June 01, 2006 01:55PM
Thanks ladies,
the area is damp near the water. and is damp the whol;e year round.
I like the irises so will mix them in with other plants.
I have access to Cape Reianga lilies do they like it damp?

Lorna . will try liddlewonder. My older son is in the nursery trade(cacti and succulents) so will get him to get them to send a catalog, thanks very much.

I would loike some unusual plants as well.
kay D
bunny
June 06, 2006 06:28AM
the carex 'secta 'is a great grass more bog conditions.It is a big plant though .Cabbage trees love wet feet as well.you can get some smaller varieties as well.
June 06, 2006 02:03PM
Hi Bunny,
they have several Cabbage trees up the drive and some over the other side of the creek and think that they have enough but will see if there are different colours.
Kay D
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.