Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Growing Tomatoes in Wellington area

Posted by Jojo 
Growing Tomatoes in Wellington area
September 04, 2006 10:33PM
Is it too early to start off my tomato seeds inside, under glass? I have bought some heirloom seeds from Kings Seeds and I want to make sure that they get the best possible start. I will plant the seedlings out at Labour weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Jojo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2006 10:34PM by Jojo.
Re: Growing Tomatoes in Wellington area
September 05, 2006 12:42AM
I have no idea about your area Jojo, but what have you got to lose? Don't plant all your seeds just in case it is a disaster but if the weather is good you will have lovely tomatoes before everyone else. Just curious, I too, have been looking at the Kings catalogue, which tomatoes did you decide to grow? I was overwhelmed by the varieties and haven't made my mind up yet.

Stephanie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2006 01:33AM by Stephanie D.
September 05, 2006 01:06AM
I saw that Kings had one packet which was mixed heirloom tomatoes. Now all I have to do is find enough other stuff that postage is worth it (;
September 05, 2006 01:34AM
Christine
I don't know where you live but some of the garden centres do stock their seeds they just don't carry the variety.

Stephanie
September 05, 2006 10:36PM
I've bought seeds for Tigerella and Black from Tula, purely because they look rather unusual. Check out the Kings Seeds website for a description of these and many others. I've also purchased 6 different types of sunflower seeds to grow. I'm hoping that I will be able to save the seeds from this years crop of tomatoes and sunflowers .... (after enjoying the plentiful bounty of course).

Jojo
September 08, 2006 08:47AM
I always intend to save the sunflower seeds but I just can't be mean to all the lovely little birds that like to eat them.

Stephanie
September 10, 2006 11:56PM
Stephanie, I always leave a few "sacrificial" plants in the garden for the birds to chomp on. That way, we're all happy ...

Jojo
September 11, 2006 10:52PM
Jojo, I would need a whole field of sunflowers to do that. i only have a small city garden, by the time I take flowers to school for art lessons and some for the birds there are none left. One year I did contemplate digging up the lawn.......

Stephanie
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.