Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Meatloaf in the microwave?

Posted by CR 
CR
Meatloaf in the microwave?
April 15, 2007 02:51AM
Anyone have a recipe for the above please?
Re: Meatloaf in the microwave?
April 16, 2007 01:04AM
Good Morning CR,
I don't know that it's still done nowdays but when we bought our first microwave 20+ years ago, a series of lessons were included in the purchase price of the microwave. From those lessons I have a recipe for a Sweet and Sour Meatloaf which I will PM to you asap.
Pat
April 16, 2007 11:11PM
Hi CR,
I have PM you a microwave meatloaf receipe,
Cheers Pat
Pat
April 19, 2007 11:07PM
Hi CR
Did you get that recipe I PM to you
Cheers Pat
April 22, 2007 01:43PM
LOL - that brings back memories, when we first got our microwave, we got lessons too, was very hady to understand the basics, jut the other day I was trying to explain to the kids why I dont want the trivet lost/thrown out AGAIN!
Hard to remember that just because they grew up with a microwave, they dont really understand how they work.

With a meatloaf, I would imagine it would be a good idea to sprinkle the top with a sauce and some bread crumbs for texture, as it wont brown.

Using a dish with a thingy in the middle - technical term ;-) , like you do for a bundt cake, will help it cook more evenly.

While I have never tried meatloaf in the microwave - here are a few I found from google - they coud be used for general ideas:

[southernfood.about.com]
Quick and Easy Meat Loaf Recipe

From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
This microwave meat loaf is a snap to make.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients and mix gently with clean, moistened hands or fork; shape into a round loaf. Place loaf in a microwave-safe dish, cover with waxed paper and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, turning dish a quarter turn after 5 minutes.
Drain and cover with foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Serves 4.

Article Source: [www.articles.co.nz]
Recipe For Microwave Meatloaf
By: Donna Rivera-Loudon

Many people hesitate to cook meat in the microwave. However, if done correctly it works fine. It is nice in the summer so you don't have to turn on your hot oven. I recommend using a silicone loaf form to make the meatloaf in the microwave. You can purchase a silicone loaf pan in specialty cooking stores. You may also find one at a Department Store such as Mervyns. Silicone is a nice way to go because they are very easy to clean. All you have to do is turn them inside-out to get all the leftovers that store themselves in the corners of your loaf pan. Another thing I like about silicone pans is you can fold them up for easy storage. Hence, they work great if you have limited cabinet space. If you are unable to locate a silicone loaf pan, or simply don't want to purchase one, you can try a glass loaf pan. My only complaint with glass loaf pans is that they tend to dry the meatloaf a little.

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine ground beef, 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce, onion, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir until well blended. Press mixture into microwaveable loaf pan. Spread remaining barbeque sauce over mixture.

Microwave on high 5 minutes; rotate 1/4 turn. Microwave an additional 5 minutes; rotate another 1/4 turn. If necessary, repeat until center is done.

Of course, meatloaf is only part of your meal, but it is the main item. You can also use your microwave for cooking potatoes and steaming vegetables. Use pre-made rolls so you won’t have to turn your oven on to make biscuits. These are just a couple of suggestions of what you can do to round out your meal once your meatloaf is cooked.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.