Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Anyone got any obsessions/collections related to cooking?

Posted by Jan 
Jan
Anyone got any obsessions/collections related to cooking?
October 02, 2008 06:00AM
My obsession is baking tins, any shape size etc, I collect them, that and cookbooks. If I see them in an op shop I snap them up. Only if I think I can use them of Course!! and of course I can always use them......just wondering if anyone else has cooking related collections (I also have glass jelly moulds). I've just written in my blog about my tin obsession if anyone wants to look........don't be afraid confess your obsession......Jan
Re: Anyone got any obsessions/collections related to cooking?
October 02, 2008 06:15AM
yes, I am obsessed with cook books, cupcake cases and cookie cutters!!!! smiling smiley
October 02, 2008 06:19AM
errr yup! I'm generally obsessed, books, old boncoware, all kitchenalia - although I have passed the point where I collect anything and everything (ok - apart from the old egg-beaters) and I have de-cluttered the miscellaneous category and only have a few choice pieces (ok - apart from the linen teatowels), and things that I use all the time (ok - apart from the vintage cookbooks).....err um

....p.s. Tammy - In case you were worried, your cookie cutters remain in my sight the whole time - they are not - I repeat not - in the back of a dusty cupboard and will be returned safely after my next batch!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2008 06:22AM by lynley.
October 02, 2008 07:04AM
oh Lynley, I am not worried at all!!!

I would like to start a vintage cook book collection - I have two that wonderful Lynley sent me and two of my Nana's which i treasure as it has her hand written notes in it "Good for a Party", "keeps well" "Try this!" etc smiling smiley I am going to start scouting round the op shops!!!
October 02, 2008 07:30AM
Well sort of.
I have an entire wall of bookshelves set aside for cookery books.

I also started collecting Cow salt and peppers and now have a complete welsh dresser full of cow gadgets and crockery as well.I have informed the family no more are allowed.grinning smiley
October 02, 2008 10:19AM
Hi
I love preowned cookbooks as well. Every op shop i pass i have to go in and have a look to see if there is one that i have not got you never know you may come across a real gem.
I also love kitchen applicanes you name i probably have it with every intention of using them all.

cheers
carolyn
October 03, 2008 02:15AM
I forgot to mention my obsession with tea towels. I love the pretty designs you can get these days. I have been buying tea towels for my new house for the past 12 months!
October 03, 2008 05:50AM
i also forgot an obession which my teenage son so kindly reminded me of my love of old and new serving dishes never can have to many
October 03, 2008 09:41AM
I can totally live without cookbooks, I source most of my recipes from the internet or my mothers vast collection of books. However, I have 107 cake tins, muffin trays, patty tins, novelty tins, trays, pans, flan tins etc etc etc. I only know how many because I counted them a few weeks back when I was re-sorting them in the big plastic tubs they all live in. I have a small OCD issue with having to have the "right" tin for whatever I'm making ::blush:: That issue also extends to kitchen tools, particularly of the baking variety - I'm not your typical kiwi in that I don't like to improvise, at least when it comes to cooking that is. Like Tammy, I also have a thing for cookie cutters (and pancake molds - which also make great large size cutters). Pretty much any baking related paraphernalia, really!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 09:42AM by Jenna.
October 03, 2008 11:15PM
I LOVE nice bowls and platters - tending towards the larger size. I have a second pantry that has shelves groaning and bending with the weight of my dishes..all shapes and all sizes (hard to get them stacked safely sometimes!)- just the right size for what ever size group I might have for a meal.
To me the prepared food has to look well presented and even the colour has to match or compliment the food if at all possible. One of my favourites is a semi-clear vivid blue smallish bowl that looks fantastic with strawberries and icing sugar in. Of course my white bowls & plates are very uselful!!
I too love the gorgeous colourd tea towels you can by these days but as we have a dishwasher we dont have a great need for too many, but I do buy them for gifts.
October 04, 2008 11:01AM
it's good to see I'm in good company. I worked in libraries and what a source for old cookbooks from donated collections -- and most were not suitable, mainly because of duplication, age and/or condition. I spend a year reading cookbooks from the '30's and then into the war years. Amazing creativity in such frugal times. So yes, mine was old cookbooks, the oldest I have is circa 1927 and I have about 400 in my collection. I have stopped collecting books and have slowed down in the kitchen dept, suffice to say, my cupboards are bulging with cake tins, platters and china. I never thought about cookie cutters before though.
October 06, 2008 06:52AM
Not sure if it counts but my biggest food related obsession is food bearing or edible plants.
I have a huge collection of rare and largely impracticle fruit trees, berries, herbs and bushes. Good help me if they all survive to maturity. Pride of my collection are Vanilla orchids, Soursop and Capers. Its a true folly though as only the capers actually produce anything. Its miracle enough that the soursops survived winter. I have a number of others on probation.
October 06, 2008 08:56PM
and mine may not be relevant, but is a cross over obsession. As anyone that has been here and knows me, elephants are my obsession. Well that has crossed over into the kitchen.. firstly an elephant clock (cool one actually from Italy), Then 2 elephant teapots (one from PNG, thanks Lynette, and one from an antique shop in South Island - and not only the body is an elephant, but so is the lid - that was an awesome find), then this really cool little silver elephant cocktail stick holder with the cocktail sticks with elephants on the end (too cool to use), elephant oven mitt, elephant salad servers, elephant salt & pepper shakers (2 sets) a Christopher Vine painted elephant serving plate & pie cum quiche dish, elephant coffee mugs and place mats.

All sourced locally and on my travels.. an elephant cake tin or cookie cutters would be cool, but I am trying to cut down on my addiction smiling smiley
October 06, 2008 10:31PM
Hey Irene...Yooo HOooooooOO..
You know how you keep mentioning about the size of your ears???????
You might be related to them, (I mean to your ears) hence this obsession. smiling smiley smiling smiley oops, I just fell over larfing.

I also notice that people with nice big ears -- and I'm a fan of nice big ears, prefer the warmer weather, (flap flap) while people with little piggy ears prefer the colder. I might do a thesis on this if I ever go to university.

Scusie, I need to wipe my eyes. smiling smiley smiling smiley
October 07, 2008 09:49PM
Oh, Irene, why cut down on a harmless 'fetish' that brings you so much pleasure! Keep collecting, you never know when you might find that absolute treasure. My mum used to have a little red bean, kidney-bean shaped but a bit smaller than that, which had been hollowed out from the inside curve and had a little ivory plug made to fit the hole. Inside was a perfectly carved, tiny ivory elephant. You would have loved it. I think my sister has custody of it now.
October 07, 2008 10:23PM
Lorna, if you saw all the elephants in and outside of this house...you would understand why I need to cut down. But I was really good in the weekend, saw one at Palmers Garden Centre, but he didn't make the cut, and I managed to look and even pick him up and say no smiling smiley But saying no, almost lead to cold sweats and a fevered brow. I had to console myself with tomato plants, chillies, flat leaf parsley and capsicums instead.

And Kerry... when I am approaching, I look like an old Austin A7 with the doors wide open... not an elephant thank you grinning smiley
October 08, 2008 12:14AM
Hi pleased to see another kitchenalia addict. I like Jelly Moulds,lemon squeezers,old tins of NZ Companies still in existence. I am looking for an old Milo Tin . Also love quality S and P shakers and coffee makers. Denby and Lovatt pottery and most of all I started collecting jugs of all sizes. My lovely husband has made me many shelves as you can imagine.
October 08, 2008 12:43AM
Just recipe books and more recipe books for me.....
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.