Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

really good corn fritter recipe.....

Posted by helen 
really good corn fritter recipe.....
January 22, 2009 01:57AM
Has anyone got a great corn fritter recipe that they would like to share?
I made some last week but they were less than average - maybe I put in too much corn.
Re: really good corn fritter recipe.....
January 22, 2009 03:53AM
Ah well, these are really rather odd (I invented them) and I don't even know if I would like them any more as I haven't had them for ages but when I did invent them I had quite a run on them, enjoying them, so to speak (then the marmalade ran out). So, I'm promising nothing but if anyone wants to try these.....you could post some feedback ('feedback' suddenly sounds like a word for vomiting) as to whether you thought they were hideous or quite tasty, etc. You can cook them in whatever pan you want and however much oil/butter you wish - the cooking instructions are to myself smiling smiley

J1's Sweetcorn Fritters
Invented: January 2007
Makes: 10-12 fritters

200g Wattie’s Super Sweet corn kernels (frozen – thaw first if possible or egg will stick)
2 eggs – add yolks (will stick if kernels are frozen), beat egg whites and then add them as well
½ onion
½ tspn salt
50g cheddar cheese, grated
zest of 2 oranges (optional)
4 tbspns plain white flour
2 heaped tbspns marmalade

Thaw corn kernels first, if at all possible. Cook in 1 tspn NZ olive oil/1 tspn butter combination , 5 minutes each side, in electric frypan on 5-6 setting.
January 22, 2009 05:12AM
Hi Helen

I have taken to making mine with a Wheat & Gluten free pancake mixture which is readily available and they come out so light and tasty. I add chopped coriander into them and some sweet chilli sauce. I have Jo Seager one that separates the eggs and uses grated courgette in them but found them a bit gluggy after using this recipe.

* 300 – 400g sweetcorn kernels, lightly cooked or thawed in microwave if frozen
* 2 eggs (size 7)
* 1/2 cup Gluten Free Goodies Pikelet and Waffle Mix
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Gluten Free Goodies Baking Powder
* 50g grated tasty cheese
* salt and pepper to taste

Whisk eggs, salt and pepper

Add flour and baking powder and whisk thoroughly.

Add sweetcorn and cheese and blend well

Cook in a mixture of 25g butter plus a few tablespoons of cooking oil, or in pure vegetable oil if
preferred, until well risen and browned on both sides.

Cheeers

Helen B.
January 22, 2009 07:37AM
Hubby makes some really nice ones.

He uses the Edmonds cook book recipe, but adds, bacon and onion..another tip I have heard is to whip the egg white up then fold it in...
January 22, 2009 08:04AM
I only ever use the Digby Laws recipe. I used to make it overseas and gathered an impressive fan club. That may well have been attributable to the corn-corn dance I did before serving them to be fair.
His way, they taste like corn fritters, or flitters, as he called them. I have tried them adding chillie sauce but why? Chillie sauce is lovely but I don't think it has a place in something as mouth mumblingly delicate as a corn flitter. Ferinstints...you can no longer taste that delicate corn flavour. I wouldn't do it to a white bait fritter either but many do. But, some finely diced green capsicum carries a note of corn when added. Red doesn't.

Since the advent of the new tinned creamed corn which is quite ghastly, I now use a combination of that (should make my own but would lose the tinned flavour which is additive) and grated fresh raw if I have it or chuck in some frozen thawed whole kernels attacked mercilessly with my knife, or scraped off the corn cob and treated similarly. Bacon is nice alongside but I think as an addition, it destroys the flavour of the corn fritter, rather than enhance.
Fried tomatoes alongside are traditional and can't be beat in my 'umble opinion.

January 22, 2009 10:45AM
Hi Helen,
After trial and error of several corn fritter recipes over the years, I have found the batter to be so important and Annabel Langbein's recipe is the best - well I think so.
Unfortunately not at home at present with my recipes but you should be able to track it down, I do remember it has soda water in it.
Best of luck
JudyC
January 22, 2009 08:50PM
Our favourite which is lovely and tender is Jo Seagar's, but it's not the recipe Helen B refers to with zucchini.

The recipe I refer to has beaten egg whites folded gently into the corn mixture and I think that makes for a tender fritter as long as the air is not bashed out of the beaten egg whites when mixed through the corn mixture.
Regards,
Dawn.
January 22, 2009 09:54PM
I'm amazed that no one has commented: 'Marmalade, Jennifer1?' It is so odd that I am tempted to try it!
Mine are not a recipe just a bit of this that and the other, sometimes greeted with: 'Those are SO good!' Sometimes with: 'Those aren't as good as last time.' Which suggests, doesn't it, that one should write down what one does on the 'SO good' occasions. Fresh corn sliced off the cob (2) is best and the last SO good ones had lightly squeezed out grated zucchini in as well. 2 free range eggs. Some (half a cup?) flour. Seasoning. No liquid needed as the zucchini still leaches some. Such good food for small grand children who blow on them straight out of the pan until cool enough to yum them down.
January 22, 2009 10:26PM
Helen Bell - haven heard of the gluten free Goodies products. Do you get them at supermarket or health food shop. I am in Christchurch and if anyone has seen them here would be interested to find out where. Love corn fritters and as I am gluten free your recipe sounds a lot better than the soggy morsels I have been making lately.
January 22, 2009 11:44PM
Hi Tinks

Here is the link to this lovely lady. She lives here in Hamilton and I frequently buy from her as my sons partner is wheat & gluten intolerant. I made a spinach pie recently and told no one but Kate that it was gluten free pastry. The pie disappeared pronto and everyone commented on the crisp crust of the pie. She has a great stock of baking bits and cookie and cake mixtures as well. There are quite a few stockists in Chch of her product.

[www.glutenfreegoodies.co.nz]

Enjoy

Helen B.
January 23, 2009 12:25AM
I agree with Judy, I think Annabel Langbein has the nicest recipe for fritters. In my humble opinion its the adding of soda water that makes difference from others I've tried.

Regards
Sharon

As a parent, it is not what you give your children that builds their character but what you allow them to give you
Author Unknown
January 23, 2009 05:21AM
Thanks Helen - am looking forward to trying their product. Their bread looks good, have you tried it. Still looking for a good gluten free bread.
Tks again.
February 04, 2009 03:19AM
HI TInks

Have just caught up with Foodloves after a few days and found this message - Marx Bakery in Auckland - (I know you are down south) make the best gluten free bread and I have mine couriered to Hamilton but do know that they ship around the country side so have a check. They also make English muffins, bagels, croissants as well as several different types of bread.

Helen B.
February 04, 2009 04:37AM
Thanks Helen, will look into it.
February 07, 2009 04:00AM
Hi all,

would anyone happen to have Annabel Langbein's fritter recipe on hand? I can't find it anywhere and want to make corn fritters for dinner tonight!

Thanks.
February 07, 2009 04:00AM
Hi all,

would anyone happen to have Annabel Langbein's fritter recipe on hand? I can't find it anywhere and want to make corn fritters for dinner tonight!

Thanks.
February 07, 2009 09:01AM
Sorry Trinaloup, too late for tonight's dinner, but for future reference I checked out my "The Best of Annabel Langbein". and found a basic fritter recipe which has soda water in it as Judy mentioned and variations of flavours to add including corn and feta, chilli mussel, smoked fish, courgette pesto and coconut fish. Maybe this is a new variation of her original corn fritter recipe. All sound very yummy and I'll certainly be trying them. If you'd like this recipe I'll PM it.
Cheers
Colleen
February 11, 2009 12:11AM
Hi ColleenD

Would love the recipe as well - have grandchildren who love sweetcorn so always looking for something different.
Many thanks
Ailsa
February 11, 2009 10:53AM
Solrry I missed your posting Trinaloupe, thanks Colleen for sorting it. Yes recipe is the same basic one and makes enough corn fritters to feed an army. Also good for other fritters. Enjoy and let's know how you get on too Ailsa

Regards, Judy
February 11, 2009 11:12AM
I know I've already praised Jo Seagar's recipe on this thread, but since then my sister made Annabel Langbein's recipe when we visited her recently - and they were beautiful fritters, so I've come home armed with Annabel's recipe too and have made it. It is so versatile and easy to put together. Yum!
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
May 23, 2009 10:42AM
I often eat corn fritters in cafes. I had one the other day that had a different texture than normal (kind of like a cross between a fritter and a savoury muffin), with bacon, capsicum bits, etc in it, and it was very nice (ignoring the chilli sauce that automatically comes with corn fritters these days). I went home, got my latest corn fritter recipe out (the marmalade one, ha ha) and my savoury muffin recipe, looked at them, and then threw some things in a bowl. I surprised myself. Not only were they very tasty, they looked nice, they showed absolutely no tendancy to stick to the pan (I don't use non-stick pans), they held together beautifully, and they browned beautifully.

I realise there are countless corn fritter recipes out there already but in case anyone wants another one to try, here it is:

J1's Sweetcorn Fritters
½ cup flour
1 tspn baking powder
¼ cup milk
2 eggs, separated
200g corn kernels (if using frozen, thaw first)
3 bacon strips, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
½ red capsicum, finely chopped

Put flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add milk and 2 egg yolks. Stir thoroughly to mix (mixture will be gluggy – ignore). Add corn, bacon, onion and capsicum; stir to mix. Add two beaten egg whites and stir to combine. Put a good squirt of rice bran oil into your electric frypan (setting on a medium heat, e.g. No.6) and cook large spoonfuls of mixture about 5 minutes each side. Makes 8 large fritters.
Note: I used Freedom Farms streaky bacon strips which I believe are the nicest bacon I have found so far.
I have just posted my recipe for corn fritters on my blog here [couscous-consciousness.blogspot.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.