Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Decent cocoa

Posted by Zeetra 
Re: Decent cocoa
July 02, 2009 02:23AM
Next time I buy my chocolate I am going to have a really good read of the packets.

Maybe focus groups or surveys have been completed that have determined these results but it does smack of multinationals trying to save money and cut costs, not really trying to look after the customer. I don't have an issue with the changed size as long as it not done by stealth, but do object to changes in quality of product.

Living in Australia and England their Cadbury's chocolates were not as creamy as in NZ and I suspect that ours may end up the same.

It just shows that there is no point being blindly loyal to a brand, and that you need to keep your wits about you when shopping. Very annoying as most of us don't read the packet/size etc on each occasion we purchase but less frequently than that.
July 02, 2009 02:27AM
[choclovers.org] Had a friend forward this to me, dishes all the dirt!
July 02, 2009 03:18AM
this recipe is worth a go. Best chocolate cake and easy to make. No cocoa required if you use hazelnut spread.

HAZELNUT SPREAD CHOCOLATE CAKE

6 eggs separated 140 grams ground almonds
1 tablespoon rum or water 400 gram jar Pams chocolate hazelnut spread
125 grams butter Vanilla essence
Pinch of salt 100 grams dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 180’C. Line a standard cake tin with baking paper on base and sides. If you don’t have baking paper ensure you grease the paper too.
Whisk the eggs whites until stiff but not dry.
In a separate bowl, soften butter and cream with the chocolate hazelnut spread. Add vanilla, egg yolks and ground almonds.

Fold in melted chocolate.
Gently fold in whisked egg whites – one third at a time.
Gently pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 50mins – 1 hour. To check if cooked use the skewer method.
Cool in cake pan for 10 mins and then turn out onto cooling rack or platter.
When cool can ice with ganache or serve as is with berries and whipped cream.

July 02, 2009 09:15AM
I did a baking test of Trade Aid, Blooker and Valrhona cocoa. You can see the results here: [www.thekitchengarden.co.nz]
Anonymous User
July 03, 2009 03:41AM
It is my understanding that the difference between chocolate and compound chocolate (commonly sold as melts) is the addition of vegetable fats (amongst other things.). If I am correct in this, then Cadbury are no longer selling real chocolate?
July 03, 2009 09:24AM
I dont think Cadbury products are any where near as superior as they used to be many moons ago. There are plenty of other choc producers out there now.
July 03, 2009 10:53PM
via Twitter.... there is a petition re addition of Palm Oil circulating via Facebook and/or Twitter, below are twitter comments:

UK Facebook campaign prompts Cadbury to bring back 'Wispa' bars: [bit.ly] - If they can do it, we can do it!

UPDATE: 325 people signed petition, 1,351 on Facebook (4 groups) and 138 have tweeted. Wow, keep it up guys! - [choclovers.org]
July 20, 2009 05:53AM
Well, I finally ran out of my Cadbury's cocoa powder, thank goodness! And I bought a box of the Home Brand one and see it's actually made in Germany! Different. But boy, the smell and flavour were just as I remembered Cadbury's used to be.

I made Helen's Chocolate Weetbix Slice and that was a huge hit. I'll definitely be making that more often now.

You know, I was wondering if we should have sent this whole post off to Close Up as I see there was article on there last week that went on about Cadbury's vs Whittakers. I know it was about chocolate but this post has also been about chocolate as well as the powder.

A thought anyway.
July 20, 2009 08:06AM
Go on -- do it.
I am not aware that the cocoa debate has spread to TV land yet, everyone's been focussing on the chocolate.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.