Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Old recipe for Sweetcorn Fritters using Cream Style corn

Posted by bluetiger 
Old recipe for Sweetcorn Fritters using Cream Style corn
September 06, 2009 08:20AM
Many moons and light years ago, Watties used to print a recipe for Sweetcorn Fritters on the paper wrapper of their cream style corn tin. I lost mine and am just hoping that someone here might still have it. It has hardly any flour ... or a lot less than the usual 1 cup of flour that is suggested often. It is not on their Watties website and there seems to be no place on Google that it has been recorded.
OK - many thanks if you can help me here.
Re: Old recipe for Sweetcorn Fritters using Cream Style corn
September 06, 2009 09:14AM
Does this sound like the recipe? Problem is I cannot guarantee it's the Watties sweetcorn fritter recipe:

Sweet corn fritters
1x 410gm Can of Cream style Sweet corn
1 egg Beaten
3 Tbspn Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
½ Tbspn Baking Powder
Combine the sweet corn, Egg beaten, Salt & Pepper. Sift in flour Baking Powder. Gradually stir well. Cook in tablespoon size fitters. Fry in Butter or oil until Golden Brown & serve.

Regards,
Dawn.

September 06, 2009 09:22AM
Ohhhh Dawn,
What a darling you are ... something about 3 tablespoons of flour was stuck in my head at a very subliminal level ... and as soon as I saw the recipe, all the memoires of making the mix as a teenager came flying back. Thank you so so much. I was staring in the pantry right now and thinking glum thoughts and now I'm away laughing. Will make them immediately. This is the exact recipe without a doubt.
September 06, 2009 09:30AM
Hi - just checking ... it is half a tablespoon of baking powder, yes? smiling smiley
September 06, 2009 09:46AM
Yes, it equates to 1 1/2 teaspoons BP. Glad you're very-very happy! If we didn't have left-overs to use up from our family Father's Day gathering in this house today - sweetcorn fritters would have totally fitted the bill for us too! Maybe next Sunday for us. Hope your's cook up every bit as successfully as you remember them from the past Bluetiger. Pleasure to help and hope this isn't too late to reassure you!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 09:47AM by Dawn.
September 06, 2009 11:26AM
Yes, that's the recipe I remember as well. And just for a change try replacing the sweet corn with a can of spaghetti. I love spaghetti fritters even more than corn fritters. Yum!
September 06, 2009 12:53PM
Well I'm just reporting in after a sumptuous Sunday supper of 3 sweetcorn fritters with Tonkatsu sauce on the side, accompanied by a small glass of shiraz. I only had a 300gm tin of cream style corn so used a 1/4 tsp less of baking powder. I fried them in a combination of half and half of Grove 'Avocado Oil infused with Lime' and Rice Bran Oil spread - mainly because I didn't have any other oil - plus added 10 leaves of finely chopped fresh sage. What a delight - they rose but kept a firm shape. It was a joyful supper. Thank you Dawn. And I will try the spaghetti ones next Sunday - with fresh oregano smiling smiley - thanks for that suggestion Colleen.
September 06, 2009 10:57PM
Mmmmm sounds yummy Bluetiger, glad they went well, and if I hadn't already had my breakfast I'd be very tempted to make us some sweetcorn fritters - hot and homely - it's cold and a frost outside and now the fog has come down in a thick blanket which gives the feeling of being 'all swallowed up'!
Regards,
Dawn.

September 07, 2009 07:08AM
ya know, I don't wanna be a know all but um, that's what I do anyway. Oh yeah,half a cup of tasty grated cheese in the mix too and cook normally. Top with a rasher of bacon. I swear to god it blows yer mind.

c u

I'm not a bossy person. I just know what everyone should be doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 07:10AM by canids.
September 07, 2009 11:12PM
I love chopped up pre-cooked bacon in my sweetcorn fritters. Gives them a taste of luxury.
You could substitute the corn for mussels and chopped up onion.
O M G The best corn fritter recipe in the world. thank you very much
June 25, 2013 06:40AM
Hello FoodLovers,

What other things would you add to a corn fritter recipe i.e. capsicum or feta etc?

Kind regards,
Kathie
June 25, 2013 07:51AM
I like to add some grated tasty cheese, chopped coriander and some finely chopped fresh red chilli. Serve with lime wedges.
J1
June 25, 2013 09:18AM
I've added onion, bacon, capsicum, fresh herbs, cheese....... I've also added marmalade (2 tbspns) which was surprisingly nice.
Great recipe. Brings back memorie of making them when they were still on the Koo cans.
I just made them tonight and I put chives in them. Yum. My partner came home and he told me that he had just had corn fitters and salad for lunch from a cafe, but said mine where far more tastier. Nice. I think a lot of recipes just use too much flour.
J1
September 02, 2013 11:25PM
I agree about the comment re too much flour.

I stopped using canned creamed corn because the quality's so poor these days. If you can use your own sweetcorn from your garden, or fresh cobs from the supermarket, that makes a supremely tasty fritter. You can also still use canned creamed corn but try adding extra corn kernels - fresh if possible, supermarket frozen ones if necessary.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.