Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Uses for plain yoghurt

Posted by cantabcook 
Uses for plain yoghurt
April 05, 2010 08:20PM
I bought a one litre container of plain yogurt the other day guessing it was one of the ingredients in a salad I planned to make and didn't yet have the recipe for. I guessed wrong and now have to find new ways to use it up. About the only thing I use yoghurt for is for breakfast on my cereal (but flavoured varieties).

Does anyone have any ideas how I could use it up please?
Re: Uses for plain yoghurt
April 05, 2010 08:54PM
Sprinkle over some brown sugar, and leave for a few hours for it to go all goey. Its lovely, spooned over fruit for dessert.
April 05, 2010 08:55PM
Cakes, muffins, frozen yoghurt, curry, tzatziki, dips, quiche, lassi, sauces - I use it regularly and always have a tub in my fridge.
April 05, 2010 09:03PM
If you make scones, use it half and half with milk, it's a bit like using buttermilk. Makes a much lighter product.
At room temperature it can be used as a facial to smooth and tighten. Leave on for about 20 minutes then rins off.
jen
April 05, 2010 10:12PM
I prefer plain yoghurt on baked potatoes/wedges etc rather than sour cream. I have used it as a base in peanut satay (with squid).
jen
April 06, 2010 06:48AM
All of the above and when the hole left behind after spooning some out fills with whey, carefully spoon or pour that out and use in sauces, soups and as part of the liquid in any baking, especially bread (or just stir it back in).

Here's a novel use for yoghurt that might be past its use by date: paint it onto outdoor garden ornaments (terracotta or unpainted cement ones) and they will quickly take on an old, weathered look.
J1
April 06, 2010 06:48AM
Similar to Linda's suggestion; it's lovely with some genuine (e.g. Queen or O'Canada) (NOT Steeves which has added sugar but packages and prices itself as though it didn't) maple syrup stirred through - about 1 tbspn per 150g of yoghurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 06:49AM by J1.
April 06, 2010 09:32AM
Thanks all. I had no idea the humble old yoghurt was so versatile.
Marnie, as for your wee gem about yoghurt in scones I tried some this morning. Last time I made scones the kids turned their noses up and they were fairly average to be fair. Todays ones with yoghurt had a completely different texture, really light and VERY moreish (I've already scoffed two and am now avoiding the kitchen for fear of eating the lot). The kids both asked for seconds and are now demolishing their second scone each too. I'm now thinking I might try the ABin5 buttermilk bread recipe with yoghurt instead.
April 06, 2010 02:50AM
We use it in bread instead of milk - I think it is nice but Lucy is not so keen, she asks is this proper bread before she eats it. smiling smiley
My butter chicken recipe uses it as part of the marinade for the chicken.
You can add a teaspoon of salt and strain it for 24 hours to make labneh (add some olive oil once it is strained) - very yummy Lebanese almost cream cheese like spread. Eat it with bread etc.
You can always make it sweet, flavoured yoghurt for your breakfast by adding some jam - especially if it is good homemade chunky fruity stuff - or honey.

- Fiona
Summerfieldsfoods.co.nz
April 06, 2010 09:36PM
Grate some cucumber into a clean dish cloth and remove excess liquid, then add to plain yoghurt, with a little salt and garlic, leave in fridge for 1/2+. Lovely as a dip or with spicy curries.
April 07, 2010 12:54PM
hi cantabcook
i would have used it as starter to make more yoghurt! *g* ...drain over night and make cheesecake from the solid stuff and bread/pizza with the whey.
or mix with feta and herbes to get a nice spread/dip (served with fresh bread and spicy olives. YUM! *g* i filled some pasta with this stuff last week. THAT was really good.)

but plain yoghurt mixed with homemade jam is still the number one for my kids. winking smiley
April 08, 2010 01:10AM
Hi Stella,
This is probably a dumb question, but what does the *g* stand for?
April 08, 2010 01:28AM
I think it's a face? *g* I like it - I think of a Koala's face when I see it!

Sometimes I do one *d* or (*d*) when I'm in silly mode - it's an abreviation of my postings name "Dawn"!
Regards,
Dawn *d*
April 08, 2010 02:59AM
Ohhh, I see! Thanks, Dawn. When I read your posting I had another look, but I couldn't see a koala's face or any kind of face, but then I squinted my eyes at it, and voila! a koila! Sorry, koala!
April 08, 2010 01:16PM
hi mommamurf & dawn,
hehe. it's no koala! it's an ACRONYME!
we used it in the chat 'when i was young'. never really grew out of this. winking smiley

[www.acronymfinder.com]
April 08, 2010 02:02PM
OK, fess up. How many of you squinted at the screen too to see the koala? I DID, but it looked just like two eyes a round nose and a smiley mouth to me. *g* Thanks for clearing that up stella (I had wondered what it meant too).
April 08, 2010 02:11PM
smiling smiley I did squint at the *g*. I should have remembered that before all the emotes we now have on the internet, that *S* was often used for smile or smiles.
April 08, 2010 09:52PM
*g* means grin in instant message language. An acronym is a word made up of the initial letters of a phrase such as MADD = Mothers Against Drunk Driving or Radar = RAdio Detection And Ranging. There is a whole list of 'codes' that will bring up smilies or emoticons, such as : beside a capital d will make a laughing face grinning smiley or : beside ( will make a frowning face sad smiley. Here is one of many such lists here: [www.sharpened.net]
Back in the 'old' days, these letters appeared just as they were typed but some clever programmers made it so that instant messaging, and later some forums and email programmes, would turn some of these codes into actual 'cartoons' when typed.
April 08, 2010 11:37PM
Hehe Stella - Thanks for the explanation - I can still see the *g* as Koala's face which warms the cockles of me heart and he willl probably never turn into an acrynome for me! It just goes to show I have a broad imagination eh and I reckon I'm just one of those old "ole fashioned gals" who's not up to the play with chat and instant messaging as such!
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.