Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Limes

Posted by JudyC 
Limes
June 07, 2010 01:18AM
I have been given a large bag of fresh limes, am I able to make lime honey or lime curd, I am not too sure about it. Any ideas would be appreciated
Judy
Re: Limes
June 07, 2010 06:55AM
Lime pickle is nice with curries at this time of the year.
Lime cordial nice also but maybe not for this weather.
I have frozen mine but havent used them yet so cant say how successful that was.
Candied lime slices would also be nice I would imagine.
June 07, 2010 09:03AM
I love lemons & limes, but find that lime curd can have a bit of an unpleasant after taste - not entirely sure why that is. I've often been tempted to make a lime or lemon/lime marmalade, but just haven't got around to it yet!

Key lime pie (doesn't matter that they're not key limes) is delicious, as is lime cheesecake.

If you still have a lot left, just freeze the juice for use at another time. Previously I froze juice in ice cube trays and then into bags, but this year I'm using the Glad ice cube bags in an attempt to minimize freezer shrinkage and general deterioration of the juice cubes. The bags hold 1.5 cups of liquid, which was what a 1kg bag of small limes produced for me last week smiling smiley

Hope you enjoy them!
June 07, 2010 10:20PM
I think lime curd is superior to lemon curd and if I have a few spare limes that's what I do with them. If I have a lot of limes that I think will perish before I get to use them, I finely grate off the zest, dry it and keep it in a jar for future use. The juice gets squeezed and frozen into ice cubes then put in an ice cream container.
June 08, 2010 12:09AM
Thanks everyone, have actually sliced several and frozen the slices. Just might try the lime honey/curd and see how that goes.
June 08, 2010 11:37PM
Judy, just make sure you use a stainless steel saucepan for cooking your lime curd. Being acidic, if you use aluminium, it will have a metallic taste.
June 09, 2010 01:55AM
Oh, I have a set of the original Electrobase saucepans, they will not wear out, don't suppose they are any good. Will borrow one from my daughter.
Thanks Lorna.
Will let you know when I have made some, probably weekend or nxt week.
Judy
June 09, 2010 09:48AM
Judy, use a microwave!
June 09, 2010 09:40PM
Stephanie, I would have thought that with the high proportion of eggs, the mixture would need stirring all the time otherwise you'd have sweet lime scrambled egg, wouldn't you? Has anyone else made lime/lemon curd in the microwave? I do know someone who tried it in the crockpot and it turned out a very unappetising grey colour! There must have been something in the crockpot to start with, is my theory.
June 09, 2010 09:45PM
I always make my lemon honey in the microwave. You need to whisk it a couple of times while it's cooking but it comes out fine - no scrambled egg.
June 09, 2010 10:35PM
Lorna, if there is a way of doing things in the microwave I will find it. Less power,quicker and easier cleaning.
June 09, 2010 10:56PM
I always use the microwave for lemon curd or egg custards (see Portuguese Custard Tarts) in fact sauces and defrosting and asparagus and corn are my microwave's repertoire. And 'par boiling' potatoes. Perhaps this should be another thread!
June 10, 2010 10:51PM
Must give it a go in the microwave, I've just been given a bag of limes.
June 11, 2010 12:40AM
No doubt about you people, to me a boring question brings interesting answers. So do I make the same recipe I would normally make in the microwave or is there a different recipe??
June 11, 2010 06:57AM
JudyC I will PM you tomorrow, don't have time right now.
June 11, 2010 08:19AM
Much appreciated Stephanie....
June 15, 2010 04:18AM
Stephanie thanks for lime/lemon honey recipe for microwave, it is now in little jars ready for use. Must admit I was a wee bit dubious but it was a breeze - am now converted to micro for lemon honey.
Thanks to everyone else too, your comments are always valuable
Judy
June 20, 2010 08:20AM
I have a fantastic lime tart recipe. It uses about 10 limes, condensed milk, and egg yolks. It is very quick and easy to make, and always popular. If you want the recipe, send me a personal message.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.