Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Calling all "Nelson-ites"

Posted by Jude 
Calling all "Nelson-ites"
February 08, 2004 09:00AM
We are thinking of going for the weekend to Nelson at the end of March and wondered about nice eating places and nice places to stay somewhere central.

Jude
Bev
Re: Calling all "Nelson-ites"
February 08, 2004 09:29AM
We love the "Smokehouse" restaurant at Mapua. No trip to Nelson would be complete without a visit there. The smoked fish is divine. If you get time too visit the Wearable Arts museum, very interesting, a great place to visit. We always stay at the Cedar Grove Motel, very handy and very nice units.grinning smiley
February 08, 2004 10:45AM
Hi Jude

I'd also recommend Flax Restaurant (at the other end of the Mapua Wharf from the Smokehouse) - it's brilliant - and if you go to the Nelson market on Saturday morning (a must) Cafe Yaza right on Montgomery Square where the market is held does lovely breakfasts. NIce places for lunch include Zest Deli and cafe in Church St, Morrison's St Cafe, and Broccoli Row. Broccoli Row is vegetarian and seafood only - and their salads and vegetable dishes are superb, with fresh local produce presented in interesting ways. If you want something unusual (probably unique) and you're going to be out on the Coastal Highway - try the Jester in Tasman for lunch. Enjoy your weekend!
February 08, 2004 10:52PM
Lambretta's Cafe in Nelson have won alot of awards. And I have only heard good things about themgrinning smiley
February 09, 2004 12:33AM
Broccoli Row is great - when I worked nearby I used to go there for lunch - their SLAT (smoked salmon, lettuce, avocado, tomato, cream cheese on their awesome foccacia bread) was hard to go past!

The Grape Escape (out in Appleby) has really nice food too and on a nice sunny day you can sit outside and see the Richmond Hills.

Soooooooo many other places - you are making me homesick for Nelson!
Flax restaurant (as Karen also said) is a must. Some friends ate there recently and raved about it. I also read a very good restaurant review about it.
February 09, 2004 11:21AM
I live here and definitely all of the above. You will love the Saturday morning market, all the eating places at Mapua (includes the Smokehouse and Flax), the Jesters House is really unique (they feed you and you can feed the eels!), the Wearable Arts (and cars) museum is WOW and Broccolli Row (I used to go there for lunch when I worked right in Nelson too). There are lots of other great places and all the vineyard/cafes/restaurants around Nelson. You'll have a great time, we recently rented our house to Auckland and Christchurch couples (women were sisters) and they said that had a great time.
February 09, 2004 11:31AM
Ooh, oooh, almost forgot about the Honest Lawyer at Monaco near Tahunanui. The building is great as is the interior and the food aint bad either!
February 09, 2004 08:25PM
My friend down that way runs a shop called "O'Neills fine foods" I've never been there - what's it like Tracey????
February 10, 2004 04:10AM
Lynley - that would be Fiona and Geoff? Shop is great - they know their stuff.
February 11, 2004 12:34AM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We have now changed our minds and are instead going to Whitianga!

Regards

Jude8)
February 11, 2004 10:39AM
Hopefully not because of our suggestions!!!
February 11, 2004 11:53AM
No.... Tracey

Baby sitters... plane tickets and hotel accommodation.... didn't quite match up to the times and dates! Thank you all for your kind suggestions. Truly noted!

Thanks

Judexx
February 11, 2004 11:59AM
Mind you theres a gret place in Whitianga to eat to.... by the 4 Square... cant remember the name (there's a fish & chip shop there too next to this cafe) soooo reasonable and you will leave after 2 courses feeling like you'll never eat again! Nice family atmosphere. The name will come to me eventually...... :/
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.