Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Dawn's 20 min chicken

Posted by Kone 
Dawn's 20 min chicken
January 28, 2011 07:40AM
I don't believe it. The blasted thing is cooked. Not only cooked but tender. The legs I can put my knife through as if they'd been cooking for hours and the wings are falling apart. I adhered to times religiously - ie: 8 + 8 + 4....God will not believe that and think someone else is Kone.
Righto: I did not use the bbq because honestly it is nasty out there and even though the bbq has a roof over it and sheltered from easters, westers and southers, it is no match for a fierce norther going every which way. SO. I used the electric frying pan.

I didn't use the Besser blocks but there were other bricky things out there I washed and covered with foil.

Warmed electric frying up to mid heat. Put the chicken in/on as prescribed, covered with butter paper and foil and four bricks.

Have no idea what it tastes like. I changed that a little from Dawn's recipe. I added a smidgeon of sesame oil, some garlic and a squirt of lime juice. All rubbed in.

I intend to serve it with fried potatoes, rice, peas and baby peppers and a cucumber raita. I know those bits will taste good and see no reason why my oops, Dawn's bird, shouldn't.

Y'all gotta try it.

I said mid heat, but that was to begin. After the first 8 mins had been completed and pan heated right up, I turned over bird and left it on high and it stayed there. Result is a gorgeous golden brown thingaumee eatumee please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 07:43AM by Kone.
Re: Dawn's 20 min chicken
January 28, 2011 08:29AM
I've hunted high and low for this recipe....either I'm searching in the wrong places or I'm just plain stupid! Can you please direct me?

Cheers

Gail E.
January 28, 2011 08:56AM
Here is the link Gail <au.lifestyle.yahoo.com>

Update. The chicken was tender. I asked Mister Mastah how many points out of 5 and he said 4. He earned a biff about the lughole...5/5. I asked why only 4 and he said because you will do better next time.
Honestly dear reader. I don't honetly honetsly ohsetlee think I could do better. I think it's time for a divorce. Why do men who have eaten in the finest restaurants for a few years expect wifey to cook as good as Chef Dooflicky?" His ex couldn't even hard boil an egg. Soiid boiling, the bluddy thing for 4 weeks, it wud still be runny. Nearly 40 years later and I'm still hanging in here. Something wrong with this story.
January 28, 2011 09:09AM
I hear ya Kone. Too bloody well fed these blokes. I'm thinkin' a week of overcreamated grisly sausages, cold lumpy mashed spuds and frozen peas boiled to the end of their dull grey coloured lives would help. Oh yeah, and gravy made out of a packet but with double the liquid in error........what...........old style of cookin not so bad after all huh????? A little appreciation would not go astray some days!
J1
January 28, 2011 10:11AM
I came across some quotes the other day, if they're of any help...

There are much easier things in life than finding a good man. Nailing Jell-O to a tree, for instance. ~Author Unknown

Did you hear about the baby born with organs of both @#$%&? It had a penis and a brain. ~Author Unknown

Three wise men - are you serious? ~Author Unknown

If they can put one man on the moon why can't they put them all there? ~Chocolate Waters

The only time a woman really succeeds in changing a man is when he is a baby. ~Natalie Wood

Men can read maps better than women. 'Cause only the male mind could conceive of one inch equaling a hundred miles. ~Roseanne Barr

PS Chicken sounds good.

January 28, 2011 02:03PM
Could not find that recipe on that site.......Could you possibly post a link or post the recipe on here?
January 28, 2011 02:42PM
Besser Block Chicken - Video clip: [au.lifestyle.yahoo.com]
January 29, 2011 02:13AM
Watched the video which was impressive. What sort of blocks did you use and did you use a lid?

January 29, 2011 02:28AM
One chicken and four edging blocks arranged along the top of the spatchcocked chicken - normal sized looking bricks with holes in them and each weighing 2.2kilos. I did not put a lid on the electric frying pan although I could have easily put the lid down on the bbq had I used that.
The chicken was well covered, first with butter paper tucked all around and then the foil and on top of the foil, the bricks.
It took just the 20 mins. No pink juices from the thighs. I was so surprised. It was tender enough to eat and certainly well cooked all the way through, but I wasn't ready with the rest of the meal, as I was initially sceptical, so it rested off the heat, but still in the pan with the bricks on top.
The chicken was a medium size.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 02:31AM by Kone.
January 31, 2011 06:35AM
Kone, (as we headed north in the wind and the rain on Friday night) I was thinking of you cooking your chicken on your BBQ and, I was thinking that even if it wasn't successful, at least your barby wouldn't get blown away with Besser bricks innit.

But 'tis nice to return home (in better weather) to find that you were much more ingenius, firstly for staying inside to cook (in such atrocious weather) and secondly for being such a resourceful cook and using an alternative brick to which an electric frypan would find very accommodating. Well done Kone! So pleased it was a success, well for you anyway, and I think the Captain only gave it 4 points out of 5 cos he was just plain jealous that he didn't think of cooking a chook that way. (Glad you didn't clip him around the lug with a brick though!)

Just tell him that we are thinking of doing the same take on sausages - 2 minute sausages. (That'll scare him!) Just need to think of suitable seasoning and a suitable weight. A brick may be just a bit too heavy.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 06:36AM by Dawn.
January 31, 2011 07:54AM
I'm going to try it on a butterflied leg of lamb next. Same cooking time should apply. This next bit will amuse you. HE was at HIS club next night and next day I received a phone call asking me how I cooked a wonderful chicken in 20 minutes as HE, was raving about it. Most tender, most moist blah blah blah.

I chopped mine up just like the video and served with lime wedges and there was just one little piece left which I had for my lunch next day and it was still moist. I don't know if it was leg or breast. The squashing bit seems to make all things equal.
January 31, 2011 08:10AM
Haha - that's very interesting (the Club bit)!

The butterflied lamb leg should be equally successful! Will await results when you do it.
D1.
January 31, 2011 08:38AM
Done,
We will need to take out a mortgage for a leg of lamb first. I may have to conjure up an important occasion as I am keen to try it. Could save on gas bills. It's a no brainer isn't it. Twenty minutes as opposed to ninety minutes, all because of a brick.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.