Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Russian Fudge

Posted by Zeetra 
Russian Fudge
March 26, 2011 12:34PM
Does anyone have a fool proof easy recipe for russian fudge?

This is something im not good at making but am willing to give it another go.

Thanks, Zeetra
Re: Russian Fudge
March 26, 2011 10:21PM
I remembered a previous discussion about Russian fudge so went looking for it to post the link. When I found it [www.foodlovers.co.nz] I discovered that it was you, Zeetra, who started the thread back in 2007. If you have already tried all the suggestions on that thread without success I'm at a loss to know what to suggest.
March 26, 2011 10:51PM
Maybe Zeetra lost details in her move.

Here are a couple of recipes you may like to consider.

GOLDEN FUDGE (I know it's not called Russian, but it still makes a good fudge and I am sure it's just Russian Fudge wearing sun glasses and a false beard)
Remembering your thread on cups/weights; hopefully you may have a measuring cup, they are not really expensive)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk (preferably full cream)
2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
1 dessertspoon butter
Boil all together for 15 minutes, stay with it, stirring with a wooden spoon often to make sure no burnt bottom.
Beat well and turn into cold buttered baking dish.

RUSSIAN TOFFEE it's not a hard
1 cup sugar
1 small tin sweetened condensed milk
1/4 lb butter (see how old this recipe is)
Melt sugar and butter, add condensed milk. Stir all the time to prevent burning. Cook about 1/4 hour; beat well, you can feel it getting thick. Pour into buttered dish to set.

March 27, 2011 11:22AM
Thanks Marnie.

I did a search in the recipes Penny but not in the forum thread, I completely forgot about to be honest or I wouldnt have asked again.
March 29, 2011 12:35PM
Zeetra, it is a notoriously hard thing to get right...good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 12:35PM by Maryloo.
March 30, 2011 02:25AM
I read through all the posts - and 39 week pregnant daughter and I tried to make Russian fudge yesterday - epic fail! as the kids say - I used the thermomix to process the raw sugar I had - but I couldn't get it to dissolve completely - gave up added the other ingredients - cooked untilo soft ball - whipped for 5 mins with handheld mixer - but THE FUDGE IS TOO GRAINY!

I have had the most amazing Russian fudge recently at Dida's Victoria Park - to die for! - hence the craving!

I sense a mission coming on.....I would buy sugar shares - the recipe I used had 675g!!!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
March 30, 2011 03:24AM
I prefer grainy fudge. Not at all keen on the smooth.
March 30, 2011 04:46AM
Yes I like a certain amount of graininess too. My sister gets it right every time - creamy but not cloggy. Mine tends to be a little too coarse. She always says that I cook mine too long and don't beat it long enough and I suspect she is correct.
March 30, 2011 05:39AM
Can you use a standing mixer to beat it with? Like suing the K beaters etc?
March 30, 2011 08:46AM
Do you have the microwave Alison Holst Fabulous Fudge? This never fails and I tend to microwave it until the colour turns a light tan colour. Then I use a handheld mixer for about 5 mins until it looses its glossiness and thickens. I can't post the recipe due to copyright but just google search Alison Holst Fabulous Fudge and the recipe is available there.
March 30, 2011 11:42AM
Thanks Clare, I will do that.
March 30, 2011 08:41PM
When I Google it, I get just 3 sites, one of which is this post on FL. Clare, will you please post the link. If it's already on the web, there's no reason you can't post the link to it.
March 30, 2011 09:17PM
Here it is Lorna. I'm a bit loathe to post the recipe in text as I suspect this person hasn't had permission to write it up. The only thing I would do is microwave it for another 2 mins or so, so that it slightly changes colour.

[restisnotidleness.blogspot.com]
March 31, 2011 12:16PM
I make the one Clare was talking about I made 100 tins of condensd milk last year for a fundraizing event,,, but do make sure you use the good brand of condensed milk, the other cheaper brands have water in them and the fudge will not set , I learnt the hard way
March 31, 2011 12:17PM
Oh no Jeanette!! Did nuke it longer than the 9 mins in total as well like me?

Clare
March 31, 2011 11:48PM
I ony micro wave for about 7 min , but the cheaper brand of condensed milk still left it very very soft not like it ought to be,
I have been making the other Jo Seager one with the 2x tins on milk, it very very good and much thicker, but 2x tins is just a bit much for me to use, but I think it makes a nice fudge
April 01, 2011 12:24AM
Try cooking for another two minutes and I think you will find it a lot better.
April 02, 2011 05:55AM
Thank you so much for the link to the ALison Holst recipe.

It is divine.. Super easy to make. I cooked mine for 8 minutes in the microwave, as its 1100watts. then I beat it on 3 in my standing mixer and in the last 30 seconds I tuerned it on full bore and it has come out super smooth and yummy.. I used Pams condensed milk too... I have put it in the fridge.
May 21, 2011 06:31AM
I make the Edmonds Recipe Book russian fudge and add the best part of a bottle of rum essence and some raisins - my "rum and raisin russian fudge". When I was really broke a few years ago I sold it at our local market for a nice profit.
June 06, 2011 10:35AM
Hi

Give this recipe a go, I use it regularly. To be really successful with fudge you need a candy thermometer. For this recipe I only take it to 118 degrees ...Good Luck

[www.chelsea.co.nz]

June 06, 2011 10:35AM
Hi

Give this recipe a go, I use it regularly. To be really successful with fudge you need a candy thermometer. For this recipe I only take it to 118 degrees ...Good Luck

[www.chelsea.co.nz]

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.