Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Great Dinner Spot Taupo?

Posted by lynley 
Great Dinner Spot Taupo?
March 20, 2012 11:57PM
Hi everyone - Simon and I like to get out of town every 3 months and we often go to Taupo book into Baycrest, go for walks and then soak in the private thermal pools, but not before we've had dinner of course! Last few times we have been extremely disappointed in the options for dinner. We are going this weekend and aside from Huka Lodge - which is a little too (but not by much)upmarket for this occasion - we are at a loss as to where to book? Anyone got any recommendations (I have been through the foodlovers restaurant guide)

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Re: Great Dinner Spot Taupo?
March 21, 2012 01:50AM
Lynley, I rang a friend who has a house in Taupo - for what it's worth he says: 'There's a bloke at the top of the town - it's called...er...just his name....I think he's German....it's opposite the video shop!' I'd say bite the bullet and go to Huka Lodge!
March 21, 2012 02:33AM
Hi Lynley

I can thoroughly recommend JJ Restaurant & Bar, Tuwharetoa Street
Ph: 07 3780830. We go there often and all their meals are beautiful. Would pay to book. Great range of food. From fish to pork belly, duck breasts etc. Their steaks are to die for. Mains in the vicinity of $28.00 to $35.00. I am sure you wont be disappointed. Have a great weekend.

Regards

Jude in Taupo
March 21, 2012 04:16AM
Jude - how are you? thank you - we will try and book here - nice to have persnal recommendations - I think I have walked past this place a few times while doing the Tuwharetoa foodmile and thought it was 'just a bar'
all good - Lynley

March 21, 2012 04:18AM
Stephanie - not sure about the lodge ?? Isn't it communal dining? Simon rang and it's $300 a head I think

March 21, 2012 05:57AM
Hi Lynley

Yes it is a bar and the dining area is upstairs at the back of the bar. Everyone who goes raves about their meal so hope it does not disappoint! Let me know how you get on and what you thought of the meal.

Kind Regards

Jude
March 21, 2012 08:09AM
Milanos a thousand times. Not only is the food great, the waiters are actaully very attentive and make you feel extremely welcome. They also don't overcook your steaks.

Nothing more depressing than paying $30 for a medium rare steak to get a $30 well done steak.

[lingerieheaven.co.nz]
Because life is special, not just February 14.

[blog.lingerieheaven.co.nz]

Great way to use up tomatoes (and darn handy)

Eat well, live well, dress well.
March 21, 2012 09:31AM
Nor does JJ's overcook your steak Lilibeth!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 09:38AM by jude.
March 21, 2012 11:07PM
In my humble opinion, Taupo needs somewhere that caters to people that don't want steak, (or pork or venison or meat du jour)the vegetarian options are depressing - I had the most awful experience last time we were in town....I am not vegetarian, but like to eat vegan some of the time, and it's great to have someone else cook fabulous tasty veg food, but it can be a minefield of inexperience if you don't watch out! We have booked at JJ's but will be there 2 nights - so I will report back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 11:08PM by lynley.
March 23, 2012 04:34AM
On Tap (assume that is JJ??) 42 Tuwharetoa, excellent but noisy when busy

The Brantry in Rifle Range Rd is finer dining and costly, but worth trying
March 26, 2012 07:41AM
Hi all well we are back after our well earned weekend away together. We were booked into JJ's for the saturday night, but still needed a bite to eat on Friday - it was a disaster - overcooked and underwhelming - the best part of the dish I had were the steamed carrots and broccoli and roasted potatoes - it's ok - some people love low key,, and don't mind overcooked - I do and won't go back. Saturday was polar opposite - we went early so we could head back for a soak in the hot tub after dinner - and at first I thought meatfest - but the food was so flavoursome and well cooked it kind of didn't matter too much that the veg option was the ubiquitous pasta and tomato sauce option (something a nine year old can whip up at home in half an hour) - anyhoo - enough grumbling - Simon had a slow roasted duck dish with a hoisin and orange sauce served with orange mash and spinach - it was moist tender and what's not to love - tasted great! I opted for chargrilled salmon on a warm veg salad - and dill dressing - sublime - the salmon was cooked perfectly, the salad was almost nicoise with green beans and potatoes and the dressing was creamy without being too so - everything was seasoned to perfection and the gorgeous waiters were an added bonus! We shared a slice of apple and walnut cake for dessert which was buttery and warm and fresh - seasonality plus! JJ's so glad I met you - we'll definitely be back - just hope the menu gets updated - it can be a little tedious facing the same menu each time.....verdict:yummo!

March 26, 2012 09:40PM
Hi Lynley

So glad you enjoyed it! Where did you eat on Friday night?

Regards

Jude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 09:40PM by jude.
March 26, 2012 10:48PM
Milano - dry overcooked veal parmigiano

March 27, 2012 09:37AM
Oh no! I have been there more than a few times, I wonder if they have changed hands.

So sorry they have changed!

Was the service any good?

[lingerieheaven.co.nz]

March 27, 2012 09:37AM
Oh no! I have been there more than a few times, I wonder if they have changed hands.

So sorry they have changed!

Was the service any good?

[lingerieheaven.co.nz]

March 27, 2012 09:34PM
The service was a mixed bag, lovely and welcoming, but a little clumsy - probably no more than inexperience I suspect, my only issue was the food.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.