Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite ways with turnips

Posted by PennyG 
Favourite ways with turnips
May 30, 2012 03:45AM
I have grown turnips for the first time this year and am looking for some different recipes. So far I have roasted them along with other vegetables and put some in a vege soup. What do you like doing with turnips?
Re: Favourite ways with turnips
May 30, 2012 10:43PM
Nothing, sorry Penny, only eat South Island turnips so haven't eaten one for about 30 yrs.
May 30, 2012 11:46PM
I remember braising them in homemade beef stock one time - they were lovely!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
May 31, 2012 07:33AM
I love them grated in salads,use them where a recipe says Daikon and add them to any stew type dish too.My daughter likes them mashed with butter as a vegetable.We also use thetops in stirfry when they are young.If you juice things a very small ammount adds zing to the vegetable juice too.
June 01, 2012 08:23AM
Lightly cooked then add chopped parsley and a little butter.
June 02, 2012 05:53AM
I cook them gently in fresh chicken stock to cover, with salt, pepper and a big lump of butter. When tender, remove turnips and keep warm, reduce the cooking liquid by boiling hard until it is syrupy, return turnips, check seasoning, add more butter and a squeeze of lemon to serve.
Lu
June 06, 2012 07:53AM
Grate turnips, chop a little bacon. Melt a little butter in pot and add grated turnip and bacon, sweat it of until tender and add chopped parsley. Love it this way !
June 06, 2012 09:56AM
Some years ago now we were invited to a Greek household for dinner and were served Moussaka. The accompaniment was baby turnips that had been steamed and then tossed in hot melted butter and toasted caraway seeds. Surprisingly nice.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.