Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How do I treat a Christmas Pud?

Posted by Gail E 
How do I treat a Christmas Pud?
December 27, 2012 04:12AM
I've been given a homemade Christmas pud, wrapped in a calico cloth.
What is the best way to preserve it please, I really don't want to hang it up to dry as my Nana used to do. It's only been made/boiled about 2 weeks ago so is still quite pliable. We don't plan on eating it until mid year, so any suggestions as to how to preserve it would be much appreciated please.

Thanks

Gail E.
Re: How do I treat a Christmas Pud?
December 27, 2012 05:01AM
You could probably freeze it. I know people freeze Christmas cakes although I haven't tried it myself.
December 27, 2012 06:52AM
Thanks Penny, I had considered that but am unsure what I would have to do when we are ready to eat it.
I am used to boiling them for a few hours prior to consuming - would I have to defrost then wrap in calico cloth and boil as usual?
Oh...the problems these kind people (brother in this case) create when presenting me with items I've long-forgotten how to deal with.
December 27, 2012 08:08AM
I would place it in a plastic bag and remove the air in the bag (still in it's calico cloth), and freeze it. When I want to use the pudding, remove from freezer 24 hours ahead and thaw in fridge still in plastic bag, then boil as normal.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2012 08:09AM by Dawn.
December 27, 2012 09:12AM
Well....I can't ask for a better heads-up than that Dawn! Why can't I think of these things...mind you, if I did, I wouldn't have to visit Food Lovers so often to ask silly questions. Thanks for your never-ending words of wisdom - this isn't the first time you've solved my problems.

Gail E
December 27, 2012 09:27AM
Oh no Gail, not at all are they silly questions! This is part of what Foodlovers is all about and we all learn and/or have differing opinions. Today I've been looking on the internet wondering if I could freeze the half a tin of condensed milk I have left over. You guessed it - I found the answer on Foodlovers!

But back to the Christmas pudding for a second, I've since thought that if you are not comfortable with freezing the pudding in it's cloth, you could remove the cloth before freezing and tie the pudding back in it again before boiling.
Regards,
Dawn.

December 27, 2012 09:47AM
Oh, great that you were able to find the answer to your condensed milk question right here Dawn. We'd be lucky to have 1/2 a tin of C. milk left in the house....someone who shall remain nameless (no, not me!) would drink it like there's no tomorrow, so my only solution is to store it in an inconspicuous looking container and label it as anything but 'condensed milk'.

Thanks for the suggestion of removing the cloth before bagging/freezing....too late. As soon as I'd read your original reply I bagged that sucker and threw it into the depths of the freezer and that is where it's staying until its big unveiling later in the year (if I remember it's there).
December 27, 2012 09:47AM
Oh, great that you were able to find the answer to your condensed milk question right here Dawn. We'd be lucky to have 1/2 a tin of C. milk left in the house....someone who shall remain nameless (no, not me!) would drink it like there's no tomorrow, so my only solution is to store it in an inconspicuous looking container and label it as anything but 'condensed milk'.

Thanks for the suggestion of removing the cloth before bagging/freezing....too late. As soon as I'd read your original reply I bagged that sucker and threw it into the depths of the freezer and that is where it's staying until its big unveiling later in the year (if I remember it's there).

Cheers

Gail E
December 27, 2012 10:17AM
Oh sorry about my afterthought (too late) Gail! I should have 'thought' before I wrote but I'm sure it won't matter, I was just giving you the option.

Don't worry I can scoff my fair share of condensed milk straight from the tin too, but being just after Christmas I managed to restrain myself considering what I've eaten in the past week (plus)! I had some sweet short pastry shells left over and so I decided to make Neenish Tarts out of them to take north with us tomorrow - hence the leftover condensed milk.

Your Christmas pudding will be lovely mid-year fare!
Regards and best wishes for the New Year,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.