Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mashed Spuds Season!!

Posted by judym 
Mashed Spuds Season!!
May 25, 2013 04:51AM
'Tis the season for mashed spuds which of course go so well with so many family winter dishes such as cassaroles, devilled sausages, corned beef, lambs fry & bacon, toppings for shepherd's pie, fish pie etc.

I do get bored though serving the same plain mashed spuds several times a week so please, what do you add to your mashed spuds to give them a little more interest and make them a little different each time???????

One of you mentioned a little while back adding horseradish which I've yet to try but will!! Suspect that would be awesome with corned beef??
Re: Mashed Spuds Season!!
May 25, 2013 07:56AM
Garlic,pesto,cheese and sometimes chives.Lots of real butter and salt and pepper is the first thing of course.
May 25, 2013 10:07AM
mix with some Kumara.I usually 2/3 ptoato and 1/3 Kumara. finely chopped and cooked bacon. Parmesan cheese. chives/parsley....just a few ideas
May 25, 2013 10:26AM
My children like it with onion in it.
I tend to boil the onion with the potatoes to make them a bit more palettable for the kids.

I also add grated cheese.
May 25, 2013 10:27AM
Oh and I also LOVE coleslaw in it... yes mixed in it...
May 25, 2013 10:36AM
Do you dress the coleslaw first Zeetra??
May 27, 2013 05:48AM
Garlic and hot cream... when I am feeling indulgent that is.
Bev
May 27, 2013 06:10AM
A little miso paste mashed in
May 27, 2013 06:22AM
When I mash potatoes I nearly always add chopped parsley, a teaspoon of Green Herb stock and sometimes some mixed herbs if I do have any chopped parsley. If you mash then fork through it, it will come up light and fluffy. Of course I do add salt prior to this. Hope this is helpful to you Judy.
May 27, 2013 07:00AM
* Depending on how many potatoes you're doing, when they're nearly done boiling, pour a good 1/2-3/4C cream in a small saucepan, add a knob of butter and a large handful of minced chives. Set it on a very low heat and let it all slowly melt and infuse while the potatoes finish up. Pour in and mash as usual.

* Add the smashed contents of a head or two of roasted garlic smiling smiley

I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes, but these I can deal with ;-)
May 28, 2013 01:11AM
yes, I dress the coleslaw first, mayonnaise dressing... very tasty.
(Sometimes i use the supermarket stuff)
May 28, 2013 07:31AM
Another idea great at this time of year is to substitute half of the potatoes with chopped cauliflower. It looks and tastes very much the same as all potato but a bit more nutritious. Mash as usual with a bit of parmesan if you like it. For a change when its mashed you can pile it into a gratin dish, sprinkle lightly with parmesan and grill till crispy
May 31, 2013 08:04PM
I almost always add butter and milk, on occasion garlic salt and ready ground black pepper.
July 02, 2013 03:31AM
Testing to see if this bumps up
July 02, 2013 05:19AM
I made a cottage pie recipe yesterday where the mashed spuds were mixed with low fat crème fraiche and some softened leeks...was very tasty and a nice change from the usual mash with cheese on top.

Yes Helen, it did!
July 02, 2013 09:46AM
Oh Griz, that sounds utterly divine!!
July 02, 2013 10:01AM
Lovely ideas here.I remember older cooks used to swear by beating the mashed potatoes with a fork to fluff them up .
July 03, 2013 01:27PM
I mash the potatoes with milk and butter, add a finely chopped onion, then put in an oven dish with grated cheese on top, cook in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden, so yummy.
July 04, 2013 04:02AM
I do most of these, I dry the potatoes after draining with a tea towel on top, I also add a pinch of baking soda to help fluffing them up more whilst mashing and forking...
July 04, 2013 11:59AM
This is very interesting; outside of this thread I've never heard of forking to fluff up after mashing!! Must try it. Do you do it quickly?; and for how long?
July 05, 2013 09:42AM
judym the cook who did this had been cooking for large groups but still mashed with a masher then after adding milk and butter whipped a fork around in it to fluff it up.She must have been strong too as there were huge pots of spuds.I still do it and it does lift it a little
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.