Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Can you freeze yoghurt?

Posted by cantabcook 
Can you freeze yoghurt?
December 10, 2013 09:45PM
The little tubs of natural yoghurt are quite pricey these days so I bought a massive container (planning to use it for several things). Time has frittered away on me though so now I have a gigantic tub and one thing to use it for. I wondered if I could freeze it in one cup servings to use for sauces, baking etc. Anyone else done this or will it result in tears!
Re: Can you freeze yoghurt?
December 10, 2013 10:24PM
It will most likely split when thawed.

How about turning it into labna? Pour the yoghurt into a colander or big sieve which has been lined with cheesecloth or a clean tea towel, sprinkle salt over (a tsp per 500 ml), leave to drain in the fridge for at least 24 hours. It will give off a huge amount of whey, which can be used in baking or sprinkled on the garden, and the thick creamy yoghurt left in the sieve is labna. It can be used to make Middle Eastern dips, or served with most vegetables and most plainly grilled meats.
December 10, 2013 11:50PM
I have frozen yoghurt before, the thicker types such as Greek yoghurt, seem to be the most successful. Yes, it can split, but I usually only use it in smoothies. It gives the advantage of the creaminess plus the icy state that helps give smoothies their volume.
I like the idea of the labna, too.
December 10, 2013 11:51PM
Labna yum
December 11, 2013 02:51AM
It has an actual name!
I used to make my own yogurt but sometimes the batch would fail and not thicken very much so I would drip it through a jelly bag and end up with a sort of sharp cream cheese. I thought I had invented something because of my basic inability to throw anything even remotely usable away! I didn't add salt though.
I'd forgotten all about it until reading it here. It was useful and tasty as I recall. Hmm might try making some again, could be quite useful over the Christmas season.
December 11, 2013 02:59AM
Can't quite figure out why, but sometimes it splits and sometimes it doesn't. I would freeze it and if it does split, then use it for smoothies or in baking.
December 11, 2013 07:24PM
cantabcook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The little tubs of natural yoghurt are quite
> pricey these days so I bought a massive container
> (planning to use it for several things).

hello Cantabcook, pm me and I'll give you my address so you can post me a small self addressed postage paid envelope if you'd like me to send you some milk kefir grains to make your own plain probiotic yoghurt - mine have been growing in raw milk but the silvertop or blue top would be the next best. The grains will store for up to a month in the fridge between batches of fermentation, just take a bit longer to work. The grains double in size every couple of weeks if you make the yoghurt regularly and allows you to make as much or as little yoghurt as needed for the price of the milksmiling smiley Much healthier for you too.
December 11, 2013 11:51PM
Thank you meganp. Will pm shortly.

Just checked out the monster sized tub and it has an expiry date of the end of this month anyway so plenty of time to use it up. I must say though I did a tzatziki (sp) type sauce last night with much more success than usual. Normally I salt my cucumbers for a while then rinse and drain the liquid off and blitz with mint and garlic. Then I mix in the yoghurt but my sauce is quite runny. This time I drained again after blitzing and was amazed at the amount of liquid which still came out. Just added the yoghurt to the pulpy part and we had a glorious and thick sauce on our chicken kebabs. Success!!
December 12, 2013 10:09AM
I freeze close to use by date fruit yoghurt pottles (light Yoghurt) and by the time they are thawed n the fridge at work, You have the most refreshing and delicious yoghurt slushy. so good on a hot day with a bit of fresh fruit. No splitting or separating...comes out good as gold.
February 15, 2014 06:31AM
Yes definately! I do all the time,I buy the discount yougurt at the store and then bring it home and freeze it... its perfectly fine.
It will freeze just like any other yogurt in that it will get hard. The texture afterward should be the same as any other regular yogurt you've frozen and defrosted.Yogurts made with part cream may freeze a little less hard than those made from milk--some of the Fage yogurts.

frozen yoghurt mix
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.