Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Blackboy Peach Icecream Recipe

Posted by ceq 
ceq
Blackboy Peach Icecream Recipe
December 27, 2013 06:22AM
Hi all

I am the lucky recipient of an ice cream maker for Christmas - woo hoo! Now, I'm on the hunt for recipes etc.

One thing I do have in my freezer is some stewed blackboy peaches from my mother in law, that I'm thinking could make some good sorbet or ice cream. I'm fairly sure they've been stewed in sugar, so was wondering if anyone had any tips? The recipes I'm finding so far call for fresh or frozen peaches, not stewed, so if you've got any tips on how to adjust to account for their state, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks!
Re: Blackboy Peach Icecream Recipe
December 27, 2013 11:09PM
I have made blackboy peach sorbet before in my icecream maker. That was just using the syrup however. It seemed a waste to throw out all of that syrup after bottling the peaches so I put some into the icecream maker with a generous slurp of (I think) grand marnier and left the machine to work its magic. I posted a photo on here somewhere so will try to find the old link for you.

I imagine you could use the peach flesh in place of fresh peaches, just strain off the syrup once they have defrosted. I know the syrup can be used by itself for sorbet but you would need a decent amount.

Edited - here is the link with the photo hopefully [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 11:13PM by cantabcook.
December 28, 2013 12:22AM
We have a blackboy peach tree in our garden, it didn't fruit last year, but has fruit on it this year. Are they best bottled? What is the flesh like, one of our friends said they didn't like them as the flesh is too dry. I've only ever had white flesh and golden queen type peaches.
joy
December 29, 2013 07:01AM
Hi Griz, I bottle blackboy peaches every year. My hubby loves them. If the fruit has been picked ripe and the tree had plenty of water while peaches are growing, they shouldnt be dry. Ours are always juicey and sweet. I dont use much sugar when I bottle them. If in doubt, stew a few first and taste them that way before you go to the trouble of preserving them. Like all peaches, I wipe with a damp cloth before preparing them to get rid of the fuzz. We love blackboy crumble.
February 23, 2014 08:20AM
Our blackboys are starting to ripen, but the flesh seems "stringy" somehow, is this normal for this type? It isn't very appetising to us, we prefer the golden queen type for eating. Does the texture change when they are cooked? I'm thinking the tree will probably be removed (it isn't in a good location) and replaced by another that we prefer.
joy
February 26, 2014 08:46AM
Our blackboys aren't stringy, The texture is much the same as the white peaches. Yes golden queen are so nice even though they are cling stone.
March 01, 2014 02:36PM
Thanks for this recipe I never heard of this recipe never before...But, I will try and taste it...

frozen yoghurt mix
March 02, 2014 01:08AM
When we had blackboy peaches growing the only time they were stringy was when we had a very dry season.
March 02, 2014 03:05AM
Do you eat them firm or soft? We've been waiting for ours to soften, but we much prefer white peaches quite firm. I wonder if we are leaving them on the tree for too long. We haven't had an unduly dry summer, the grass is still green, and the tree gets regular watering.
March 02, 2014 03:24AM
We used to eat ours when they were about the texture of a ripe golden queen peach. As with most fruits it is just a matter of your preference. Incidentally, they were nowhere near as popular as they are now. Ours were grown from seedlings from a friend, they grew so quickly; maybe the climate/position was just right for them. At the time I knew very little about gardening and horticulture but we had a large section that was practically bare when we moved in.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.