Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Home Made Yoghurt

Posted by Lorna 
Home Made Yoghurt
January 29, 2014 10:11PM
Currently, I use either the Hansells or Easy-yo packets and a Hansells incubator to make my yoghurt. It would be more economical to make my own using light blue milk and some of the last batch of packet yoghurt mix this first time. If I do this and use the incubator to keep it warm, what temperature should the water be? I ask this because when making yoghurt using the packets, the mixture is made with cold water, but when making it from a live culture starter, the milk is heated to 85ºC then cooled to 45ºC (just a bit warmer than blood-heat). I think boiling water will be too hot and spoil the culture.

I can't find anywhere online that mentions incubating the yoghurt using the simple incubators made by Hansells and Easy-yo; they all use various methods from standing on an electric pad (blanket), to wrapping in duvets, to sitting on an under-heated floor, etc.

Do you make your own yoghurt and if so, what method do you use to incubate it?
Re: Home Made Yoghurt
January 29, 2014 10:55PM
It's OK, folks. I suddenly realised the answer was probably already on Foodlovers somewhere so I used the advanced search function and asked for 'home made yoghurt'. I found a thread from 3 years ago and there were two posts that basically answered my question, one from Jacqueline and one from PennyG and I am thankful for their posts and the search function.
January 29, 2014 11:07PM
Sorry, I haven't found that thread yet, but I do make my own yoghurt from milk & a little of the previous batch, plus some added milk powder.
I heat the milk and milk powder, then cool as you say. Then add the culture.
After mixing, I just put mine in an insulated container (double layer, thermos-type of thing) and wrap in a towel overnight, no heated pads or anything. Not even an easiyo-type maker.

Finding it very successful. I use full cream milk, and switched from Meadow Fresh to Anchor Silver Top, and been finding it much thicker and creamier. Obviously not a low fat variety though winking smiley
January 30, 2014 04:47AM
I incubate mine on the hot water cylinder in a tupperware container wrapped in a towel. I think I responded to the last homemade yoghurt thread with a link to my blog where there is a " how to"
[sundayhotpants.com]
January 31, 2014 09:18AM
Joey, the method I found in the old thread is similar to yours and that's what I did yesterday. The yoghurt is delicious - a bit sharper than the original 1/4 cup I used as the starter culture, but it has more whey. Nevermind, I use the whey in my lunchtime smoothie, or in gravies and soups, so no waste there.
Oh, and the Easy-yo-type maker is simply a double walled plastic container with a polystyrene lining between the two walls - same principle as your thermos.
February 03, 2014 08:42AM
I eat lots of frozen yougurts but are home made yougurts tastier than the ones in the restaurants..??

frozen yoghurt supplier
February 06, 2014 02:58AM
Bit of sneaky advertising there, Russell, under the guise of a question. It depends how both types of yoghurt are made, and who eats restaurant yoghurt anyway?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.