Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Chicken Thighs

Posted by marylew 
Chicken Thighs
May 24, 2015 07:51AM
I see that countdown have skinless chicken thighs on special this week with the bone in. Sometimes Paknsave have them boned and skinless.How do you cook these boned and skinned thighs?I only ever buy chicken thighs with bone and skin on.Are they best suited for a stir fry or does anyone have a special recipe using them?
Re: Chicken Thighs
May 24, 2015 08:29AM
I use them only as they are tasty, moist & easy to deal with. I do stir fry them, flour egg & breadcrumb with parmesan (grated) into it & then brown them & add a nice sauce & finish off cooking them in that.
I very rarely use bought sauces but I tried this one with them & they were a winner with my family. Watti...'s Creations is really nice, I used the Tomato & Basil with Tomato & Parmesan Cheese ones tog. with it (I made a huge amount) & the sauce was one of the best all round.
May 24, 2015 08:44AM
Personally I'm not a fan of thighs, but my mother is and uses boneless/skinless thighs for all recipes calling for chicken meat of any sort.
May 24, 2015 10:03AM
I use them almost exclusively as well, replace chicken breast in any recipe. Especially good for recipes like curries and casseroles where breast meat might dry out, the higher fat content of thighs keeps them moist.
May 24, 2015 10:22AM
I prefer them over chicken breasts, also. I think they have more flavour.
Here is a recipe I use quite often.

Honey-Garlic Chicken Thighs

4 skinless, boneless chicken
thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce

1/3 cup honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil

Place chicken thighs into the bottom of a slow cooker or crockpot.
Whisk soy sauce, tomato sauce, honey, garlic, and basil together in a bowl; pour over the chicken.
Cook on Low for 6 hours. Adapt herb/s and garlic to suit taste. It could just as easily be cooked as a casserole.
May 24, 2015 10:34AM
I made this yesterday, using chicken thighs, though they were not skinned or boned. Like several others, I prefer thighs as they have more flavour and are very moist. I have adapted the recipe from one in the NZ Herald last week and served it with rice. The original recipe had no liquid added, but I thought it would be too dry so added the wine and water plus I swapped the thyme for my own Italian herb mix. It was delicious!

1 aubergine, sliced 1cm thick
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper
8 boneless chicken thighs, skinless
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 lemon, freshly zested and juiced
½ cup black olives
4 tomatoes, cut into quarters
2 teaspoons Italian Herbs
¼ cup red wine
¼ water

Heat oven to 180ºC.

Place eggplant slices into an ovenproof baking dish. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons oil and a little salt & pepper, stir to coat the eggplant and place in hot oven for 10 minutes to soften.

Heat remaining oil in a frying pan and brown chicken on both sides. Place on top of aubergine.

Add garlic, sugar, lemon zest and juice, olives and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add herbs and pour over the wine and water.

Return to oven for 40 minutes until tomatoes soften and chicken juices run clear.
May 24, 2015 11:05AM
I prefer skinless and deboned chicken thighs over chicken breast although I find it really time consuming to prepare them for cooking as there is usually quite a lot of visible fat that I remove before cooking. I find chicken thighs tasty and particularly well suited to slow cooking/baking and for I______n or Thai dishes as they remain moist. I can't abide chicken skin and fat.
May 25, 2015 02:21AM
I use the thighs for several different recipes, including stuffing with cream cheese and apricots and then wrap them in bacon and cook 20-25 mins or in a Chilli Ginger sauce and roast them . Stuffed with feta, sundried tomatoes and pesto and then in stir fries and cut into cubes.

Helen B.
jal
May 25, 2015 10:44AM
My favourite way with boneless, skinless chicken thighs is to marinate them in greek or plain yoghurt which has a good teaspoon or two of harissa (could use red curry paste) stirred through then remove to a foil lined tray and bake for about 30 mins at180 degrees.
May 25, 2015 12:34PM
Jal that sounds really delicious. I'm going to try that one smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.