Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Roast/mashed Potatoes - best ever recipe?

Posted by Vanessa 
Roast/mashed Potatoes - best ever recipe?
July 18, 2015 10:58PM
My kids love spuds but Im not an expert in this area and tend to stick to the basics mash/roast and often feel I use the wrong potato for the job!

Whats the trick for the BEST EVER mash and roast potatoes?

I use olive oil for my roast potatoes just out of habit and health and just add butter and milk to my mash.

Any secret tips and tricks?

Vanessa
Re: Roast/mashed Potatoes - best ever recipe?
July 19, 2015 12:10AM
I don't own a ricer. Once I've added milk and butter and mashed the potatoes, I whip heck out of them with a fork. It makes them fluffier! smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
July 19, 2015 12:14AM
Agrias, a ricer or mouli, lots of butter, salt and white pepper.
July 19, 2015 12:19AM
For roasting I always get a good result if I par-boil the potatoes for 3 or 4 minutes then once drained, I put them back into the saucepan, sprinkle them with a tablespoonful of semolina, shake the pan a bit to rough them up then put the potatoes into very hot oil or whatever fat I am using. Always golden, always crisp.
July 19, 2015 03:39AM
As per TPANDAV, agria potatoes, using a ricer and lots of butter, and warmed milk. I've been using a recipe that was in the June Taste magazine for blue cheese mash, and it is divine! Lots of butter and blue cheese.
I do as Lorna for roast potatoes, except I use flour rather than semolina.
July 19, 2015 05:03AM
What does flour/semolina do for the potatoes please have not heard of this?
July 19, 2015 09:05AM
I always flour potatoes after they have been parboiled. It gives them crunchy bits, well thats what I think
July 19, 2015 09:28AM
For roast potatoes I always par boil for 5 minutes, drain and then rough them up with a fork. I don't use flour and they still end up crunchy.
July 19, 2015 12:39PM
For mashed potatoes I use Agria. I don't have a ricer but quite a good potato masher. I use butter, hot milk and whip like mad with a fork. I finish off with salt and pepper to taste and a good grating of nutmeg.
July 19, 2015 11:59PM
For roast potatoes (always agria) I too par boil - but for quite a bit longer than others it seems, more like 10-12 minutes, until they are almost cooked through (this would be more than "par" boiling, I suppose!). I then drain and leave them to cool in the saucepan. When it is time to put them in the oven, I put the lid back on the saucepan and give it a few swirls and shakes to smoosh/loosen the outside of the potatoes a bit, therefore creating crunchy bits. I drizzle a bit of olive oil on them while in the saucepan. Meanwhile, I have a roasting pan heating in a 210C oven with oil already in it. Then I add the potatoes to the hot pan and cook for about 40 minutes, turning a few times and/or brushing with oil, or until they're looking good.

I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes, but on the odd occasion I make them I'll heat 1/2C cream and 1/2C milk in a small saucepan, with a handful of finely sliced chives and a knob of butter. When that is quite warm, but not boiling, I'll mash it into the potatoes.
July 20, 2015 11:18AM
I think that we all agree that Agria are the potatoes of choice, both to roast and to mash.

However I would have to disagree with those who suggest that when making mashed pototoes, they should be whipped to within an inch of their lives. My understanding is that when you do that, you stir up the starch which then has the potential to make the finished product gluey and gluggy.

Here's my method - after the potatoes are cooked, I leave them sitting in the pot with the lid titled so that the steam escapes and they dry off. I then mash very gently (bog standard acrylic masher, nothing special) and add plenty of butter, white pepper and warm milk or sometimes cream and fold gently, just enough to combine. Like others, I might add chives, cheese etc depending on what they are being served with.

I believe that potato ricers were created to ensure that you can achieve a nice mashed texture without disturbing the starch. I have a ricer with three different inserts but I seldom use it.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 21, 2015 01:27PM
Has anyone tried Goose fat for their roast potato ....
July 21, 2015 10:13PM
I often use duck fat for my roast spuds if I have some in hand, Ngaire. It's a bit decadent, but I like the flavour. No experience with goose fat though, sorry.

As already noted, agrias are best for roasting and mashing (and for chips, incidentally). Don't try them for potato salad though!

I don't eat mashed spuds often (we tend to eat more Asia food most nights) but when I do I tend to make a very decadent version. I start by sautéing a good amount of garlic in an equally good amount of butter. I then add a cake of camembert cheese (most wax removed) and sour cream, heating this through until the cheese is fully melted. If I want a slightly softer mash I will add a bit of milk, again heating this through. Finally I add the cooked spuds (I steam them rather than boil them to reduce water content) and gently blend them in, peel and all. I don't mind if they're a bit lumpy.

This mix also works well as caked, stuffed potatoes, and I used to sometimes make the mash a little firmer (less cream and milk) and crumb balls of the mix and deep fry them. Yeah, I know, it's a wonder I'm still alive! hahahaha.
July 21, 2015 11:47PM
Agria here too, and cook until almost soft and shake up in colander until edges are rough, also I make sure I season my cooking water well with salt.

My mash I like to add a chopped onion and chopped pumpkin for a change then use my ken-wood ricer to mix until smooth adding butter .
July 23, 2015 02:20AM
You guys are the potato experts - awesome!
I never par boil but about to start.
I never have hot fat in a pan first so going to try that and love the idea of flour/semolina to add crispy bits. Blue cheese mash just sounds soooo divine too.

Ive been doing it wrong all these years!
Vanessa
July 24, 2015 05:35AM
Simplesimon, thats a SERIOUS mashed potatoes recipe!
July 24, 2015 09:47AM
I've never done this, too much hassle, but I've read the best chefs bake whole potatoes then use the flesh for mash. Apparently gives a lovely earthy well rounded flavour. I have a ricer, use it sometimes.
July 24, 2015 10:57AM
I've made two lots of mash today, to take with me tomorrow. First was my blue cheese one, and then I whipped up a sour cream and chives one...so good.

Blue cheese mash (from Taste Mag)
800g agria potatoes
150g blue cheese (recipe calls for 100g but I like it with more)
100g butter (yes really!)
150ml warmed milk

Boil potatoes until cooked, drain and put through ricer, whip in diced butter, cheese and warmed milk.

Sour cream and chives mash (made this one up)
800g agria potatoes
150g sour cream
100g butter
50 ml warmed milk
4 tablespoons chopped chives
Follow method as above.

These recipes have no redeeming features, but oh my they're good!
July 26, 2015 03:52AM
Such good tips here for roasting. I'll try par-boiling when I next will be roasting potatoes. Nearly 1 p.m. and I read myself hungry.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.