Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Do you have reactions to certain foods?

Posted by J1 
J1
Do you have reactions to certain foods?
August 12, 2015 03:05PM
I eat pretty naturally (meat, vegs, homemade bread...) and don't have anything caffeinated anymore. So if I eat something "processed", sometimes I feel the effect of it pretty easily. They talk about children becoming hyperactive after eating E colours, etc. Well, I know just how those children feel. If ever I need to stay up all night, all I need to remember is to have some hoisin sauce in my dinner again...... 12.02am, guess I'll go read my book again now....
Re: Do you have reactions to certain foods?
August 12, 2015 10:46PM
The nitrates and nitrites (corn beef, sausages, bacon, hams etc) keep me fizzing all night but a plateful of mustard greens cooked or raw promotes a wonderful sleep. Husband grew several crops of mustard greens to fertilise the gardens and I haven't been able to stop eating them, either as a huge raw salad with a sprinkling of olive oil and red wine vinegar or lightly sautéed. Chowing down on an iceberg lettuce also a useful sleep aid.
August 12, 2015 11:33PM
I can't eat tomatoes and I love them. I have an oesophagus problem.I have been wondering lately if I could maybe grow the non acidic variety this summer?but I don't know yet if I can actually tolerate a non acidic tomato.It's all a bit scary when you have a bad reaction to any type of food or ingredient. It becomes a case of once bitten twice shy.
August 13, 2015 12:43AM
I often get a hangover from raw garlic, my mouth goes dry and I feel as though I have had too much to drink...
Does anyone else get this?
August 13, 2015 01:01AM
Although I love them, I can't eat tamarillos. They make my tongue swell.
August 13, 2015 01:35AM
Any blue cheese, can't walk for a week, my feet swell up within minutes of eating a tiny amount.
J1
August 13, 2015 05:19AM
Oh Kone! I'd be sad to not be able to eat blue cheese - not that I eat much of it but it's nice to have now and again. Glad you mentioned the "chowing down on an iceberg lettuce" as I like to eat some (or all) of one just plain every now and again as it's so refreshing (love the cold of it against something hot like mince too). Haven't tried it or mustard greens as sleep aids though - must give that mustard a go next time I'm fizzing.

I was intrigued by your reaction to raw garlic, Helen, so I looked it up. The internet's got quite a lot of people who feel kind of sick after eating raw garlic. This page talks about the dry mouth bit too - it seems it might be a symptom of allergy to garlic [www.livestrong.com]
August 13, 2015 06:04AM
mushrooms.....which sucks cos i love them but i eat them and within hours ill have the worst stomach cramps sad smiley never have gotten up the money to see if truffles have the same effect tho if they did id be pretty gutted LOL
August 13, 2015 06:47AM
Ahh I had never bothered to question my raw garlic reaction J1 but after reading it I guess I do have a mild allergic reaction.

I
August 13, 2015 06:56AM
Cream, sour cream and ice-cream are an absolute no no for me. Creates stomach cramps and the dreaded diarrhoea. So, have to be extra careful when eating out. Dips and sauces and a few desserts are always suspect and I ask everytime if they contain cream as I have been caught out a few times. This is a recent thing for me. Up until a few years ago I very happily scoffed cream in all it's forms. Oh the pain - quite literally!
Surprisingly cheeses and milk, yoghurt and other dairy products are all ok for me so not a complete dairy intolerance. Is that odd? or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 06:59AM by Lucy.
August 14, 2015 11:18PM
I react to food containing salicylates (most fruit and a wide range of veges) which gives me skin problems. Food containing Fodmaps gives me gut problems. This also cuts out a wide range of foods meaning I'm on a very restricted diet.
August 14, 2015 11:49PM
Lucy I am very similar to yourself. I rarely eat ice cream, but can eat it one time and be fine, and yet another time end up crippled in pain. Sour cream / coconut cream - milk dishes are the same.. OK one time, but not the next. Dips are never a problem. I actually underwent a lactose intolerance test and came through clear.

I tried having Yakults every day as I thought it may be something to do with my gut health, but it made no difference. So I just live with it now.
J1
August 15, 2015 07:29AM
Catz's mention of mushrooms......my mother had her gallbladder out and after that she could no longer eat mushrooms or Wattie's Baked Beans - she'd just bring them all back up again. The ways of the body can be strange indeed.....
August 15, 2015 11:13AM
I can't eat raw carrots, or hazelnuts - I get an anaphylactic reaction - rather scary. It's something that just developed a few years ago, and it's amazing just how many things have either in them, when I'm eating out. And picking carrot out of salads makes my fingers itch and go red, so I usually ask if anything has it in the dish. I wonder what is in both that I react to, as they are so very different. As a child, I used to get hives from all the beautiful summer fruits, tomatoes, cauliflower and bananas (poor Mum lol), but grew out of that a long time ago thank goodness.
August 15, 2015 11:53AM
Peeling potatoes and cutting tomatoes makes my skin itch and burn, yet I can eat them both no problem.
August 17, 2015 01:16AM
My mum had a reaction to either chilli or mussels on Christmas day. Her throat was restricted and not by a mussel getting stuck. it was very scary, almost to the point of feeling wanting to poke a knife in her throat. She recovered pretty quickly and now stays away from both things.
I also had a friend who was super allergic to seafood, to the point of kissing someone who had eaten it caused her lips to swell. She actually grew out of it in her 50s!
Im not allergic to anything but lots of students at school report allergic reactions to so many things! Its epidemic...
Vanessa
August 17, 2015 02:46AM
Helen - I also have a weird reaction to raw garlic - it makes me feel quite sick in my stomach. Cooked is fine though. Raw Onions also don't agree with me

I love eggs, but sometimes they can make me feel not quite right - however I love them too much to give them up.
August 17, 2015 06:17AM
There are foods I don't like but to date I can eat anything!
August 21, 2015 06:25AM
I have an intolerance to shellfish and capsicum. Pity, because husband loves both. I can't even prep capsicum as the smell gets to me!
August 22, 2015 08:06AM
Not really a reaction as such but the smell of banana makes me want to vomit. I even feel sick walking past the display in the supermarket and so avoid that aisle if I possibly can. I can't stand to be in the same room as someone eating one, and I can smell it on hubby's breath if he kisses me after eating one. He's tried to fool me enough times and been caught out that he knows now not to bother!
August 25, 2015 10:33AM
Marnie - I too have a reaction to tamarillos they make me violently ill. Not sure what it is about them they are the only food that I really react to.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.