Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Damson plums

Posted by Heather F 
Damson plums
February 01, 2016 11:18PM
Hi FL, I picked my crop of damsons last night (ahead of heavy rain forecast for today and they were right) - the best since I've had the tree (7 years) and got 8.5kg off a small tree!
I'm going to give some away, and make some jam, but I'd like to make a tangy/spicy sauce to have with cold meat, or a chutney, so if anyone has a recipe, I'd really appreciate that.
Re: Damson plums
February 02, 2016 01:44AM
I can personally recommend this recipe, Heather.: [www.deliaonline.com]
Lynne2
February 02, 2016 04:43AM
Damson plums are exquisite...lucky you, Heather. I would make Delia's recipe if I had them!
February 02, 2016 09:56AM
Thanks Lynne2 - that's looks exactly like what I'm after - yum! Though leaving it alone for 3 months is a bit hard lol.
Yes I'm quite chuffed Stephanie by such a big crop. Not many Aussies here have even heard of damson plums - they must be quite an old-fashioned fruit. I've given some to a chef friend - a fellow ex-pat from Hamilton, and his eyes lit up!
February 02, 2016 09:58PM
I note that Delia says to cook the fruit in vinegar and then remove the stones wearing rubber gloves. In my experience, once the stones separate from the fruit, they rise to the surface and can be skimmed off with a slotted spoon. Once the chutney is ready , just keep an eye open when bottling for the odd stone that may have been missed.

Or you can count the plums before starting and then count the number of stones retrieved, looking for any that haven't come to the surface. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 09:59PM by Lorna.
February 03, 2016 04:25AM
Thanks Lorna - I did notice that too. When I've made the jam in the long distant past, I've skimmed the stones off. I don't know about the counting though - I'm a bit OCD with that sort of thing and if I got interrupted or lost count, I'd probably be there forever rofl!
February 03, 2016 09:12AM
I doubt that I waited 3mths before opening a jar of the first batch I made Heather, but I can understand the sense in letting it mature for a reasonable time. It is probably the best chutney I've ever made in terms of the intensity and depth of flavour. The current jar I have open is 2 yrs old and it's sublime. I used large Vegemite jars with screw on plastic lids which are super airtight, so the quality and texture is well preserved. I have 2 jars left and a bag of damsons in the freezer so thanks for prompting me to replenish the stock.

I just skimmed the stones which floated to the top. So you might miss a few, but you'll soon find them when you serve the chutney - no big deal.
Lynne2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 09:16AM by Lynne2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.