Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cheese wedding cake

Posted by helen 
Cheese wedding cake
March 01, 2016 03:45AM
I am putting together a cheese wedding cake for some friends and having not been to a wedding for some years I didn't actually even know that people did these.

Essentially it is wheels of cheese stacked on top of each other as tiers with dried fruit, walnuts, figs etc... for decoration.
The cake is cut in the usual way and served with bread and crackers.

Such a good idea I think as I would much rather eat cheese than fruit cake.

Have you seen these?

Re: Cheese wedding cake
March 01, 2016 05:02AM
What a smart idea! How would it be cost wise? A club I am in had a 25th anniversary so we had a huge iced cake. Less than a quarter of it got eaten, but I bet if it was cheese it would have all gone.

Super good thinking.
March 01, 2016 05:10AM
We went to a family wedding in Wellington a month ago and a 'cheese' cake was the wedding cake - first time I've seen this too Helen. It was a wonderful idea with the fruit as decoration, in fact I did not believe my eyes at first take - I was told it was a 'Cheesecake' and that's what I was expecting to see, as in sweet!

After the church service the wedding guests were taken a short distance by bus to a beach location on a perfect, sunny (and very hot), windless afternoon, where a table was laid out with the cheese cake and a wonderful assortment of breads, crackers etc., and drinks. Yes, the Bride and Groom cut straight down into it as in a traditional wedding cake (but possibly with a little more effort than a fruit cake) and we toasted to the Bride and Groom and enjoyed a beautiful assortment of cheeses and breads in a picturesque beach setting. Lovely! And you are right Helen, it was rather nice to eat cheese rather than fruit cake. After the wedding breakfast we were all given a very rich and decadent and especially made for the occasion Chocolate Truffle presented in a little shiny golden paper cup.
Regards,
Dawn.
March 01, 2016 05:11AM
My sister had one for her 80th birthday. It looked splendid and there was lots left over which meant nearest and dearest benefited with generous wedges of superb French cheese to take home. Her layers were decorated with walnuts and figs and various other dried fruits and nuts and a drizzle of caramelised maple syrup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 05:13AM by Stephanie T.
joy
March 01, 2016 08:47AM
What a nice idea. Think of the hours and days of icing it would save too?
March 01, 2016 09:12AM
Definitely quicker to assemble - though there are many other cake options that avoid the traditional fruit option. Just had to get that in there as I'd choose cheese over fruit cake but other cake flavours over cheese. ;-)

It is a great concept - I'm all for the trend of people bucking tradition and doing what suits them.

Visit Mrs Cake's blog at [www.mrscake.co.nz]
March 01, 2016 12:44PM
Yes, a friend had this at her wedding about eight years ago -it looked gorgeous! Alas, as the bride was unexpectedly pregnant she couldn't eat much of itsmiling smiley.
March 01, 2016 09:58PM
Ali I have been getting in prices and they seem to start at about $300 and then go up to about $700, depending on how many tiers and the types of cheese chosen.

Whitestone, Gibston Valley, Kapiti and Sabato all actively promote cheese cakes.
March 02, 2016 11:57AM
My niece had a cheese wedding cake and have facebook messaged her with this link to add her "cake" photo. I remember it was beautiful to look at.
March 03, 2016 12:19AM
Stephanie sent this image through of an 80th birthday cheese cake.

March 03, 2016 06:35AM
Hello,

Clare's niece here.

Yes, we did have a cheese cake as our wedding cake. We didn't have enough people at our wedding to warrant a tiered extravaganza (though it was seriously considered as we adore cheese), what we ended up doing was going to Mercer Cheese and having them cut wedges of the same shape and size from about five (I think) different cheeses, we then decorated it with grapes. I'll attach a pic.

Love a good cheese cake at a wedding - especially good if dessert is being served in another form, it's a nice way to end a meal smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 12:54AM by helen.
Attachments:
open | download - cake.jpg (49.4 KB)
April 03, 2016 01:22AM
Ta Da! Here is the wedding cake I put together yesterday.
We left the truffle brie off the stack as it was going to be too soft and end up squashed.
Instead we just served it as we served the others.
It was perfect timing for my fig tree and we also used fresh NZ walnuts and dried muscatels.
It was served with bubbly immediately after the service, the day was gorgeous (Waiheke) and pretty much all but half of the largest wheel was demolished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2016 01:23AM by helen.
April 04, 2016 01:57AM
That wedding cheesecake made up from Mercer cheese ( my favourite cheese and they won 2 awards recently) looks great, more balanced. The bride and groom look lovely too! Congrats !
April 04, 2016 03:11AM
I've never seen this idea, but I absolutely love it! Quite often the cake is not even handed out and eaten after the cake cutting, as a lot of weddings I have been to also have a dessert as part of dinner.

I can imagine it would be expensive - however a wedding cake can quite easier cost $800!

Awesome idea and Impressive to look at - I can imagine this might be the next BIG thing at weddings - especially if your going for the rustic look.
Bev
April 04, 2016 05:25AM
Looks fantastic Helen, well done smiling smiley
April 04, 2016 05:49AM
It looks wonderful and was thinking a smaller version, arranged like that, for a much smaller party/dinner would look good for dessert, too. Rather than the more traditional cheese board.
April 05, 2016 11:59PM
I went to a wedding and they had the cheese cake. It was similiarly dressed as the 80th birthday cheese cake. I thought it a brilliant idea and after the meal it was lovely to have cheese and crackers instead of a heavy fruit cake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.